When does private banter become offensive to others?

it doesn't matter whether its public or private if racist thoughts are uttered it makes you a racist, the only difference in this case, even tho it was in private he got outed as the dirty racist he is, if he doesn't have racist thoughts racist thoughts wouldn't come out whether in public or in private?

Except that as Cardiff manager Mackay signed and worked with many black players, as well as players of many different nationalities, none of whom have come forward to condemn him. A racist is some one who actively discriminates against people because of the colour of their skin, not someone who sometimes tells a mate a non-PC joke. Personally I'd rather judge a man by what he does rather than what he says.

Except that as Cardiff manager Mackay signed and worked with many black players, as well as players of many different nationalities, none of whom have come forward to condemn him. A racist is some one who actively discriminates against people because of the colour of their skin, not someone who sometimes tells a mate a non-PC joke. Personally I'd rather judge a man by what he does rather than what he says.

How do you think his comments are consistent with the football governing body's desire to "Kick racism out of football"?

How do you think his comments are consistent with the football governing body's desire to "Kick racism out of football"?

Clearly they're not, but as I have already said, they were private messages not intended for anyone but the mate he texted.

Publically he is a great supported of "Kick racism out of football" as the link below shows, and he's done an awful lot to help black players further their careers. Does that sound like the behaviour of a racist to you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730799/Malky-Mackay-attended-Kick-It-Out-s-20th-anniversary-dinner-just-three-months-accused-sending-racist-texts.html

Clearly they're not, but as I have already said, they were private messages not intended for anyone but the mate he texted.

Publically he is a great supported of "Kick racism out of football" as the link below shows, and he's done an awful lot to help black players further their careers. Does that sound like the behaviour of a racist to you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2730799/Malky-Mackay-attended-Kick-It-Out-s-20th-anniversary-dinner-just-three-months-accused-sending-racist-texts.html

Sometimes some people say the right things at the right times to get / keep their jobs. He's a case in point.

actively or not, your still a racist by nature if you harbour racist thoughts, even jokes must make you that way inclined

as for the players, well he's a professional and a manager so has to treat people correctly and professional in his job

I believe that that was 'Big Ron's' excuse as well, after using the N word.

The thing is that black players are some of the best in the world, and if you want to retain your job as a manager you need to employ at least a few of them, doesn't stop you from being a racist though.

A few even spoke out on Big Ron's behalf.

Obviously they thought that because he hadn't actually said crap like that to them it meant he wasn't racist.

But he wouldn't would he? Wanting to keep them 'onside' for his own benefit and not wanting a black eye.

So where did it come from?

When everyone knows what the N word means is there any point in not using the correct word ?

It is different if it used as an insult but to pretend it does not exist seems absurd.

When everyone knows what the N word means is there any point in not using the correct word ?

It is different if it used as an insult but to pretend it does not exist seems absurd.

Yes I believe there is, everyone also knows what the C word is, but you wouldn't use it would you?

Yes I believe there is, everyone also knows what the C word is, but you wouldn't use it would you?

The C word is classed as obscene language.

The N word is not classed as swearing but can be used as an insult or offensive.

It is not the word that is offensive but the context that it may be used in.

Will it be removed from dictionaries ?

Is it offensive to use it to describe a shade of brown paint ?

I just find it strange that it is acceptable to use the phrase N word when it is just a different way of expressing what it represents and therefore has the same meaning.

Just random thoughts for discussion.

The C word is included in the OED as is the N word, so no they won't be removed.

Used in certain context however they are both offensive to the point of being capable of provoking justifiable violence.

Therefore, most people are understandably reluctant to use them in order to avoid causing unnecessary upset.

As for using the N word to describe a paint colour, as it is a derogatory distortion of the Spanish word for black - ***** - then no, it's neither appropriate nor accurate to use it in that context.

If the phrase N word represents a specific word which is not acceptable to many but who understand what the N in N word is the first letter of why not just use the original word in discussions when it is not used to cause offence ?

The issue here isn't what they said it's whether it was intended for public consumption that's the issue here. A private text message is just that - private. The content of the texts may be unsavoury but the comments are no different to what a couple of working class blokes might say to each other down their local over a pint.

Or perhaps Prince Phillip over a G&T.