Is my dog legal?

hi just after a bit of advice,dont need negative remarks just advice, basically i rescued a dog 2 weeks ago she really lovely and good around the children and a good guard dog quite protective, only thing is shes a staffy x, now im been told shes cross with a pit!! as far as im aware the pit bulls are illigal, if she is cross with a pit bull does this make her illigal? what will happen? what do i do? i dont want her siezed by the police and get fined or have to g to court iv read things on different sites and laws and im totally unsure how to go about whether i can keep her or not and what to do? can anybody help?

OK, firstly it is illegal to rehome/ give away a pitt type. So the rescue/ original owner would also be in trouble.If they rehomed knowing her breed they should be ashamed, that said I think people just say it.....they have no clue what a pitt type is. I reckon many bull breed / cross breeds could fit the description and guidelines given! Personally I don't think unless she actually is or you go around telling people you have a pitt x you should have a problem.

Get her to regular dog training classes, ensure she is spayed and get a well rounded dog. A protective dog is not well rounded in my opinion and should be discouraged. Follow the same rules you would with any dog....do not leave a dog ever unattended around children however good. My opinion of bull breeds around other dogs is that they generally are not to be trusted, so be savvy... get to know the traits of your breed and know their limits and triggers. Bull breeds like all breeds have their traits from years of selective breeding. try keeping a retriever out of water!

I guess that you could also ring a national rescue for advice and see if they know anyone that you can pay for an assessment of her if you want the peace of mind before you get attached and be aware of the consequences that could have (normally means pts, with no action against yourself)

Hope you find an answer and I reckon your worries are more common than you think. I think many of us with bull breed crosses from rescues/ pounds / private rehomes often worry about it mainly due to others ignorance and calling our dogs pitt types when they are 100% not and us not knowing their history or breeding. They have such a poor reputation due to original poor ownership! Let us know how you get on :)

Edited by Evei

First of all contact the rescue you rescued her from.

If it was a private rehome- ignore everyone and raise the dog in the correct manner.

hi

thankyou both for your replies.

we got her from a private home, who said thyd bought her from a neighbour, they said shed been vaccinated and wormed and flead,(we believe shes 8 month old) and the house was much to be desired as far as living conditions go...........she couldnt give us proof of jabs and then said shed forgot were she had the jabs done. which leads me now to believe she hasnt had them, nor do i think she has been flead or wormed! she has a terrible rash under her back end which i believe to be flea bites, iv never seen a flea rash so im unsure, i want to take her to the vets but im scared incase they report her, i only want her to be vaccinated and the rash checked over and treated, i want to get her "done" too and chipped, if i take her to vets would they refuse treatment and report her if they know shes cross with a pitt? shes a really lovely dog, i wouldnt want to get "caught" with her and have her seized and fined x

Its highly unlikely it is a pit x or that the vet will report her, 99% of the general population wouldn't recognise a proper pit bull if it bit them.

Sooner she gets to the vets the better. Check for free or assistance with staffys for neutering and stuff as well.

ok thankyou. im getting her to the vets just need to find one i was thinking of going to vets4pets? ideally need one with a payment plan for unexpected large bills, other bills are fine i just like to be prepared for the future, maybe ill just tell them shes a staffy x as i think shes more like a staffy anyway x

thats great!! thankyou im not sure well qualify but worth a try! x

thats great!! thankyou im not sure well qualify but worth a try! x

vet4pets are great and they have always been great with mine. I choose to insure my dog rather than do a payment plan. Ask about the vac for life programme, you pay upfront but if it is a young dog it is worth the money.

I bought my first lot of wormer/ flea treatment from the vet but after you know the dosage and brand just use one of the online vets, they are cheaper and normally free postage.

Good luck sounds like she has found a good home x

My opinion of bull breeds around other dogs is that they generally are not to be trusted

My opinion is the complete opposite! We have an American Bulldog, a Bull Mastiff, A Staffy and a German Shepherd. All except the GSD are rescue dogs. The GSD is grumpy but the 3 bull breeds are the best of friends. They're all brilliant together. But of course, as with any dog, you should always be careful.

Just tell people she's a Staffy or Staffy cross. You're probably worrying for no reason. Don't worry about taking her to the vets, I'm sure they won't report her. Good luck :)

My opinion is the complete opposite! We have an American Bulldog, a Bull Mastiff, A Staffy and a German Shepherd. All except the GSD are rescue dogs. The GSD is grumpy but the 3 bull breeds are the best of friends. They're all brilliant together. But of course, as with any dog, you should always be careful.luck :)

I don't like collies with other dogs but it is just down to experience. :) I guess it is just down to the ones you meet. I have been unlucky with the smaller bull breeds, boarder terriers and collies :)) Yet to meet a grumpy whippet, large bull breed, spaniel or mastiff, always time though! 100% owners fault in my opinion though for letting them be off lead and grumpy, its not always the breed but what the breed attracts as owners and I own a bull breed cross, so see the general reaction of owning a large bull breed cross.

Edited by Evei

Do you have a picture you could post?