When does private banter become offensive to others?

There's a very interesting news story ongoing about the football manager Malky Mackay, who was on the verge of getting the Crystal Palace job when his former chairman at Cardiff intervened and published some private text messages Mackay sent to a colleague, which have been deemed so offensive that Mackay has now been ruled out of the job. The content of the texts can be seen on the link below;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/cardiff-city/11047646/Malky-Mackay-texts-scandal-the-damning-evidence-discovered-by-Cardiff-chairman-Vincent-Tan.html

Looking at the texts in the cold light of day, they will obviously offend the PC brigade but the issue here is that they were private texts sent between two colleagues which were never intended for public scrutiny.

The League Manager's Association has, quite rightly, said the texts were friendly banter between friends, but it looks like the matter won't rest once the usual suspects get involved, going out of their way to be offended on behalf of other people.

I wonder what the forum view is on this story and why the content of private text messages ahas anything to do with anyone but the people who sent and received them?

Only way to make sure something never becomes public.

Do not write it.

Once I click this becomes public for all time.

Comments about people like me are water off a ducks back. I don't get upset or wound up about it.

However, if I belonged to an oppressed minority (or an oppressed majority for that matter) I might feel different.

I don't see it as something that just offends the "PC brigade". I see nothing wrong with highlighting offensive language and criticizing anyone using it, either written or spoken.

However, if that person thought of it as "banter" and had not intended to offend, but now realizes that it does offend, accepts that they were wrong (through ignorance), and changes their behavior for the better once they realise, then IMO that should be the end of the matter.

They have been educated as to what is and isn't acceptable, and learned from their experience. They are no longer a problem and shouldn't be treated as if they still are.

here we go with the free speech spiel :roll:

The FA have received the dossier and are said to be considering whether to investigate the matter.

The FA should be trying to calm this down, its just how 80+% of how normal people talk.

I wonder what the forum view is on this story and why the content of private text messages ahas anything to do with anyone but the people who sent and received them?

Press SEND and you potentially show yourself for who you are. A simple piece of wisdom the rednecks fail to grasp. Private messages don't make you any less a moron. Having the freedom of speech also doesn't hide or defend your culpability. Those that think it does are equally reprehensible.

This one must particularly please those that suffer from the narcissistic personality disorder that is being a self-identified "progressive/ lib -its something else irrelevent to get on the usual offended status high horses about.

Comments about people like me are water off a ducks back. I don't get upset or wound up about it.

However, if I belonged to an oppressed minority (or an oppressed majority for that matter) I might feel different.

I don't see it as something that just offends the "PC brigade". I see nothing wrong with highlighting offensive language and criticizing anyone using it, either written or spoken.

However, if that person thought of it as "banter" and had not intended to offend, but now realizes that it does offend, accepts that they were wrong (through ignorance), and changes their behavior for the better once they realise, then IMO that should be the end of the matter.

They have been educated as to what is and isn't acceptable, and learned from their experience. They are no longer a problem and shouldn't be treated as if they still are.

The issue here isn't what they said it's whether it was intended for public consumption that's the issue here. A private text message is just that - private. The content of the texts may be unsavoury but the comments are no different to what a couple of working class blokes might say to each other down their local over a pint.

The issue here isn't what they said it's whether it was intended for public consumption that's the issue here. A private text message is just that - private. The content of the texts may be unsavoury but the comments are no different to what a couple of working class blokes might say to each other down their local over a pint.

If they wanted to keep it private, then maybe they should have conducted their conversation over a pint in the corner of a pub.

I don't see that there is an difference between how you say something in private and in public. If you choose to behave in a certain way because you think it will remain private, then I haven't got much sympathy if it then becomes public and you are pilloried for it. In a way it is worse if you know what you're doing is unacceptable, but you do it anyway just because you expect to get away with it.

What has working class and a pint have to do with what is or isn't deemed offensive?

Amazing you want your "PC freedom of speech" but when "PC freedom of speech" is used to question the content of it you get all anti-PC frothy.

I don't think it deserves the same censure as the Andy Gray and Richard Keys publically chanting 'Get your tits out for the lads' to Claire Tomlinson

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/news/get-your-ts-out-for-the-lads-andy-gray-and-richard-keys-direct-sexist-chant-at-clare-tomlinson-in-new-footage-9098633.html

They believed their taunting was off camera, but was leaked.....I'm more inclined to the opinion that because Keys and Gray knew what they were doing was wrong, but did it as they thought that the camera wasn't rolling then they are less deserving of sympathy