Getting through to a GP

Seems to be getting worse nowadays, I've remembered in the past when I've been seeing a GP the receptionist tapping on the door to ask a doctor a quick question as I've just walked in after being called through.

I'm on some medication for a fungal nail infection and 2 months into it, and it is working. However the medication has started giving me bad headaches so I phoned my Surgery on Monday to ask the receptionist if she could ask a GP if there is an alternative medication that can be prescribed as due to the headaches I've stopped taking it, she said I'll put it on the system and if you'd like to give us a call tomorrow after 12.

Called next day to be told no reply as yet so call tomorrow, called the next day to be told no reply as yet so call tomorrow, I then get a voicemail message at 12 lunchtime Thursday saying could I call the surgery regarding the medication I'm on, I ring the surgery an automated recording tells me the surgery is closed I keep trying throughout the day getting same message. I then get a call today from reception to be told the Dr says stop taking the medication and he will see you for a review we haven't any appointments available for 2 weeks but we have a cancellation for Wednesday 27 Aug.

Don't use GPs that much but what a ridiculous service, they are 10 foot away from a GP I'm sure she could have asked on the Monday when I originally called and they are still taking in new patients, makes you wonder should we all book routine appointments one a month just incase. Lol

They are increasingly busy and it's a nightmare trying to get an appointment, sometimes you just have to go to A&E to see a doctor.

They prioritise stuff by urgency so you probably got stuffed to the bottom of the pile.

It doesn't help that all the GP's are on six figures, yet only pull a 9-5 working day.

There doesn't seem to be much likelyhood of this service improving anytime soon……

suggest everyone reading this joins the rally to save our NHS in Weston Park at 5pm on Monday 25th August.

A group of Mums from Jarrow are marching from Jarrow to Downing Street trying to save the NHS from privatisation.

On Tuesday 26th August at 10am they will be setting off from Sheffield Town Hall . 10.30am at the Hallamshire Hospital and 11.30 at Nether Edge. lunch time Graves Park. Even if you can only join the walk for 10 minutes, it will help. google Save our NHS for further details.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 11:11 ----------

http://999callfornhs.org.uk

Using A&E for something like I've posted is not serious enough. Funny thing is the medication I've already got I discussed over the phone in the first place after my results confirmed an infection which I assume was quicker than a face to face meeting, they already have my details so will be a wasted trip in my opinion when I'm sure there will be an alternative prescription which could have been done over the phone without undoing the good the current medication has done.

There doesn't seem to be much likelyhood of this service improving anytime soon……

suggest everyone reading this joins the rally to save our NHS in Weston Park at 5pm on Monday 25th August.

A group of Mums from Jarrow are marching from Jarrow to Downing Street trying to save the NHS from privatisation.

On Tuesday 26th August at 10am they will be setting off from Sheffield Town Hall . 10.30am at the Hallamshire Hospital and 11.30 at Nether Edge. lunch time Graves Park. Even if you can only join the walk for 10 minutes, it will help. google Save our NHS for further details.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 11:11 ----------

http://999callfornhs.org.uk

Except that privatisation would actually make the NHS more efficient and more responsive to its customers.

what you need to do is either get your GP to come out to you sayng yu can barely walk or get your doctor to ring you back nearly all gp will do this as it saves them time I have done it man times this last 2 years an all have rung back try that. but please don't go to A&E as the name suggests it's for accidents an emergencies please use the walk in clinics if you cant wait

Except that privatisation would actually make the NHS more efficient and more responsive to its customers.

I would likethink to this that this may happen here but am doubtful

I've lived in a Country that only has private healthcare and there is much overprescription of unnecessary drugs

We should set a cost of £5 per GP vist, this way the goverment will reduce cost by millions, queue is be shorten as poeple will stop going to gp for a chat instead of asking for medical help, a gov website should be introduce so people can get professional answer on the net instead of crazy people on internet forum that knows everything or post becuase they think its cool to have 1 billion post count and have no life

We should set a cost of £5 per GP vist, this way the goverment will reduce cost by millions, queue is be shorten as poeple will stop going to gp for a chat instead of asking for medical help, a gov website should be introduce so people can get professional answer on the net instead of crazy people on internet forum that knows everything or post becuase they think its cool to have 1 billion post count and have no life

Instead of charging people who have paid in the system all their lives how about charging all foreigners who come over here and abuse the system instead

They are increasingly busy and it's a nightmare trying to get an appointment, sometimes you just have to go to A&E to see a doctor.

I'd rather go to the walk-in clinic on Broad Street for this type of thing that bog down the A&E with minor issues.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 12:54 ----------

I've lived in a Country that only has private healthcare and there is much overprescription of unnecessary drugs

Yeap, just ask America how efficient and streamlined things are.

A friend of mine is visiting family in the States at the moment and she was charged $6000 for something she knew how to treat. She has female issues and was in severe pain, so as she doesnt have a OB/GYN in the US as she lives here, went to the ER (A&E). She waited almost 4 hours to see someone, only to be told there was no Gyno on duty and discharged her with some extra strong ibuprofen.

Yeap... Privatised health care is awesome.

A medical practice in the public sector has no incentive to improve its customer service as regardless of how good or bad it is, they still get paid.

A private medical practice knows that if it's customers are unhappy cause they can't get an appointment, it has to improve its service as if its customers go elsewhere the practice won't get paid.

They prioritise stuff by urgency so you probably got stuffed to the bottom of the pile.

It doesn't help that all the GP's are on six figures, yet only pull a 9-5 working day.

And don't forget the half day closing on a Thursday too :roll:

Please don't go to A&E with anything that should be seen by your GP - the service is already stretched.

Go to the walk in centre on Broad Street - it's more central anyway.

Edited by Daven