First Smartphone - advice?

I'd say either

Moto G (Android)

Nokia 635 (windows phone)

IPhone 4s or 5c (iOS)

The Moto G is probably the best all round for the price - Android gives you more control over the look / feel / apps - but this can lead to it being a bit messy.

The Nokia is a very nice handset too - Windows Phone is very nice to use, but it still lags behind when it comes to apps, which are often inferior to their ios and android counterparts. eBay, Spotify, Deezer, iplayer are all much worse on Windows Phone for example.

The iphone is of course a bit more expensive, but it's my preferred choice. iOS is more locked down than Android (and windows to some extent), but in my experience it's the best to use. Apps almost always come out on iphone first, tend to look better and respond better.

Really, mine didn't, and neither did anyone else I know who have the Galaxy S5.

EE reckon its very common! They even have a section of their website dedicated to getting it to charge! Didn't work of course cos it was just knackered!

EE reckon its very common! They even have a section of their website dedicated to getting it to charge! Didn't work of course cos it was just knackered!

What is EE like as a provider, are they any good ?

The iphones are excellent and beautiful but you get what you pay for. Most of my friends who got the cheaper Samsungs because iphones are too expensive have vowed that their next phone will be an iphone.

The iphone costs the same price as a top end Android phone, but is much less versatile.

If you want a device that apple still thinks it owns, get an iphone. If you want a device that you own, then don't.

---------- Post added 26-08-2014 at 09:58 ----------

What is EE like as a provider, are they any good ?

I've been with them for quite some time now.

I've had 2 handsets replaced by courier when they've failed, they've never tried to fob me off with any 'water damage' malarkey either.

Signal is generally good, 4g coverage is decent.

No real reason to change, so I haven't.

The iphone costs the same price as a top end Android phone, but is much less versatile.

If you want a device that apple still thinks it owns, get an iphone. If you want a device that you own, then don't.

And a 7 seater people carrier is more 'versatile' than a Ferrari - it doesn't make it better though.

By the way, I've owned and used all of these over the past few years

Iphone 3G

IPhone 3GS

Galaxy S

HTC desire

Htc desire hd

Galaxy note

Lg 4x HD

Galaxy s3

Lumia 920

And currently iPhone 5s

Edited by CPC464

And a 7 seater people carrier is more 'versatile' than a Ferrari - it doesn't make it better though.

By the way, I've owned and used all of these over the past few years

Iphone 3G

IPhone 3GS

Galaxy S

HTC desire

Htc desire hd

Galaxy note

Lg 4x HD

Galaxy s3

Lumia 920

And currently iPhone 5s

It's a nice analogy, but the only way it would be relevant would be if you were talking about the Ferrari you buy, but aren't allowed to take home. The one that Ferrari keep at a special location for you.

That's not a perfect analogy of course, you get to take away your iphone, which is in no way technologically superior to some android phones (hence why your analogy is a poor one).

But you live in a walled garden, where apple make the decisions. And those decisions are odd. They censor things based on some weird american value system, and you just have to like it.

It could even be an app that you've paid for, they decide they don't like, and poof, it's gone from your phone.

It's a nice analogy, but the only way it would be relevant would be if you were talking about the Ferrari you buy, but aren't allowed to take home. The one that Ferrari keep at a special location for you.

That's not a perfect analogy of course, you get to take away your iphone, which is in no way technologically superior to some android phones (hence why your analogy is a poor one).

But you live in a walled garden, where apple make the decisions. And those decisions are odd. They censor things based on some weird american value system, and you just have to like it.

It could even be an app that you've paid for, they decide they don't like, and poof, it's gone from your phone.

Except that has never happened, and Google also has a 'kill switch' which they could enable.

Anyway, as I've pointed out, I've owned plenty of Androids, and a Windows phone, as well as my current iPhone. I could quite easily switch between any of the three again, and probably will at some point.

Individual components are no better, but the overall harmonious composition of those components makes them a superior quality product and experience that is far beyond the sum of its parts.

I don't know what this crap is about not being your phone. Load of twoddle.

I don't know what the crap is about it being a better phone, load of twaddle.

I don't know what the crap is about it being a better phone, load of twaddle.

Put simply, an iphone is like the work of a renaissance master while a samsung is like a photograph printed on a canvas to look like an oil painting. One is a very good and pleasant facsimile that will enhance most locations it is sited in, the other is a masterpiece that raises the whole quality of experience into the sublime.;)

Oh give over. We get it, you're a fanbois, no need to go on about it.

Oh give over. We get it, you're a fanbois, no need to go on about it.

Oh give over, you just gob off knowing nowt until someone corrects you. I used to be like you where Apple's stuff was concerned but then I actually looked into it properly, got some kit and accepted that Windows wasn't the only way. I now accept there is a better way of doing it.

I've tried android stuff too, it's a bit clunky, it does the job, but Apple does it better.