Anyone come from gleadless/base green

It would make the thread more interesting, and encourage more to join in if posters could mention some anecdotes about people, places, events, rather than just stating the name of a road.

This isn't my area but I have a relative who does live there, so am interested about what went on there.

I also spent a lot of time in Spot in 60s/70s,my parents were regulars in the lounge,i remember watching it being built in the late 50s,its a bit of a sad looking place now.

I lived on Kirkby Drive from 1964 until 1982 when I went off to University, and my parents still live there.

There were lots of kids all around the same age living on the Kirkby estate and many a happy time was had playing in the road or on the Green, our name for the open land between Kirkby View and Ridgeway Road.

The first house I lived on Basegreen was on Lister Ave, It was discovered that a stream ran under the property and there was about six feet of water under the kitchen floor, needless to say it was always damp so we moved to Basegreen Drive for a few years then in the early 70s some friends of ours were vacating a house at the bottom of Lister Crescent which my mum and dad fancied, so we moved there. I left in the early 80s but can remember; The Hewitts, Hinchliffes, Elshaws, Oldales, Woodwards, Todds, Morrells, Chapmans, Butlers, Havenhands, Fishers, Barsons, etc, I'm sure a load more will spring to mind!.

Charnock dale road 1966 to 1986, my dad still lives there.