Percy Pud 10k run

I agree with the last bit of that, but I do also think that the Percy Pud is a great race. It's local, run by the local running club, relatively flat and on a reasonably nice course, I.e.not like the great Yorkshire run. The other local one is the ten-ten-ten, but the paths are a little narrow and so things get very congested , so the Percy pud is still my favorite.
Disagree that the area doesn't have a lot of great races though. I've done lots of races in and near South Yorkshire this year that have been brilliantly organised. Eyam half marathon, Askern's three races, the Round Sheffield Run - plus the Doncaster 5k and Chesterfield marathon / HM which I didn't do but seemed to be great successes and were enjoyed by my friends who did them. Even the Sheffield Half was great craic this year, despite the shambles. Never done Percy Pud but it has a great reputation with my club and I'm looking forward to it this year. Admittedly it's tricky to find PB potential courses in Sheffield, but the Askern 10k is dead flat and it isn't far to go somewhere like Leeds for the Abbey Dash, or Manchester for Trafford, if you want a real speedster's race.

On another note, a friend also missed out on Percy Pud and is looking for a place if anyone has one available.

Askern 10k sounds interesting, will have to check that out. Am sure I did an Askern HM once (2008 I think), but they don't do it anymore. Shame. There's also the Norton 9 (mile).

---------- Post added 15-09-2014 at 22:14 ----------

Or was it Ackworth HM?

Disagree that the area doesn't have a lot of great races though. I've done lots of races in and near South Yorkshire this year that have been brilliantly organised. Eyam half marathon, Askern's three races, the Round Sheffield Run - plus the Doncaster 5k and Chesterfield marathon / HM which I didn't do but seemed to be great successes and were enjoyed by my friends who did them. Even the Sheffield Half was great craic this year, despite the shambles. Never done Percy Pud but it has a great reputation with my club and I'm looking forward to it this year. Admittedly it's tricky to find PB potential courses in Sheffield, but the Askern 10k is dead flat and it isn't far to go somewhere like Leeds for the Abbey Dash, or Manchester for Trafford, if you want a real speedster's race.

On another note, a friend also missed out on Percy Pud and is looking for a place if anyone has one available.

Yes, fair point about the 2 Round Sheffield runs, which I had forgotten. I hadn't really considered those runs outside Sheffield either, so my comment was based on the 'in-city' runs. I do the Sheffield half every year, but have to say that I don't think the route is particularly good, nor that of the Great Yorkshire run when compared to the Percy Pud.

Anyway, I'm still keen to get the chance to earn a Christmas Pudding, so if anyone has a place that they can't use please let me know!

I`ve done Norton and Eyam but I don`t really think of them as Sheffield races tbh. Not done Askern. Heard it`s good but it`s a fair way from Sheffield isn`t it?

I`m just jealous when I see the abundance of races dotted around Preston when I visit in-laws over there. The NW seems to have a handful of prolific race-makers who put on decent events regularly rather than one-offs.

I enjoyed the Trail Rush and agree that the Round runs are an excellent addition. Plus we have so many parkruns in our favour and, hopefully, a proper half marathon in the pipeline....

I was trying to include in and around South Yorkshire. I tried to include races within 30 minutes or so drive from Sheffield. Sheffield itself may be short but I think it's true of most cities outside of London (I have a mate who travels to London regularly and seems to do a different 10k every week down there). I think it's looking up for us though, as you say be good to have a proper half marathon here (I've pre-registered already, you get a discount if you have a number for this year).

I get what you mean about the NW though. Fylde Road Runners seem to organise quite a bit down Lancashire way. My girlfriend did the Blackpool Hilton HM a few weeks ago which was very well organised and I'm planning on doing the Central Lancs HM (starting from Preston, incidentally) on Jan 4th next year - both are Fylde races.

I was trying to include in and around South Yorkshire. I tried to include races within 30 minutes or so drive from Sheffield. Sheffield itself may be short but I think it's true of most cities outside of London (I have a mate who travels to London regularly and seems to do a different 10k every week down there). I think it's looking up for us though, as you say be good to have a proper half marathon here (I've pre-registered already, you get a discount if you have a number for this year).

I get what you mean about the NW though. Fylde Road Runners seem to organise quite a bit down Lancashire way. My girlfriend did the Blackpool Hilton HM a few weeks ago which was very well organised and I'm planning on doing the Central Lancs HM (starting from Preston, incidentally) on Jan 4th next year - both are Fylde races.

Done it 3 times and PBed every time I think!

Done it 3 times and PBed every time I think!
Good to hear - I'll be sure to not overindulge too much over the new year. ;)

I`ve done Norton and Eyam but I don`t really think of them as Sheffield races tbh. Not done Askern. Heard it`s good but it`s a fair way from Sheffield isn`t it?

Askern is practically next door to Norton.

We did the Filey 10k beach race on Sunday. Great conditions, smooth hard sand, just a bit of wind on the way back (it's an out and back race along the beach). Got a course PB, yay! On the down side, a friend beat me by about 8 seconds (very dramatic finish), boo!

If you're happy to travel, it's well worth the day out (about 2 hours to get there).

I got my entry accepted for the Percy Pud 10k. Looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Anyone else entered?

Unfortunately not but would love to get an entry. Anyone got one spare?

Think there`s still a few places left at Bosa and the Edwinstowe (trail) 10k is soon too!

I got my entry accepted for the Percy Pud 10k. Looking forward to seeing how that goes.

Anyone else entered?

Yep, I managed to get a place (think I signed up on the day it opened). Haven't done it for about 3 years. My last memory of it, I think they delayed the start by 1/2 hour, due to puddles on the course!