Would you use language like this..

So,you know better than a UKIP supporting couple who got offended by it?

in this world if some people can get some thing out of it, They Will be offended,No matter what.

in this world if some people can get some thing out of it, They Will be offended,No matter what.

It's OK for UKIP supporters to be offended by it,but not 'Lefties' then?

It's OK for UKIP supporters to be offended by it,but not 'Lefties' then?

i am talking generally not specifically.

What did the couple at the centre of the story have to gain by taking offence at being called ting tong??

What did the couple at the centre of the story have to gain by taking offence at being called ting tong??

There five minutes of fame. you know about them where you would not have, now people know who they are where they did not before.

Give over.

She isn't white, the reference was to her not being white.

I don't think it was a reference to being non-white but, even if it was, why would it be racist to point out someone is non-white?

Have we really become such a sanitised and touchy society that the PC brigade jump on anything said by anyone. ? [...] If the Lefties have nothing better to do than get offended over this

It was the UKIP supporter who was offended.

Vincent Munday said it was outrageous, rude and offensive and he and his wife would withdraw their UKIP membership.

There five minutes of fame. you know about them where you would not have, now people know who they are where they did not before.

I disagree. I could imagine that they will be shunned by some of their local UKIP party colleagues, or laughed by people who live in their local area "Oh, there goes the ting tongs".

I think they were genuinely angry at being mocked and wanted to speak out. There was no publicity seeking on their part.

It was the UKIP supporter who was offended.

Vincent Munday said it was outrageous, rude and offensive and he and his wife would withdraw their UKIP membership.

I think everybody has been called an idiot at some time or other, if a Russian called me an idiot in English i wouldn't think he was racist.

---------- Post added 26-08-2014 at 12:28 ----------

I disagree. I could imagine that they will be shunned by some of their local UKIP party colleagues, or laughed by people who live in their local area "Oh, there goes the ting tongs".

I think they were genuinely angry at being mocked and wanted to speak out. There was no publicity seeking on their part.

you are imagining again, my experience of things like this is sympathy seeking, if they get it or not is a different matter.

it goes like this, Thai that person has hurt my feelings he has insulted me, 'people' Oh you poor thing is there anything i can do.

I don't think it was a reference to being non-white but, even if it was, why would it be racist to point out someone is non-white?
That all depends on the context of this pointing out, doesn't it?

Pointing out that someone is non-white, in the context of an issue wherein 'not being white' is relevant, is arguably not racist: it's a statement of fact that goes to the issue.

Pointing out that someone is non-white as a descriptive only, absent any context (as was the case here) can be racist, subject to the terminology used. Considering the facts, using "ting tong" rather than the equally-relevant and factually-equivalent "Asian" or "Thai" is needlessly pejorative, and so clearly xenophobic.

But you knew this already, of course ;)

Nice strawman, btw :)

Edited by L00b

I think everybody has been called an idiot at some time or other, if a Russian called me an idiot in English i wouldn't think he was racist.

---------- Post added 26-08-2014 at 12:28 ----------

you are imagining again, my experience of things like this is sympathy seeking, if they get it or not is a different matter.

it goes like this, Thai that person has hurt my feelings he has insulted me, 'people' Oh you poor thing is there anything i can do.

Well if they were sympathy seeking they'll be lucky if they get any, especially from their UKIP colleagues