Advice with lighting

Hi I have recently changed the lighting in my bathroom from a single one to 3 12v separate down lights. I have run the 240 original main to a transformer to drop it to 12v. then the new 12v into a junction box which then leads to all 3 separate lights with a wire each.

The lights come on but after around 5 minutes of being on the start to flash and go off but at a slow pace light its going into a safe mode.

Any ideas? :huh:

Some,most 12v have a transfomer each.

A overheating transformer has thermal cut out..

Wait to be corrected

What wattage is the transformer, and what wattage are your lamps? - you can't power 3x 50W lamps from a 60W transformer.

I think your analysis sounds reasonable.

Take 2 of the bulbs out and see if that helps. If so you are probably overloading something.

If the 3 x lights and transformer came as a kit, then I'd be looking to return them as there could be a fault.

If you've specified the transformer yourself, have you bought one that's of sufficient capacity - as you lower the voltage from 230v to 12v, the current will increase.

Have you installed it in an appropriate location in the loft that gives free air flow around it - that may be adding to the problem if not?.

Are all the connections tight?

I'd tend to agree with butlers - sounds like an overload and thermal cut out.

hi I have 1 12v transformer and 3 12 v lights so what should I do get a bigger transformer?

I have put the transformer screwed onto a beam so it has loads of ventilation.

---------- Post added 19-08-2014 at 20:29 ----------

this is the transformer I bought would I need one per light and use the junction box to transfer the 240v to each one or buy I different transformer?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-low-voltage-electronic-transformer-20-60va/48058?_requestid=281023#_=p http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-low-voltage-electronic-transformer-20-60va/48058?_requestid=281023#_=p

One transformer per lamp chris1983.

Your risking your life by attempting something like this yourself as you have created a fire hazzard.

Get an electrician in to do this correctly for you. Wouldnt the price be worth your and your families life?