Smart cards travel South Yorkshire

I bought not knowing you need the photo ID for the train would I be okay to take my travel pass to the information place to get the ID part sorted out or wont they do it me now?

If you are saying what I think, you should be able to get a rail photo ID by taking your picture etc to the station Ticket Office.

Hopefully the price of a day's travel in SY can fall back below one hour's wage.

Especially now less staff will be needed and running costs will be lower.

I very much doubt it though. Might as well ban working age people from public transport. Public transport in SY is a downright ****** disgrace. It is not run for the benefit of the public. It'd be better if we had a free market in taxis. And abolished insurance for motor vehicles.

Guest busdriver1
Hopefully the price of a day's travel in SY can fall back below one hour's wage.

Already is.....

Ha ha ha - it took SYPTE about 15 years and literally millions of wasted pounds to get this going. Incompetence and south yorkshire public sector seem to be wed to each other

Especially now less staff will be needed and running costs will be lower.

I very much doubt it though. Might as well ban working age people from public transport. Public transport in SY is a downright ****** disgrace. It is not run for the benefit of the public. It'd be better if we had a free market in taxis. And abolished insurance for motor vehicles.

My Bold

Minimum wage is £6.31!

The cost of a SY day on First is only £5.

The cost of a SY connect ticket (all services) is £6.20!

The only day ticket above minimum wage for SY is the TravelMaster Gold Ticket which is £7.50 This is the same as a SY connect but adds trains to the modes of transport.

My Bold

Minimum wage is £6.31!

The only day ticket above minimum wage for SY is the TravelMaster Gold Ticket which is £7.50 This is the same as a SY connect but adds trains to the modes of transport.

£7.50 is cheaper than a Zone 1&2 London day Travelcard.

A weekly Travelmaster Gold is £26.60 which works out at £3.80 a day - that is well below the £6.31 quoted above.

My Bold

Minimum wage is £6.31!

Which is the ticket that covers all public transport in SY. And this used o be less than an hours wage at NMW just a few years ago.

---------- Post added 28-08-2014 at 13:45 ----------

Already is.....

Not if you wish to be able to use all 'public' transport.

My Bold

Minimum wage is £6.31!

Thats a bit pedantic. Its still just under an hour people have to work a day unpaid as they have to pay out for travel to and from work.

I've been using my Stagecoach smart card for some time now and it works fine, just load my monthly ticket on and I don't have to worry about having change for the bus.

Only snag is it takes 2 days for your ticket to load so if you forget you have to dig out change for a day until your new ticket is active. A text reminder would be really helpful so you know your card is about to run out of credit.

You can set it up as a recurring order (it's not a Direct Debit) on the Stagecoach website so it just comes out of your account each month and your card is always valid. I do this, I know it's wasteful as there might be a week here and there you don't need it but to know it's always valid and to not have to think about it is great!

I'd love it if there was a pay-as-you-go service, use the card and pay up at the end of the month for the journeys you actually made (up to a maximum per day of the cost of a day ticket would make sense), it'd be ideal for irregular users.

I'd love it if there was a pay-as-you-go service, use the card and pay up at the end of the month for the journeys you actually made (up to a maximum per day of the cost of a day ticket would make sense), it'd be ideal for irregular users.

I think pay-as-you-go means something different, but yes I'd like that to happen too. That's how Oyster works in London: you just go on the bus or the tube and if your fares add up to enough then it automatically just charges you for a travelcard instead of the individual journey fares.

Well...

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/smartcard-about/

So we arent quite there yet with the paperless world we all dream of.

Stagecoach are now capable of reading these cards, both on buses and trams. Dunno about anyone else.

Why would anyone but a maniac dream of a "paperless world"?

A bit of paper is evidence you've paid for something. A lump of plastic you've no way of reading is an open invitation to whoever supplied you with it to deny they've had your cash.

Why would anyone but a maniac dream of a "paperless world"?

A bit of paper is evidence you've paid for something. A lump of plastic you've no way of reading is an open invitation to whoever supplied you with it to deny they've had your cash.

If you have a NFC phone you can see what is on your card using an app. If not then any TIC can check it for you and its recorded in the back office.

But i agree with you on the "paperless world" comment. Only a fool would wish for that