Sheffield's looking a bit rough around the edges.

I only left Sheffield two years ago but I came back last weekend and I was really quite shocked at how the city has gone backwards. The place is looking tired and so many shops/pubs/businesses are now empty and closed up for good. I walked right the way through town and also around the areas I used to live in, as well as driving around the city, and it felt so much like Sheffield in the 80s.

I suppose it's the result of a Tory government and a lack of investment, but it's such a shame to see. Even things like graffiti and petty vandalism are being left when in previous years they would have been put right. I suppose there is no longer the money. The streets look dirtier and there is much more litter, it was like going back in time.

There was also the feel of a bit of a ghost town, but I'll put that down to the students being away. Maybe the council don't bother to keep the place as clean outside of term time?

I love Sheffield dearly, and I hope to see an upswing soon, hopefully after the next election.

I suspect it is more to do with what you expect to see than with what is actually there. I can't say I have noticed any downward trend. In fact, I'd say Hillsborough is on the up (gently).

I suspect it is more to do with what you expect to see than with what is actually there. I can't say I have noticed any downward trend. In fact, I'd say Hillsborough is on the up (gently).

Hillsborough , really? charity shops, and 2 posh coffee shops! night life died many moons ago ..

but we have BM quality !!

Take a trip to rotherham,you will soon appreciate sheffield.

I do appreciate Sheffield. I actually think it's the fact that when you live in it you don't really notice the downturn. I was born in Sheffield and stayed there (on and off) for over 30 years. I think it's only because of being away and coming back that I noticed what has been happening, I'm sure it started before I left.

Take a trip to rotherham,you will soon appreciate sheffield.

This ^^^^^

I remember spending some nights out in Hillsborough about 15 years ago and it certainly looks much more run down than then and as already noted, the nightlife has died off.

---------- Post added 19-08-2014 at 16:01 ----------

This ^^^^^

Rotherham is pretty much a suburb of Sheffield anyway, but yes I expect that it suffers far more as it doesn't have the economic pull that Sheffield has.

Meadowhall is beautiful though.

Where was it the OP went anyway??

I assume past the Uni and hospital, so probably saw the remnants of the recently demolished Jessops wing??

Into the centre of town, west street??

Probably saw work involving the tram rail replacement.

Down towards Castle market?

About to be demolished, and that end of town re-developed.

Come Along Penistone Road?

A good stretch of that is being re-designed, so currently looks a right old state.

Did they see the new market building down the Moor, the re-developed Park Hill Flats.

The development work around the Train Station?

I think it has got more to do with what the council spend the money on rather than which political party is in Government.

I only left Sheffield two years ago but I came back last weekend and I was really quite shocked at how the city has gone backwards. The place is looking tired and so many shops/pubs/businesses are now empty and closed up for good. I walked right the way through town and also around the areas I used to live in, as well as driving around the city, and it felt so much like Sheffield in the 80s.

I suppose it's the result of a Tory government and a lack of investment, but it's such a shame to see. Even things like graffiti and petty vandalism are being left when in previous years they would have been put right. I suppose there is no longer the money. The streets look dirtier and there is much more litter, it was like going back in time.

There was also the feel of a bit of a ghost town, but I'll put that down to the students being away. Maybe the council don't bother to keep the place as clean outside of term time?

I love Sheffield dearly, and I hope to see an upswing soon, hopefully after the next election.

Typical stupid Sheffield mentality.

I suppose it's the result of a Tory government and a lack of investment

Typical stupid Sheffield mentality.

Who put up over half of the 2 billion quid needed to fund the road resurfacing project thats currently going on??