Getting through to a GP

Except that privatisation would actually make the NHS more efficient and more responsive to its customers.

Well, it may make it more responsive for those who can afford an appointment, but for those of us who can't somehow I don't think it will improve things at all.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 13:38 ----------

We should set a cost of £5 per GP vist, this way the goverment will reduce cost by millions, queue is be shorten as poeple will stop going to gp for a chat instead of asking for medical help, a gov website should be introduce so people can get professional answer on the net instead of crazy people on internet forum that knows everything or post becuase they think its cool to have 1 billion post count and have no life

And for those of us who are ill enough to need frequent visits but who aren't in good jobs? Are we meant to just accept that we can't pay for the appointments so our health issues aren't going to be treated, or do we choose to pay for an appointment and miss on paying the bills? How about people who have sick children but no money?

For the record, I receive no means tested benefits because I insured my income before I got ill. I pay for a prescription prepayment card but pay for everything else myself. I'm a tax payer too, but my life is only affordable because my housing costs are very little.

[/b]

Go to the walk in centre on Broad Street - it's more central anyway.

Probably should have said if it's an urgent type thing.

Like if you've got tonsillitis or something, you don't wanna have to wait around for a week to get to see a GP to get some antibiotics.

but if you can get in at the walk in clinc then obviously go there first.

Except that privatisation would actually make the NHS more efficient and more responsive to its customers.

It makes them more responsive to the needs of their stakeholders, which means they are only interested in the financial side of things, more than likely creaming the top off the finances as profit whilst doing everything else on a shoe string to the bare minimum that they can get away with. And as Medusa points out above, as long as a few rich customers keep filling the coffers then to hell with every other normal person who just wants an appointment.

Clearly there are still financial implications on public healthcare too - to suggest that they can all just let things get worse and not have to worry about losing their jobs is a complete nonsense. Underperforming hospital departments and clinics do have to make books balance and run the risk of not doing so if their service isn't good enough.

As it happens, I went to the doctor yesterday, double appointment with 2-3 things I had to discuss. I'd only rung them on Tuesday, and if I just needed a single appointment then they said they could have fitted me in on the Wednesday. Not too shabby; I use Porter Brook practice and have never had much of a wait for an appointment.

Edited by AndrewC

Well, it may make it more responsive for those who can afford an appointment, but for those of us who can't somehow I don't think it will improve things at all.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 13:38 ----------

And for those of us who are ill enough to need frequent visits but who aren't in good jobs? Are we meant to just accept that we can't pay for the appointments so our health issues aren't going to be treated, or do we choose to pay for an appointment and miss on paying the bills? How about people who have sick children but no money?

For the record, I receive no means tested benefits because I insured my income before I got ill. I pay for a prescription prepayment card but pay for everything else myself. I'm a tax payer too, but my life is only affordable because my housing costs are very little.

There will be a 2 tier health care system like there is in the US. It doesn't work well there for the poor.

Those who can afford it will pay and get a prompt and effective service - those of us who can't afford it will be at the bottom of the pile and get treated as and when possible.

Not good for those without any funds which is a lot us these days.:rant:

There will be a 2 tier health care system like there is in the US. It doesn't work well there for the poor.

Those who can afford it will pay and get a prompt and effective service - those of us who can't afford it will be at the bottom of the pile and get treated as and when possible.

Not good for those without any funds which is a lot us these days.:rant:

But for all but a handful of people being poor or not is a choice.

The vast majority of us have a choice in how healthy a lifestyle we lead and also how we spend our income. Perhaps if, as some have suggested, it cost £5 a visit to your GP, people would stop bothering them with trivial complaints and there'd be more appointments for those who genuinely need them?

A choice?....I've never heard such tosh! (that's being polite)....I can't believe someone actually believes a statement like that. So I can only assume it's said with the sole intention of eliciting some kind of extreme response.

The vast majority of us have a choice in how healthy a lifestyle we lead and also how we spend our income. Perhaps if, as some have suggested, it cost £5 a visit to your GP, people would stop bothering them with trivial complaints and there'd be more appointments for those who genuinely need them?.

So if we all live a perfectly utopian 'healthy' lifestyle (whatever the definition of that may be)....We won't need to go to the doctors. That's fine by me...Then maybe me being bog standard Joe Soap...Without all you 'healthy' people clogging up the appointments system, we might get a look in and be able to get and appointment.

A choice?....I've never heard such tosh! (that's being polite)....I can't believe someone actually believes a statement like that. So I can only assume it's said with the sole intention of eliciting some kind of extreme response.

No, most people who work have disposable income and choose what to spend it on. You can either buy junk food, drink and smoke or you can eat healthily and put a bit of cash aside in case you fall ill or maybe take out health insurance.

If you don't have enough personal income there are many things you can do. You could work more hours, take on a second job, get qualifications to get a better job. Or if you're spending too much you could downsize to a smaller house, get rid of your car, cut down on luxuries like having the latest mobile phone or designer label clothes.

So yes, for all but a few, being poor is a choice.

So if we all live a perfectly utopian 'healthy' lifestyle (whatever the definition of that may be)....We won't need to go to the doctors. That's fine by me...Then maybe me being bog standard Joe Soap...Without all you 'healthy' people clogging up the appointments system, we might get a look in and be able to get and appointment.

Go into your local GP surgery and you'll find plenty of people who don't need to be there. Overprotective mothers who think that just because their baby's sneezed they need an urgent appointment. Pensioners who just want somewhere to go and someone to chat to. Hypochondriacs, pregnant teenagers, the list is endless. If they had to pay £5 a time I think you'd find it a lot easier to get an appointment if you genuine need one.

Go into your local GP surgery and you'll find plenty of people who don't need to be there. Overprotective mothers who think that just because their baby's sneezed they need an urgent appointment. Pensioners who just want somewhere to go and someone to chat to. Hypochondriacs, pregnant teenagers, the list is endless. If they had to pay £5 a time I think you'd find it a lot easier to get an appointment if you genuine need one.

How do you know all these malingerers are sat in the doctors surgeries?...Are you able to diagnose them all just by a cursory glance? Perhaps you should set up a practice of your own and relieve the system a little! :hihi:

How do you know all these malingerers are sat in the doctors surgeries?...Are you able to diagnose them all just by a cursory glance? Perhaps you should set up a practice of your own and relieve the system a little! :hihi:

This information comes from my sister who works as a practice nurse. For obvious confidentiality reasons she can't go into specifics but she claims that a sizeable proportion of people who come in for doctors appointments don't really need one.

The vast majority of us have a choice in how healthy a lifestyle we lead and also how we spend our income. Perhaps if, as some have suggested, it cost £5 a visit to your GP, people would stop bothering them with trivial complaints and there'd be more appointments for those who genuinely need them?

So you'd like us to go back to days of rickets?

Edited by Mister M

This information comes from my sister who works as a practice nurse. For obvious confidentiality reasons she can't go into specifics but she claims that a sizeable proportion of people who come in for doctors appointments don't really need one.

Surely that applies to A&E too...and probably just about every other clinic...But charging people is NOT the answer. I've worked for 40 odd years, and paid my 'dues'...I want free medical treatment as and when I require it...it's bad enough having to pay £8 odd for a prescription item! without having to pay for a doctors appointments too.

There's a ridiculous system at my GP where you can't book an appointment in the surgery, you can only book over the phone ... so I stood in front of the reception desk and phoned from my mobile, speaking to someone a couple of feet away! Sigh. Common sense? Nope.