Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

How sad that this thread seems to have stopped. I thought that i would try to bring it back to life again. I lived off the bottom of Clarence Street on the other side of the Co-op but I knew all the places mentioned. The Vine pub btw was situated on Hodgson Street near St. Silas school not near Lansdowne Road at all.

Grannypat

There is still today.. May 2016... a ''Vine inn'' on Cemetery road / Sunderland street... maybe that was regarded as near to 'Lansdowne' ?

Hi Oscar2157.

Is there really? Oh well, in that case I stand corrected. I really can't remember a Vine Inn in that area. I haven't a clue what's there now. I think if I were to beam myself up to Sheffield today I would be completely lost. All the roads that were a part of my every day life for so many years no longer seem to exist. Except in my memory, of course.

Grannypat

How sad that this thread seems to have stopped. I thought that i would try to bring it back to life again. I lived off the bottom of Clarence Street on the other side of the Co-op but I knew all the places mentioned. The Vine pub btw was situated on Hodgson Street near St. Silas school not near Lansdowne Road at all.

Grannypat

there was also a Vine pub near the top of Summerfield st/ Cemetery rd, I think it maybe flats now

---------- Post added 10-06-2016 at 23:32 ----------

Hi Oscar2157.

Is there really? Oh well, in that case I stand corrected. I really can't remember a Vine Inn in that area. I haven't a clue what's there now. I think if I were to beam myself up to Sheffield today I would be completely lost. All the roads that were a part of my every day life for so many years no longer seem to exist. Except in my memory, of course.

Grannypat

I know what you mean, I was born on Ecclesall road opposite the Wards brewery now the whole area has gone

Hi everyone, I saw this post re people who lived on Landsdown Road ,I found it fascinating.There was a mention by Minimo about the Baggott family,as her sister had been bridesmaid to my sister Margaret. I was Jenny Baggott before my marriage and have happy memories of great times there growing up. I wonder do any of you remember Janet Douglas who lived next door but two to us,Janet and Leslie Foster who lived next door but one,and Glynn Hadfield who lived next door.There were the Hooper girls,Ann,Pauline,and Kitty,the Crawford girls who's names I cannot remember,Denise Humphries who later became a model,and her brother. I remember the rag and bone man who used to come down the street,great lollies from Mrs Greens,a penny if they were plain twopence if covered in chocolate,and big Georgie who used to come round with his banner singing when it was voting time.Great times playing marbles in the street,and the icicles we used to pull off where they were hanging to suck on ,the winters were really cold then. Sharrow Lane School,when everyone walked to school then wherever you lived,the tin bath hanging on the wall used until we got too big and had to go to the slipper baths.Thank you for the memories it has brought back,happy times.

Hi Sharrowyank

We lived at 45, with Great Aunt Sophia at 23, later an uncle lived there. My grandfather lived on Franklin St. Families did tend to stick together in those days, its a shame that doesn't happen much now.

Apart from a few photos taken of us kids in the yard, the only photo I have at the front of the house is when they were being demolished. the roofs were off but the rest of the houses were still standing.

I am just wondering if you knew a family called Baggott. They would have been on the odd numbered side, probably somewhere quite near you. There were three girls, Margaret, Jennifer, and Hilary. My sister was Margaret's bridesmaid when she married.

Jennifer once appeared on tv singing a Connie Francis number, I think it was Lipstick on your collar.

We moved to Derbyshire in 1958, and back to Sheffield in 1960. Couldn't stay away of course.

I really hope we can get some others to join the thread.

A bit or rooad from the Lansdown but did any one use the Milton pub on Milton Street.I seem to remember some locals from around the Lacarno area in the early sixties .

I wonder if Hillsbro has a photo of the Milton some where in his amazing archive .

Hi everyone, I saw this post re people who lived on Landsdown Road ,I found it fascinating.There was a mention by Minimo about the Baggott family,as her sister had been bridesmaid to my sister Margaret. I was Jenny Baggott before my marriage and have happy memories of great times there growing up. I wonder do any of you remember Janet Douglas who lived next door but two to us,Janet and Leslie Foster who lived next door but one,and Glynn Hadfield who lived next door.There were the Hooper girls,Ann,Pauline,and Kitty,the Crawford girls who's names I cannot remember,Denise Humphries who later became a model,and her brother. I remember the rag and bone man who used to come down the street,great lollies from Mrs Greens,a penny if they were plain twopence if covered in chocolate,and big Georgie who used to come round with his banner singing when it was voting time.Great times playing marbles in the street,and the icicles we used to pull off where they were hanging to suck on ,the winters were really cold then. Sharrow Lane School,when everyone walked to school then wherever you lived,the tin bath hanging on the wall used until we got too big and had to go to the slipper baths.Thank you for the memories it has brought back,happy times.

Denise was a friend of mine in our early teens I also had a good friend called Jennifer Johnson who lived at the end of boston street, I wonder if anyone knows what happened to her

I attended Sharrow lane school 1942-52 and always remember Denise Humphries as "Delyse" Humphries, she would hang around the Tuck Shop along with a few other boys and girls and I remember she went into the "beauty" business, she would be about 79-80 years of age now.

I attended Sharrow lane school 1942-52 and always remember Denise Humphries as "Delyse" Humphries ... she would be about 79-80 years of age now.
Public records show that Delyse Yvonne Humphreys was born in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1937, so you are spot on! She evidently hasn't married and the 2014 electoral roll finds her in S8.

Public records show that Delyse Yvonne Humphreys was born in Sheffield in Apr-Jun 1937, so you are spot on! She evidently hasn't married and the 2014 electoral roll finds her in S8.

A lovely lass, my missus bought a handbag from her years ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=delyse+humphreys&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#imgrc=ObplqUTzgo2bbM%3A

Somrbody mentioned Arnie's ( Washington Arms ), I went in there often to play snooker, my mate Jack Glossop used to call Arnie, cripple, because he had a dummy leg which, so the story goes, was a result of playing football for Wolves. Every Saturday night the table was covered and homosexuals performed and it was better than going to the theatre, laugh a minute. All gone now of course. I lived on Priory Terrace. Anyone remember the Kay family.

Certainly do....please try to get to our reunion at Sharrow Lane School cafe, 2pm, friday 10th february 2017....also see the thread on this ....And please tell all the other Priory terrace folk, the Baxters? and the Bowers? Many of the remaining Fentonvillains will be there.