Electrician? Advice please!

My wife and I have just paid a deposit on a new garage door. It is a key fob remote control, roller shutter door which has been made locally and is booked to be installed next week.

My problem is, that I was told by the salesman that the installation fitters would string a wire and take a feed from the nearest 13amp wall socket.

This worries me as the socket may become overloaded what with the wires that are already in there and there was no mention of the new wire being fitted inside plastic trunking. By that I mean I hope they are not just intending to use plastic clips held in place with small tacks.

With the evermore safety features being introduced, shouldn`t the fitters be taking their power direct from the fuse board?

Help please.

If that is done properly by someone who makes these connections solid and sound it should be fine to do it that way.

If the connections are made loose, mediocre it could be a of cause fire.

The suggested to use nearest 13A source to run that door from is no source of concern as long as the installer makes the connections properly.

If it is being done by the company's installation team then it should fully comply with the regs. I thought work was certified now so that you have documentation that it was done by a qualified and competent person. If they are using trunking then it will totally encase the cable.

Many thanks to dutch and iansheff for your input, I now feel better informed.

Best wishes,

If they are connecting a fuse spur from the socket, then they should also provide you with a minor works certificate for your electrics because they are altering the circuit. Also this circuit must be protected by a RCD if its to go to a garage. Make sure they do this.

They may just run a flex and a plug top to a socket to get around any of the above rules and regs.....