First Smartphone - advice?

wow, thanks folks!

Moto G does look very nice, Android seems to be the OS everyone is using. Will compare with Lumia though as £120 is a little over planned budget

Most likely put this on a Three PAYG 123 tariff, if SatNav could be free that would be nice but at 1p/MB I am guessing data charges wouldn't be much? Not likely to spend £20 on CoPilot or similar though

No use of email/facebook likely but I imagine browsing will become useful. And once she figures out some good game apps suspect her bus journeys will improve

If you're on wifi when you put the route in for sat nav then it'll download it before you go, then only need to use data if you get lost, it doesn't use a lot of data, just some networks try to extort you for any mobile data on payg if you haven't bought a bundle deal. There's not much point in having a smartphone if mobile data is too expensive to use. Looks like Vodafone want to charge £2/day just for turning data on, even if you hardly touch it, without a bundle deal. That 3 payg deal doesn't look bad at all though, for a light user, you get 150mb free with a top up too & 1p/min seems a much better deal than payg data on the other networks. Have a look at the sim only contract deals too, you can get 30 day contracts with unlimited data & hundreds of minutes of talk time included for £10-£15/month, definitely something to look at if you start using it more.

If you can't stretch to over £100, there's the Moto E, that's probably the cheapest smartphone you'd want to buy, but for £40 more the Moto G is a much better phone. The Moto G2 is due out in a couple of weeks too, so you might want to wait for that, rumours say it could be faster & cheaper.

Moto E review here: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/motorola-moto-e-1248339/review

Edited by anywebsite

If you're on wifi when you put the route in for sat nav then it'll download it before you go, then only need to use data if you get lost, it doesn't use a lot of data, just some networks try to extort you for any mobile data on payg if you haven't bought a bundle deal.

Is it just me who finds the idea of a satnav that only works properly with a mobile phone signal a bit silly? What happens if you get lost or diverted in the middle of nowhere?

You can cache the map files, well at least you used to be able to.

I think there are other Sat Nav apps that have all the maps saved, and to be honest Google Maps was not envisioned as a turn-by-turn Sat Nav, it's more of a map app.

I managed to get my Moto G for about £79 from the Orange store, with a combination of being an existing customer and using their public sector workers discount.

The iphones are excellent and beautiful but you get what you pay for. Most of my friends who got the cheaper Samsungs because iphones are too expensive have vowed that their next phone will be an iphone.

I recommend a nokia lumia phone as all the latest models have free offline navigation maps, and you can get a nokia lumia 530 for £79.95 includes the £10 top-up from carphone warehouse also has a quad core processor and the OS is very easy to use.

Edited by airider

Cubot P9 is a 5 inch Smartphone that only cost £57 off Ebay,they take Two Sim Cards and a 32gb Micro Sd Card slot an 8 mega-pixel camera,its a Very Good Smartphone for its Price,go onto Amazon an you can read Customers Opinions an i can Promise you its a Superb Smartphone

best android phone ive owned is a htc one and ive had many including 1st ever android phone google g1

Nokia Lumia range are great as a first smartphone and the free satnav is very good

You can buy my Nokia Lumia 820 for £85 comes boxed with charger its running 8.1 so is all upto date and is unlocked so works on any network. Great phone with good spec for 1st smartphone....also have a Lumia 625 for £70 which is unlocked or you can have both for £145

Edited by r-lane-0114

Just so you know with the S5

I had it 2 weeks, it stopped charging with any charger.

Apparently it is a common fault.

I returned it under warranty to EE - who told me it was water damaged. Not good since its meant to be water resistant and can apparently be submerged in water for 30 minutes and still work, but hadn't been near water.

I complained and sent it back off. They've had it 3 weeks now and I've heard nothing as yet so hopefully it is being repaired this time!

Really, mine didn't, and neither did anyone else I know who have the Galaxy S5.