Getting through to a GP

The lady with the anxiety attacks is a case in point. She needs help that her GP obviously hasn't offered her, probably due to the shortage of mental health intervention, an area that is contracting when it desperately needs to increase.

The lady will have been taught many times in A&E the techniques for bringing herself out of an attack. She admitted to the Dispatches reporter that if there was to be a 'call out charge' for her attacks, then she would have to start bringing herself out of them. She knows what to do, but she chooses to have someone from the NHS present with her every time.

Mental health is stretched but it doesn't help when people come up with new things to be anxious about. Reading the other day that someone was demanding taxis because they have anxiety issues over using buses.

Mental health is stretched but it doesn't help when people come up with new things to be anxious about. Reading the other day that someone was demanding taxis because they have anxiety issues over using buses.

Who are we to judge what one person needs help for?

Mental health is VERY grey; anxieties and stress affect people VERY differently.

my docs is terrible on hold forever then to be told to ring at 8am cos no appointments left. its a joke

The lady will have been taught many times in A&E the techniques for bringing herself out of an attack. She admitted to the Dispatches reporter that if there was to be a 'call out charge' for her attacks, then she would have to start bringing herself out of them. She knows what to do, but she chooses to have someone from the NHS present with her every time.

Ah, but that particular person in question IS what could quite rightly be called an Attention Whore. With a degree in being so.

Seems to be getting worse nowadays, I've remembered in the past when I've been seeing a GP the receptionist tapping on the door to ask a doctor a quick question as I've just walked in after being called through.

I'm on some medication for a fungal nail infection and 2 months into it, and it is working. However the medication has started giving me bad headaches so I phoned my Surgery on Monday to ask the receptionist if she could ask a GP if there is an alternative medication that can be prescribed as due to the headaches I've stopped taking it, she said I'll put it on the system and if you'd like to give us a call tomorrow after 12.

Called next day to be told no reply as yet so call tomorrow, called the next day to be told no reply as yet so call tomorrow, I then get a voicemail message at 12 lunchtime Thursday saying could I call the surgery regarding the medication I'm on, I ring the surgery an automated recording tells me the surgery is closed I keep trying throughout the day getting same message. I then get a call today from reception to be told the Dr says stop taking the medication and he will see you for a review we haven't any appointments available for 2 weeks but we have a cancellation for Wednesday 27 Aug.

Don't use GPs that much but what a ridiculous service, they are 10 foot away from a GP I'm sure she could have asked on the Monday when I originally called and they are still taking in new patients, makes you wonder should we all book routine appointments one a month just incase. Lol

It's the same with my doctor. what's funny is they have a dedicated phone line for appointments. One time I rang the enquirys line by mistake and got told rather stropily to ring appointments line by this woman. Rang appointments line and got through to the same person pointless.

It's the same with my doctor. what's funny is they have a dedicated phone line for appointments. One time I rang the enquirys line by mistake and got told rather stropily to ring appointments line by this woman. Rang appointments line and got through to the same person pointless.

Lol that made me chuckle

Needed to see a Doctor in France last week. Easy peasy, walked off the street into one surgery to be told that the Doc was away on holiday, informed by the receptionist that there was another one 100 yards away up the street, walked in 2 other patients in the waiting room, no receptionist. Seen by Doc after 10 minutes, consultation, prescription, problem solved.

When I return home I'll have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment or turn up at 8 am following day and queue with half the world while a receptionist seemingly takes forever to sort out appointments. If I phone in I'll never get through.

No wonder A&E's are crumbling

GP's are the weakest link in the NHS.

Primary care providers have leant on secondary care for far too long - hence the problems in A&E.

It's time they got their act together and started pulling their weight.

Seems to be getting worse nowadays, I've remembered in the past when I've been seeing a GP the receptionist tapping on the door to ask a doctor a quick question as I've just walked in after being called through.

I'm on some medication for a fungal nail infection and 2 months into it, and it is working. However the medication has started giving me bad headaches so I phoned my Surgery on Monday to ask the receptionist if she could ask a GP if there is an alternative medication that can be prescribed as due to the headaches I've stopped taking it, she said I'll put it on the system and if you'd like to give us a call tomorrow after 12.

Called next day to be told no reply as yet so call tomorrow, called the next day to be told no reply as yet so call tomorrow, I then get a voicemail message at 12 lunchtime Thursday saying could I call the surgery regarding the medication I'm on, I ring the surgery an automated recording tells me the surgery is closed I keep trying throughout the day getting same message. I then get a call today from reception to be told the Dr says stop taking the medication and he will see you for a review we haven't any appointments available for 2 weeks but we have a cancellation for Wednesday 27 Aug.

Don't use GPs that much but what a ridiculous service, they are 10 foot away from a GP I'm sure she could have asked on the Monday when I originally called and they are still taking in new patients, makes you wonder should we all book routine appointments one a month just incase. Lol

I always find it's best to pop in and see the pharmacist, they seem to have more knowledge of specific drugs

Edited by arrodbo
spelling

Needed to see a Doctor in France last week. Easy peasy, walked off the street into one surgery to be told that the Doc was away on holiday, informed by the receptionist that there was another one 100 yards away up the street, walked in 2 other patients in the waiting room, no receptionist. Seen by Doc after 10 minutes, consultation, prescription, problem solved.

When I return home I'll have to wait 2 weeks for an appointment or turn up at 8 am following day and queue with half the world while a receptionist seemingly takes forever to sort out appointments. If I phone in I'll never get through.

No wonder A&E's are crumbling

Does France have a free national health service?

The receptionist diagnose you and decide whether you can see the GP urgently or not. Its quicker to be seen at A@E.

Does France have a free national health service?

Not entirely sure how it works, not much differently funded to ours I believe. I asked my neighbours tonight how it works in France and they pay so much a month and I believe so much is stopped out of wages. I paid 23 Euros to see the Doc and he takes your Blue Card number and you are reimbursed when you return to England, I think !

To see the GP in France is a far superior system