Re-Launch of Neighbourhood Watch in Sheffield

I lost interest in your post when I read, "....it IS the fault of the house holder if they are burgled due to advertising their home as an unnecessary easy target"

Because it isn't.

It's the fault of the thief.

It's the fault of the thief.

The thief doesn't care what you think, he wants to steal your stuff in the easiest way possible without the risk of being caught. He's probably glad you and others feel like you do and continue to offer him easy pickings. Me, I'll continue to take full responsibility for my own security, hence why I've NEVER had anything stolen from me. :)

I hope ALL your posts are not going to be about Crime-fighting and community support. After a while it will become tedious.

Are you advertising or something?

Maybe he is Batman ?

Maybe he is Batman ?

Yeah mart, you got a problem with Batman too? What about Superman, Iron man, Spiderman and all the other, "man's" who protect and serve our communities? It's a thankless task and from what I understand, none of them get paid.

The thief doesn't care what you think, he wants to steal your stuff in the easiest way possible without the risk of being caught. He's probably glad you and others feel like you do and continue to offer him easy pickings. Me, I'll continue to take full responsibility for my own security, hence why I've NEVER had anything stolen from me. :)

Well good for you. I get the impression that smug feeling you've got will last all day, so I'm glad to help.

BTW, I don't offer 'easy pickings'. But I can easily understand how someone can make a simple mistake and leave a door / window open. Or quickly nip into a shop and leave something on display in the car. Because, that's life. Stuff happens.

What I'm trying to say, which you're purposely ignoring, is that the blame still lies with the thief. I don't care what he thinks. I don't care what he thinks about me. But the thief is the one in the wrong.

It's as though you're saying that if a window or door is left open, the thief isn't to blame. Therefore, do you think we should just 'let them off'? "Oh well, Mrs Smith left her back door open. It's her own fault. Mrs Smith obviously encouraged the thief by her stupid actions, so the poor burglar can't be blamed for entering her property and stealing her belongings. The thief isn't to blame and isn't responsible. Mrs Smith is."

See how stupid it sounds?

But I can easily understand how someone can make a simple mistake and leave a door / window open. Or quickly nip into a shop and leave something on display in the car. Because, that's life. Stuff happens.

None of those things have EVER happened to me, why is that you suppose? If you show yourself as a victim, you become one.

What I'm trying to say, which you're purposely ignoring, is that the blame still lies with the thief. I don't care what he thinks. I don't care what he thinks about me. But the thief is the one in the wrong.

You're missing the point, because the thief doesn't care, he will continue to look for easy pickings. That's NEVER going to change. So by default, the responsibility lies with the homeowner. This is really obvious logic.

It's as though you're saying that if a window or door is left open, the thief isn't to blame. Therefore, do you think we should just 'let them off'? "Oh well, Mrs Smith left her back door open. It's her own fault. Mrs Smith obviously encouraged the thief by her stupid actions, so the poor burglar can't be blamed for entering her property and stealing her belongings. The thief isn't to blame and isn't responsible. Mrs Smith is."

See how stupid it sounds?

Tell that to the insurance company who won't pay out. :roll eyes:

Learn the rules, play by them, don't get burned. Easy.

So by default, the responsibility lies with the homeowner. This is really obvious logic.

So the responsibility doesn't lie with the thief? Is that really what you're saying??

I think I'll step away from this thread, because you're obviously on a wind up.

So the responsibility doesn't lie with the thief? Is that really what you're saying??

I think I'll step away from this thread, because you're obviously on a wind up.

No need, I'll let you crack on, I've said what I needed to say, you needed putting right, and I've done that using clear logic. Your way, nothing changes, my way, people don't get burgled. Happy days.

I don't have a smartphone but I'd like to be involved and think I have a lot to offer. Any chance of being provided with a smartphone to assist and make contributions to this programme?

Surely, if we have the will and proven commitment to police our own neighbourhoods, then we should be provided with the necessary tools, or is this going to be a major stumbling block?

Edited by Mr Bloom

OP

If you have so much time to give to the fight against crime, why not start a lobby group against soft punishments, then pressure the people that want and need your votes?

It is all well and good educating Joe public to use common sense, and that is all it is. Hide your stuff from view you say, lock your doors and windows. Get an alarm and CCTV. Get a big dog. But, here is the thing, until the law is such that the penalty for crime is a REAL DETERENT (and I’m not talking jail terms) the drug addicts etc will continue stealing from us.

What you are doing is like approaching the 18 yr old hottie who has been raped, and saying wear a longer skirt, don’t put make-up on.

I am not advocating chopping hands off. Saudi Arabia, although they still have some crime, it is nothing compared to the UK. Why do you think that is? Put your time to better use.

Note: When Nigal farage gets in power and we leave the interferring EU, we will have got rid of a lot of the do-gooders that prevent such penalties.

Edited by mart

The O.P. doing a public service wether advertising or not .

Would it not be the responsibility of any person performing a public service to distribute and disseminate their message by any reasonable means?

---------- Post added 25-08-2014 at 18:20 ----------

I don't have a smartphone but I'd like to be involved and think I have a lot to offer. Any chance of being provided with a smartphone to assist and make contributions to this programme?

Surely, if we have the will and proven commitment to police our own neighbourhoods, then we should be provided with the necessary tools, or is this going to be a major stumbling block?

Mr Bloom: In the event that you don't have a smart phone you still welcome to attend the meeting.

Meeting is at Sheffield Hallam University on Wednesday the 27th at 7 PM. it is a public meeting, but if you'd like to follow this link you can book a ticket https://t.co/0F0EcmGkFz[url/]

If you have a smart phone you would be able to interact and participate at the meeting, but if don't, or if you have a computer at home you can still access the same information by following www.twitter.com/watch Sheffield.

further info or support: please email us; [email protected]

Thank you

---------- Post added 25-08-2014 at 18:34 ----------

The police do have some unpaid workers, these include police volunteers and special constables.

Neighbourhood Watch ( NW) ,membership is from our community, it is formed of public minded individuals with honesty and integrity that put the interests of the community ahead of what they do for themselves in the spirit of Neighbourliness.

NW is a non-political organisation, and it reasonably explores all opportunities to promote community cohesion and public safety in the face of sometimes unpleasant crime.

We are the first line of victim reduction.

By looking out for our neighbours (you) and sharing what has been earlier called common sense[b/], these tips we promote target hardening

To simply lessen the suffering or reduce the likelihood of You[b/] joining the collective number of victims over the years.

---------- Post added 25-08-2014 at 18:50 ----------

Unfortunately I can't agree with your post as you clearly don't appear to have heard of the concept of "contributory negligence" (common law).

The burglar is responsible under Criminal Law for there actions

Is there evidence in your quote that it is felt its all the burglars fault, or are you responsible at all for your actions if you leave a door open?.

If anyone considers that to be the case, if I may suggest assuming you have an insurance policy you inspect the wording it can advise.

There are a significant number of reasons why most insurance companies refuse to pay out on claims I am told leaving doors or windows open can be one reason.

Contributory negligence is often apparently referred to in policy wording.

Far be it from Neighbourhood Watch ever to tell anyone what to do, but we are quite happy to point out any identified vulnerability: or we would be considered negligent by others I might suggest.

Edited by NWSheffield
complaint

It's unacceptable that anyone from a neighbourhood watch group should place the blame with a householder. It seems to be a common theme though recently. I even pulled the police up on it last week on Twitter. Woodhouse Safer Neighbourhood Team were busy taking pictures of valuables 'left on display' in vehicles in Woodhouse, then making derogatory remarks about the vehicle owners.

We need to STOP criminalising and blaming ordinary citizens going about their business. Any blame should be placed firmly on the THIEF! Not the person who has left a window / door open, or left something on display.

Whoever is controlling the NWSheffield account needs to think before they post, because they're coming across as childish and unprofessional in many of their posts, and it undermines the work they're trying to do.

Today, less than one in two of us (46%) has taken on board security measures such as installing extra window and door locks. Meanwhile, door chains and spy holes (35%) and external security lights are present in just a third (34%) of households.

Even more incredibly, despite being aware of the risk of burglary, just three quarters of adults are careful about locking up when they leave their home. Some 66% of Brits claim to live in an area where there is a medium to low risk of burglary and 18% believe they live in a medium to high risk area. However, as many as a quarter (26%) of all Brits fail to check their doors and windows when they leave home, rising to a staggering 34% of those living in a high risk area.