Re-Launch of Neighbourhood Watch in Sheffield

A Re-Launch of Sheffield’s Neighbourhood Watch Wednesday 27th Aug at Sheffield Hallam University – All welcome. linkhttp://goo.gl/ZPJgzy

Please do your best to attend view want to make a difference in your community.

We are here to help you, help each other with honesty and integrity in the fight against crime.

We are the community helping the community.

For information on how to join neighbourhood watch email:oursheffield@gmail.com

Hopefully see you at the meeting. Cheers

---------- Post added 23-08-2014 at 14:10 ----------

Dear neighbour and fellow citizen of Sheffield

This is a really important meeting if you got the time to spare please make it their, hopefully see you on the 27th.

Edited by NWSheffield
Spelling

I hope ALL your posts are not going to be about Crime-fighting and community support. After a while it will become tedious.

Are you advertising or something?

I hope ALL your posts are not going to be about Crime-fighting and community support. After a while it will become tedious.

The not the be all about crime and the longer the be all about the negative stories to be truthful.

However we are trying to invite people to take part in looking after their own community I was interested?

---------- Post added 23-08-2014 at 14:37 ----------

Our posts are not all about crime but they are about Sheffield our community and how we can help ourselves.

If you'd like to contribute feel free... Any comments are welcome!

However, we are trying to invite people to take a more active part in neighbourhood watch.

Particularly if they are interested in looking after their own community? I was interested, and that's why I've started posting:-)

The not the be all about crime and the longer the be all about the negative stories to be truthful.

However we are trying to invite people to take part in looking after their own community I was interested?

Please translate the bold.

Edited by nikki-red

Sorry typo

to be honest I am not quite sure either now its been a while since I wrote it..:o

Excellent News!

We've just booked our tickets on Eventbrite!

See you there! :thumbsup:

The O.P. doing a public service wether advertising or not .

Edited by nikki-red
fixed quote

I Thought the Police already had unpaid workers doing their job.

PCso's?

A good thread, and very useful. Heaven knows, we need more community spirit these days.

However a similar thread yesterday on these lines did not last very long... over zealous moderatoration perhaps?

The O.P. doing a public service wether advertising or not .

A good thread, and very useful. Heaven knows, we need more community spirit these days.

However a similar thread yesterday on these lines did not last very long... over zealous moderatoration perhaps?

It wasn't over zealous moderation, the OP was spamming the forum with post after post. It wasn't necessary. They'd be better doing some kind of weekly post, if they see the need to inform people of every single burglary in the city.

If you look at their post count, it says 19, yet when you go into their posts, there's only 4 left. So the mods felt 15 of their posts weren't needed, and I actually agree.

Also, they really need to work on their spelling and grammar. I'm not one to pick up on stuff like that normally, but they're representing an organisation, so should really be making more of an effort. Most of their posts came across as completely unprofessional.

But the biggest gripe I have, is one of their posts yesterday where they were blaming the householder for being burgled, because they'd left a door or window open.

It's unacceptable that anyone from a neighbourhood watch group should place the blame with a householder. It seems to be a common theme though recently. I even pulled the police up on it last week on Twitter. Woodhouse Safer Neighbourhood Team were busy taking pictures of valuables 'left on display' in vehicles in Woodhouse, then making derogatory remarks about the vehicle owners.

We need to STOP criminalising and blaming ordinary citizens going about their business. Any blame should be placed firmly on the THIEF! Not the person who has left a window / door open, or left something on display.

Whoever is controlling the NWSheffield account needs to think before they post, because they're coming across as childish and unprofessional in many of their posts, and it undermines the work they're trying to do.

But the biggest gripe I have, is one of their posts yesterday where they were blaming the householder for being burgled, because they'd left a door or window open.

If you leave a door or window open, you heighten the chance an opportunist thief will take advantage. Because we live in THE REAL WORLD and not an IDEAL world it IS the fault of the house holder if they are burgled due to advertising their home as an unnecessary easy target. We are all responsible for our own home security. This is obvious logic. The police don't have eyes on every house. They can only respond to crime after the event or if a crime is reported during the actual crime. I'm not even sure the insurance company would pay out in this instance.

It's unacceptable that anyone from a neighbourhood watch group should place the blame with a householder.

No it's not.

It seems to be a common theme though recently. I even pulled the police up on it last week on Twitter. Woodhouse Safer Neighbourhood Team were busy taking pictures of valuables 'left on display' in vehicles in Woodhouse, then making derogatory remarks about the vehicle owners.

Rightly so. They are advertising themselves as easy targets which increases crime.

Any blame should be placed firmly on the THIEF!

Newsflash, the thief doesn't care if you blame him, he's still going to steal your stuff if you advertise your goods as easy pickings.

Not the person who has left a window / door open, or left something on display.

I would never leave a window or door open nor advertise expensive valuables on display in a window or car, because I take responsibility for myself and my belongings as I want be able to claim on my insurance if the worst happens.

Stop making excuses for stupidity, we live in the real world.