Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

I have been challenged to start a thread for anyone who lived/lives in that area.

On another thread it seems to be that the 'Anyone from Grimesthorpe' thread has been allowed special privileges. I don't know if that is true, but I am hoping there might be some interest from ex or indeed present Lansdowners.

Anyone?

Hi,MINIMO. long time no chat. Yes I lived on LANSDOWNE RD in the 1950s to the late 60s until the demolition of the area. I lived at #88.It was a great street and have a lot of happy memories growing up there. My grandparents lived next door at #90 and my aunt and uncle lived at #66. Mrs Greens shop I remember, lollypops dipped in chocolate, Taggys ice crem van and later Mr Whippy. Fanny Robinsons shop was directly opposite our house. It had a spearmint machine outside the ftont door and every fourth turn you got 2 for 1.Ah the days of simple pleasures.There is so much to talk about ,but I shall wait for other replies before I take up the whole screen.

Hi Sharrowyank

We lived at 45, with Great Aunt Sophia at 23, later an uncle lived there. My grandfather lived on Franklin St. Families did tend to stick together in those days, its a shame that doesn't happen much now.

Apart from a few photos taken of us kids in the yard, the only photo I have at the front of the house is when they were being demolished. the roofs were off but the rest of the houses were still standing.

I am just wondering if you knew a family called Baggott. They would have been on the odd numbered side, probably somewhere quite near you. There were three girls, Margaret, Jennifer, and Hilary. My sister was Margaret's bridesmaid when she married.

Jennifer once appeared on tv singing a Connie Francis number, I think it was Lipstick on your collar.

We moved to Derbyshire in 1958, and back to Sheffield in 1960. Couldn't stay away of course.

I really hope we can get some others to join the thread.

Howdy all.....Not a 'Landsdowner' but a 'Franklin street'er..... Lived at No. 83, from a nipper, until about 1960 - then we moved to No.77 ..the corner off licence shop on 'Franklin / Salmon street. My Mum and Dad ran the shop till demolition. Had many a hair cut with 'Horace Hull'... a few beers and my 21st. in 'The Washington' ..and I recall great sledging down Lansdowne all the way to The Mecca'./.Locarno .

Edited by oscar2157

Ah the Locarno! Have to say I never went in because I was too young when we lived on Lansdowne.

I wonder if you knew my grandad Arthur Odell? I am not sure what number he lived at, but it wasn't very far along from turning into Franklin St from L Rd.

I don't remember the sledging, but I wonder if anyone else made a trolley from pram wheels, an orange box and a bit of string? My brother made one and would career down the hill on it. There was very little traffic in those days, in fact I don't know of anyone else having a car apart from us as my dad was a taxi driver till his death in 1954. I can also still remember our phone number 21420.

You Lansdowners might be interested to see this scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory..:)

You Lansdowners might be interested to see this scan from the 1954 Kelly's Directory..:)

Oh that's really great, thanks very much.

I can see the Baggott family lived at 115, further up than I would have thought.

In the next yard to ours were the Shaw family, whose son John was badly burned when he stood too near the fire in his nightwear. I wonder if any of these I have named are Forummers. It would be lovely to hear from them.

Is your family listed Sharrowyank?

Yes MINIMO, we lived at the top of Lansdowne Rd firs and then moved to #88. we are in the 1965 Kelley guide.

---------- Post added 15-08-2014 at 11:01 ----------

Just got out my magnifying glasses, we ARE in the posted 1954 Kelley guide, That's my dad Fred at #88, and my granddad at #90.

You wouldn't happen to have the page showing Franklin St would you? I'd love to know what number my grandad lived at.

I looked up Franklin St but most of the addresses are courts with just numbers. Give me a # and I will check. Did we all go to SHARROW LANE school ? I also see that the old SHARROW ST JOHNS church has been demolished. I was in the boy scouts there, the 139th. I am starting to feel very nostalgic. The milky bars are on me !

Hi Minimo - I was going to scan Franklin Street as it had been mentioned in the thread, but as sharrowyank noted it seems that all the properties were back-to-back or "court" houses, and Kelly's only indicated the court number without individual occupants (some "courts" are shown on the Lansdowne Road scan). So for Franklin Street, apart from "Court 1 to Court 18", only the businesses are indicated - Cecil Chapell, greengrocer at No 47, Alice Small, shopkeeper at No 53 (also at No 52), Hugh Dick, grocer at No 77, Henry White, builder in the yard of No 52 and the Franklin Hotel at No 118.