Ebola - God cured me!

You mean like
?

While many Christian families in Oklahoma (part of America's infamous bible belt) sat at home praying that the Lord would save them from the approaching tornado, Rebecca was tracking the progress of the storm online. When it became apparent the tornado was going to hit them, she took her baby and bailed, driving to safety and leaving her town behind. 24 people who stayed behind were killed and a further 353 injured.

She's become a bit of an internet phenomenon, regarded as brave for admitting her atheism on TV while living in the bible belt.

Comedian Doug Stanhope raised over $125,000 for her.

The people who stayed behind had faith that their God would keep them safe but he didn't.

God gave us our common sense so we use it , or discernment a gift of the spirit

You're not born with common sense! How many times did you say "no" or "be careful" to your children?

You mean like
?

While many Christian families in Oklahoma (part of America's infamous bible belt) sat at home praying that the Lord would save them from the approaching tornado, Rebecca was tracking the progress of the storm online. When it became apparent the tornado was going to hit them, she took her baby and bailed, driving to safety and leaving her town behind. 24 people who stayed behind were killed and a further 353 injured.

She's become a bit of an internet phenomenon, regarded as brave for admitting her atheism on TV while living in the bible belt.

Comedian Doug Stanhope raised over $125,000 for her.

The people who stayed behind had faith that their God would keep them safe but he didn't.

I bet she finds it hard to now get service anywhere fast, and she will have an interesting time finding a different job if she stays there. The tub thumpers down there are rather shall we say parochial on these matters...

I bet she finds it hard to now get service anywhere fast, and she will have an interesting time finding a different job if she stays there. The tub thumpers down there are rather shall we say parochial on these matters...

I think that's why Stanhope raised that money for her, he knew she'd struggle. $125,000 would be a big help if they were wanting to move somewhere more tolerant.

If you haven't watched the Doug Stanhope clip, I think you'd like it.

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 15:02 ----------

So what happened to the common sense of the faithful people who stayed?

NO - (Isaiah 48:17) : I am the LORD your God. I teach you what is best for you. I lead you where you should go.

what guidance does an atheist have ?

The same as you. Morals - except mine are relevant to society and dependant on outdated things.

I mean your god teaches me things like rampant homophobia for a start...

Don't touch the pigs because you know, pigs

and cloth made of 2 threads is bad. So polycotton is right out. As is polyester stiteched cotton - so that's almost everything wearable

And when you need a number 2 walk away from the city dig a hole in the ground and do yer business and then cover it up etc.

Oh and don't forget it's possible to sell daughters into slavery.

And while we are at it, my assistant did some work for me last Sunday - can you tell me in what way I have to put him to death?

Fine set of morals and teachings your god has.

NO (matthew 5:5) "Blessed are the meek,

for they will inherit the earth"

What future does an atheist look forward too ?

A frostry drive home, beef and ale pie tonight, the sound of my Scout troop having fun at the camp this weekend, and watching them grow up, golf with my father... growing old and curmudgeonly with the wife and shouting and geese crapping on the lawn, finding ways to scare the newphews on Halloween, buying birthday presents, and seeing the Sphinx on the Egyptian tour we still haven't done...

Why do I need a god to look forward to. Is this life so terrible I need the carrot of eternal salvation to put up with it?

NO- (John 15:13)

"No one has love greater than this, that someone should surrender his life in behalf of his friends "

What leader to atheists have with such devotion to there subjects ?

Why do you assume we all must have such a leader? :huh:

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 15:11 ----------

God gave us our common sense so we use it

Like when you pinched a photo of some potter and tried to pretend it was you? That sort of common sense?

I don't need any kind of leader in my life, I'm capable enough without one.

I find it's usually poor lost soles who need some kind of guidance in their lives who turn to 'God ' .......... vulnerable people who are easily lead.

I find it's usually poor lost soles who need some kind of guidance in their lives who turn to 'God ' .......... vulnerable people who are easily lead.

As adults yes. But then there are kids who are groomed into it from birth. Both are insidious.

Teeny here is obviously a good soul but some of the stuff that people in her(?) past have pumped into her(?) head is absolutely disgraceful.

Do you think the following people were 'poor lost souls' and 'vulnerable/easily led':

(to name a few)..

Albert Einstein

Max Planck

Guglielmo Marconi

Arthur Compton

Abdus Salam

Winston Churchill

Jimmy Carter

Theodore Roosevelt

Nelson Mandela

Isaac Newton

Galileo Galilei

Nicolaus Copernicus

Johannes Kepler

Francis Bacon

Blaise Pascal

They all believed in God and adhered to a faith.

Think they did pretty well for lost souls.. don't you?

As adults yes. But then there are kids who are groomed into it from birth. Both are insidious.

Teeny here is obviously a good soul but some of the stuff that people in her(?) past have pumped into her(?) head is absolutely disgraceful.

Seriously nobody pumped me with anything my spiritual growth is from my own learning and choice , for example i didn't always attend church on a Sunday as I did swimming and other sports activities , there was never any arguments saying I had to go to church ! my Mum and family were supportive , I sorted out groups to attend so that my faith would grow, but it was me that did that not my mother ! I chose to follow the teaching of the church and found faith, and knowledge in my life of God

---------- Post added 15-01-2016 at 17:37 ----------

there are lots of people in churches of different characters but there are also so very strong people in thee churches who do awesome things in the name of Jesus Christ

Do you think the following people were 'poor lost souls' and 'vulnerable/easily led':

(to name a few)..

Albert Einstein

Max Planck

Guglielmo Marconi

Arthur Compton

Abdus Salam

Winston Churchill

Jimmy Carter

Theodore Roosevelt

Nelson Mandela

Isaac Newton

Galileo Galilei

Nicolaus Copernicus

Johannes Kepler

Francis Bacon

Blaise Pascal

Einstein does not belong on this list for a start

Einstein does not belong on this list for a start

It was recently revealed that, toward the end of his life, Albert Einstein wrote a letter in which he dismissed belief in God as superstitious and characterized the stories in the Bible as childish. During a time when atheists have emerged rather aggressively in the popular culture, it was, to say the least, discouraging to hear that the most brilliant scientist of the twentieth century seemed to be antipathetic to religion. It appeared as though Einstein would have agreed with the Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harrises and Richard Dawkins of the world in holding that religious belief belongs to the childhood of the human race.

It just so happens that the revelation of this letter coincided with my reading of Walter Isaacson’s wonderful biography of Einstein, a book that presents a far more complex picture of the great scientist’s attitude toward religion than his late career musing would suggest. In 1930, Einstein composed a kind of creed entitled “What I Believe,” at the conclusion of which he wrote: “To sense that behind everything that can be experienced there is something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense...I am a devoutly religious man.” In response to a young girl who had asked him whether he believed in God, he wrote: “everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe—a Spirit vastly superior to that of man.” And during a talk at Union Theological Seminary on the relationship between religion and science, Einstein declared: “the situation may be expressed by an image: science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.”

These reflections of Einstein—and he made many more like them throughout his career—bring the German physicist close to the position of a rather influential German theologian. In his 1968 book Introduction to Christianity, Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI, offered this simple but penetrating argument for God’s existence: the universal intelligibility of nature, which is the presupposition of all science, can only be explained through recourse to an infinite and creative mind which has thought the world into being. No scientist, Ratzinger said, could even begin to work unless and until he assumed that the aspect of nature he was investigating was knowable, intelligible, marked by form. But this fundamentally mystical assumption rests upon the conviction that whatever he comes to know through his scientific work is simply an act of re-thinking or re-cognizing what a far greater mind has already conceived.

Ratzinger’s elegant proof demonstrates that, at bottom, religion and science ought never to be enemies, since both involve an intuition of God’s existence and intelligence. In fact, many have argued that it is no accident that the modern physical sciences emerged precisely out of the universities of the Christian west, where the idea of creation through the divine word was clearly taught. Unhappily, in far too many tellings of the history of ideas, modernity is seen as emerging out of, and in stark opposition to, repressive, obscurantist, and superstitious Christianity. (How many authors, up to the present day, rehearse the struggles of Galileo to make just this point). As a result, Christianity—especially in its Catholic expression—is often presented as a kind of foil to science, when in fact there is a deep congruity between the disciplines that search for objective truth and the religion that says, “in the beginning was the Word.”

What sense, then, can we make of Einstein’s recently discovered letter? Given the many other things he said about belief, perhaps it’s best to say that he was reacting against primitive and superstitious forms of religion, just as St. Paul was when he said that we must put away childish things when we’ve come of age spiritually. And what of his dismissal of the Bible? Here I think we have to make a distinction. A person can be a genius in one field of endeavor and remain naïve, even inept, in another. Few would dispute that Einstein was the greatest theoretical physicist of the last century, but this is no guarantee that he had even an adequate appreciation for Sacred Scripture. The “infantile” stories of the Bible have been the object of sophisticated interpretation for two and half millenia. Masters such as Origen, Philo, Chrysostom, Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, and John Henry Newman have uncovered the complexity and multivalence of the Bible’s symbolism and have delighted in showing the literary artistry that lies below its sometimes deceptively simple surface.

So I think we can say in conclusion that religious people can, to a large extent, claim Einstein as an ally, though in regard to Scripture interpretation, we can find far better guides than he.

Originally posted at Word on Fire. Used with author's permission.

(Image credit: Majzooban)art[/quote

(to name a few)..

Albert Einstein

Max Planck

Guglielmo Marconi

Arthur Compton

Abdus Salam

Winston Churchill

Jimmy Carter

Theodore Roosevelt

Nelson Mandela

Isaac Newton

Galileo Galilei

Nicolaus Copernicus

Johannes Kepler

Francis Bacon

Blaise Pascal

Yes but there is a fine line between genius and madness.