When does private banter become offensive to others?

But what business is it of anyone else? They were private messages between two people, neither of which were offended. There was nothing illegal within the messages so why the need to make them public and put the 'offence' out there?

Perhaps if people don't want to be offended they should consider minding their own business?

---------- Post added 23-08-2014 at 17:30 ----------

Except we are talking about private texts between Mackay and Moody. They didn't dish anything out did they? The dishing out was done by whoever leaked the emails and the newspapers who saw there was pound notes in reporting the story.

If you aren't doing anything illegal, then why should your personal messages be anyone elses business?

I never said it was our business - i merely said i would find it offensive to hear or see comments of that nature.

It does however paint an extremely unpleasant picture of the text and email senders in this case.

So you think only privacy rights only apply to thoughts? As soon as someone says or does something, even in private, it is public business? Everyone can pry and judge? Jez, what sort of world of you want to live in?

If I said that then you may have a point, being as I didn't it falls at the first hurdle. A thought is private and by definition is a right, unless you wish to control thought, which is a nonsense. Once a thought becomes an action that action is open to debate or critisism regardless of you thinking otherwise. It's only public business if it's public, it would never have been if he'd confined it to himself.

Your judgement of them is telling people what they can or can't say. Either comply, even in private, or else this is what you get.

No, I haven't suggested telling people what they can or can't say, I can criticise what people say in the public domain in the same way they can control what they say (self criticism) in "private". I can make a judgement on anyone and anything if it's there to be judged. All you are attempting to do is excuse what he said by how it became knowledge...you're apologizing.

My point is that the only defence that Mackay needs to present is to his employer for inappropriate use of company property. The 'offence' was relatively minor and should have been dealt with as an internal matter in accordance with company policy. Nothing illegal had taken place so there was no need to inform the police and certainly no justification for leaking it to the press. The only reason for doing that was because Cardiff wanted to get rid of him but the offence wouldn't justify dismissal. They therefore leaked it to achieve their aim by stealth. The football club caused the offence, brought the game into disrepute and are arguably guilty of constructive dismissal.

Says who? You? You've now moved the goalposts from private to now putting pressure on the company as an internal matter, which in itself isn't private unless you wish to enforce a gagging order on those within the company who now know. Cardiff's motives are irrelevant on the thoughts and actions of his bigotry...or is this another blame shift?

IT would depend on what was being said but it is worth noting that there is a 'public interest' clause to our privacy laws. Knowing that football manager called his boss (who was trying to pressure him into resigning at the time) called him a 'chink' in private should not be a matter of public interest (red top definitions do not apply). An elected member of parliament is another matter.

Of course it's in the public's interest..you seem pretty interested. "Chink" isn't just another word, it's used by those with contempt, it shows a mindset. Considering the push on racism within the FA and internationally it is very much in the public interest, and through his own arrogant actions he has made it so.

Guest sibon
So I specifically ask for you opinion and your reply is to accuse me of knowing what you think?!? Trying to avoid answering by any chance?

I'm not trying to avoid answering anything Zamo. It is nice to see that you've regained your old coherence, hope you are feeling better.

I was simply pointing out the inconsistency in your position. It is a common failing of right whingers. They seem to think that they can play the liberal whilst trying to suppress opinions that they don't like.

Sadly, life isn't like that. You need to rethink your argument.

I'm not trying to avoid answering anything Zamo. It is nice to see that you've regained your old coherence, hope you are feeling better.

I was simply pointing out the inconsistency in your position. It is a common failing of right whingers. They seem to think that they can play the liberal whilst trying to suppress opinions that they don't like.

Sadly, life isn't like that. You need to rethink your argument.

Which is exactly what the do gooders are doing with the banter between MacKay and his mate. The Lefties dont like people having a laugh about anything that concerns Race, Religion or what they consider to be sexist and throw their toys out of the pram and shout outrage.

Im not defending the content of the texts but it can't be right that private texts should be made public or used against people - unless they're of a terrorist nature.

Which is exactly what the do gooders are doing with the banter between MacKay and his mate. The Lefties dont like people having a laugh about anything that concerns Race, Religion or what they consider to be sexist and throw their toys out of the pram and shout outrage.

Why do they have to be do gooders? Why can't they just be people who think verbal abuse is wrong ?

I think in places of proper humour most things are free game - but this is basically someone's employer being overtly racist.

He'd look a right pillock if his team marched off the pitch(if he ever gets another job) for racism from the fans.

---------- Post added 24-08-2014 at 16:33 ----------

Im not defending the content of the texts but it can't be right that private texts should be made public or used against people - unless they're of a terrorist nature.

Why?

They were, i believe i'm correct using phones and emials etc paid for by an employer discussing other people who might come to work for that same employer on business relating to their employers.

Now had he done it on a personal phone and email who'd know?

Why?

They were, i believe i'm correct using phones and emials etc paid for by an employer discussing other people who might come to work for that same employer on business relating to their employers.

Now had he done it on a personal phone and email who'd know?

Aaah, I see. This is a classic example of me not getting all the facts before commenting. I thought it was just a text between him and a friend/colleague using his own personal phone.

The old withered tiresome thick as a rhinos turd "mates dahn pub" having a banter over ragheads and slags argument. For Christ's sake try to evolve from 70's man huh?

That's strange Penny because being right wing and having a sense of humour don't usually go together very well.

I think Stewart Lee makes some very good observations about this

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/04/where-are-all-right-wing-stand-ups

Edited by Mister M

That's strange Penny because being right wing and having a sense of humour don't usually go together very well.

I think Stewart Lee makes some very good observations about this

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/04/where-are-all-right-wing-stand-ups

Im right wing in my politics yet i regularly enjoy some near the knuckle banter with the lads in the Ale house( although its probably not for the touchy feely lefties ) , so i wouldnt agree with that as a rule .

Im right wing in my politics yet i regularly enjoy some near the knuckle banter with the lads in the Ale house( although its probably not for the touchy feely lefties ) , so i wouldnt agree with that as a rule .

I wasn't aware that the 2 were usually considered mutually exclusive....