UK Adopts (Digital) Private Copying Exception

Pretty amazing development and the UK is very much trailblazing here, in legal terms. In a very good way for end users.

A new United Kingdom copyright exception for private copying cleared Parliament on 29 July and will become law in October.

<...>

Under the private copying exception, Britons will now be able to copy content they’ve bought or been given onto any device they own, as well as onto private cloud storage, Neville-Rolfe said, according to the Hansard, Parliament’s official report.

The exception, however, “will be narrow and carefully targeted,” barring users from giving or selling copies to anyone else, she said. The regulation differs sharply from personal copying exceptions in other EU countries, which often allow copies to be shared with friends and family but set levies on recording devices and media to compensate creators, she said. The UK government doesn’t think British consumers would tolerate levies, she said.

source

This development clears up the issue of whether ripping your CDs, DVDs, BRs <etc...even private cloud, according to the article! :o> for use on another device is legal or not: from October 2014, it will be.

Will be interesting to see whether this changes the current position of ISPs about the TPB block. Score one for the UK Gvt on this occasion, I for one never thought they'd do it.

Edited by L00b

As usual about three years behind the trend. I don't know many people who still use MP3s/digital media, these days we all seem to be streaming stuff, bypassing the whole issue completely. The Torrent scene is nowhere near as strong as it once was (unless I simply lost track of it) so this isn't really an issue at all any more. But, good on the government for finally waking up.

Does this prevent the likes of Disney using copy blocking technology I wonder?

I asked them if I could legally copy my Frozen DVD onto my tablet so my daughter could watch it driving to Cornwall. I was told I'd have to pay for a digital copy which didn't please me.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I believe you still aren't allowed to circumvent copy protection schemes, so CDs are fine but not most commercial DVDs and Blu-Rays etc

I believe you still aren't allowed to circumvent copy protection schemes, so CDs are fine but not most commercial DVDs and Blu-Rays etc
I'm waiting to see the actual piece of legislation, because of the inherent incompatibility of this development with the circumvention-specific provisions in the current version of the CDPA'88. I'd expect them to be repealed to some extent...or for the exception (as phrased) to somehow permit co-ownership of a copy (howsoever acquired) even though the original is copy-protected.

@ Moosey: provision doesn't kick in until October, m'learned friend ;) Until then, what Mickey said goes (which is mean, considering many retail DVD & BR come with a bundled 'digital copy' these days...but then, it's Disney, which has long done the heavy lifting lobbying-wise about extending copyright types and terms the world over). That very famous copyright-based precedent involving Amstrad (of twin VHS deck fame) is likely to get a bit of dusting off.

Edited by L00b

Is this still bundled with the "copyright land grab", which places any copyrighted content which you can't trace the copyright holder into the public domain?