When does private banter become offensive to others?

The man is an idiot and will never get a job in football again. If he talks about jews and 'chinks' like that, than no doubt he has a colourful interpretation on anybody different than him.

If the phrase N word represents a specific word which is not acceptable to many but who understand what the N in N word is the first letter of why not just use the original word in discussions when it is not used to cause offence ?

Perhaps because it is derogatory to a specific racial characteristic - the skin colour of black Africans - and cannot be used as an insult to anyone else?

This means that it could still be interpreted as offensive if used by other races.

And yes, I'm aware that African-Americans use the word amongst themselves as a kind of defiance, but I believe they are wrong to do it.

Richard Pryor was one of the ones who did so but he admitted shortly before his death that he regretted it with hindsight.

Anyway, that's my thoughts, why do you think everyone doesn't go about liberally sprinkling their conversation with the expression?

The C word is included in the OED as is the N word, so no they won't be removed.

Used in certain context however they are both offensive to the point of being capable of provoking justifiable violence.

Therefore, most people are understandably reluctant to use them in order to avoid causing unnecessary upset.

As for using the N word to describe a paint colour, as it is a derogatory distortion of the Spanish word for black - ***** - then no, it's neither appropriate nor accurate to use it in that context.

Violence is the last bastion of the incompetent!

I just realised there is a significant parallel with our lesser brothers across the Atlantic. The LA Clippers owner was caught on tape as telling his girlfriend she shouldn't be bringing black people to the games on freebies (including NBA legend Magic Johnson) because he didn't like THEM. This cost him his franchise with the NBA force-selling his team from underneath him. It made him richer, but he also became the villain of 2014.

We have a lot to learn here.

Perhaps because it is derogatory to a specific r

Anyway, that's my thoughts, why do you think everyone doesn't go about liberally sprinkling their conversation with the expression?

Because the use of the word is considered unacceptable.

But my point is that if the phrase N word is understood to mean the same as the original word without using the full set of letters in reality is there any difference ?

Violence is the last bastion of the incompetent!

Whilst violence should always be a last resort, it has it's place.

'Every man has the right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has the right to knock him down for it'.

Samuel Johnson.

All anyone has to do to avoid 'being knocked down for it', is to treat others with the respect that they themselves would like to be treat.

Some people are incapable of behaving in a decent civilized manner and deserve the occasional punch on the nose.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 21:27 ----------

Because the use of the word is considered unacceptable.

But my point is that if the phrase N word is understood to mean the same as the original word without using the full set of letters in reality is there any difference ?

Yes, it shows an acknowledgement of the fact that the full word is unacceptable in conversation.

Whilst violence should always be a last resort, it has it's place.

'Every man has the right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has the right to knock him down for it'.

Samuel Johnson.

All anyone has to do to avoid 'being knocked down for it', is to treat others with the respect that they themselves would like to be treat.

Some people are incapable of behaving in a decent civilized manner and deserve the occasional punch on the nose.

---------- Post added 22-08-2014 at 21:27 ----------

Yes, it shows an acknowledgement of the fact that the full word is unacceptable in conversation.

Let me guess...you are making a last ditch attempt to win the "most stupid post of the week" award.

Let me guess...you are making a last ditch attempt to win the "most stupid post of the week" award.

No, you have already beaten me to it with your post at 39.

It may be regrettable, it may prove that we as a species are not fully civilized, but violence is a fact of life, it is, for better or worse - probably worse - the way we are.

Kept to a minimum, and only used in self defence, which includes self defence against unprovoked gratuitous verbal insults a little bit of violence can bring an enlightenment to the terminally stupid who believe, wrongly, that they can say and do anything they wish to anyone they feel like.

No, you have already beaten me to it with your post at 39.

It may be regrettable, it may prove that we as a species are not fully civilized, but violence is a fact of life, it is, for better or worse - probably worse - the way we are.

Kept to a minimum, and only used in self defence, which includes self defence against unprovoked gratuitous verbal insults a little bit of violence can bring an enlightenment to the terminally stupid who believe, wrongly, that they can say and do anything they wish to anyone they feel like.

It's a matter of choice in every case, plain and simple!

If you were to attack me physically I would choose to defend myself and teach you a lesson in violence you would be unlikely to forget.

However, you can call me anything you like and say anything to my face that takes your fancy. Then I will laugh at you because I am bigger than to react at mere name calling.

It's called growing up!

It's a matter of choice in every case, plain and simple!

If you were to attack me physically I would choose to defend myself and teach you a lesson in violence you would be unlikely to forget.

However, you can call me anything you like and say anything to my face that takes your fancy. Then I will laugh at you because I am bigger than to react at mere name calling.

It's called growing up!

Really?

If someone insulted me to my face then I would react in exactly the same way that you claim that you would.

However, if someone were to insult my family, or my race that would illicit a very different result.

By the way, I love the way that you have suddenly morphed from a pacifist into a keyboard warrior ' teach you a lesson in violence you would be unlikely to forget' brilliant. :D

This is a forum you numpty, you have no more idea who I am than I have who you are.

Keep your macho nonsense for your dreams and delusions. :)

Really?

If someone insulted me to my face then I would react in exactly the same way that you claim that you would.

However, if someone were to insult my family, or my race that would illicit a very different result.

By the way, I love the way that you have suddenly morphed from a pacifist into a keyboard warrior ' teach you a lesson in violence you would be unlikely to forget' brilliant. :D

This is a forum you numpty, you have no more idea who I am than I have who you are.

Keep your macho nonsense for your dreams and delusions. :)

Who you are is of no concern to me! I am merely engaing in debate and stating my opinion.

I am no "keyboard warrior." I described the circumstances of what I would do if attacked physically.

I wondered how long it might take you to start with the insults.

I didn't need to be "macho" to work it out either. Simple process of applying what character profiling techniques I have acquired and reading between the lines of what you have contributed to this thread.

Who you are is of no concern to me! I am merely engaing in debate and stating my opinion.

I am no "keyboard warrior." I described the circumstances of what I would do if attacked physically.

I wondered how long it might take you to start with the insults.

I didn't need to be "macho" to work it out either. Simple process of applying what character profiling techniques I have acquired and reading between the lines of what you have contributed to this thread.

You have a very high opinion of yourself, don't you?

Let me bring a few 'profiling techniques' that I have acquired through actual real life experience to the matter.

You are an apparently arrogant person who seems to be under the impression that your view on any subject matters to anyone. :)

You start off jumping into a discussion with your Gandhi inspired pacifist anti violence mantra, and then, at the first hurdle, you revert to a macho ' come over here if you think your hard enough' attitude. ::)

Your contribution to this thread has been first caliber confrontational nonsense.

You appear unable to comprehend that this is just a forum, no ones opinion - including mine - has any actual credibility, we are just voicing our opinions. Get it?

Anyway, back to the OP, private 'banter' is not private if it can be accessed by anyone other than the sender and the recipient.

In this case, the correspondence appeared to be conducted on phones that belonged to Cardiff City.

If that is true, the two people involved do not appear to be the sharpest tools in the box.