Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

Hello again Minimo - how nice to hear from you again.  I didn’t realise you had another brother and a sister - perhaps they were born after we had moved up to no.79 in 1951/52.  I don’t recall the ginger haired brothers - again they probably moved in after we had moved up the road. An elderly lady by the name of Mrs Wilkinson took no. 54 after us and yes the F Turner you referred to was my lovely Dad Frank.  My equally lovely Mum was Elsie. 

You ask about playing marbles on the cobbles in Club Garden Road?  I know exactly the spot you are referring to - it was in the middle of the road outside Jowett’s pawnshop and as I mentioned in my earlier post marbles was a great source of income for me and that particular hole was my favourite!  I took up crown green bowls in my 40’s and my Dad was convinced that it was my passion for marbles that guided me in that direction. I played for 28 years for both Todwick and Hillsborough. 

I am sorry to learn of David Rowan’s passing but pleased to hear that Carole is still with us. Please ask your sister to give my best love to Carole and to tell her that I still think of her fondly. 

To help with the time scale of things I was born in August 1942. 

We'll be sure to mention you to Carole next time my sister sees her. Michael was born in 1944, Malcolm on the same date in 1946 (clever Mum, how did she manage that?) me in 1947 and baby sister Janet Sheila in 1953. Dad died in 1954 and in 1958 we moved to Derbyshire. Couldn't stay away though, came back to Sheffield in 1960. One name I've never forgotten is a boy called Tommy Justice who lived further down the road. Funny how some memories stick like glue.

Hello again ? (You have mentioned your siblings names but not your own).  I was saddened to learn of your Dad’s passing so young.  Your poor Mum having had to cope with Michael’s tragic accident followed by the loss of him too with such a young family to take care of must have been unbearable. 

Ironically enough you remember Tommy Justice  - for only 3 or 4  weeks ago my cousin told me that he had recently died.  I vaguely remember him as a fair haired lad - a bit of a rogue - with a somewhat formidable mother!  However I then Googled “Tommy Justice Sheffield” ( I don’t for the life of me know why but I do tend to use Google a lot) and lo and behold there was his picture on “Memorygiving.com” stating that he had passed away in May aged 74 - just thought you might like to know that Minimo whatever your name is.

Out of interest did you and your brothers go to Sharrow Lane School?  I’ve a feeling somehow that you didn’t. 

Susan here, aka Minimo. Sad about Tommy, we have quite a bit in common, as I see from what was said about him. I must have been aware he was a bit of a rascal as I thought his name was ironic (not that I knew that word back then)  But he sounded a lovely man.

We all went to St Barnabas on Cecil Rd. I remember the head Mr Nutting and my class teacher Miss Cuckson, friends were Frances Priest, Gwendoline Cawthorne, and Geoffrey  Horsepool. I wonder where they all are now.

I was always a bit scared of Mr Jowett in the pawnshop but Malcolm says he was a nice chap really.

On 22/08/2014 at 15:06, Pmack37 said:

Hi landsdowne, I lived there till 1959, at number 71 next door to mrs Green, I remember micheal green , also Brian porter who went to Australia he had a sister but cannot remember her name, also knew mrs robinson and her son bill who had the shop , was in touch with bill until maybe two years ago, but since not spoken , memories of sledges and bills bonfire outside the shop, Rose Elliott was a friend of mine, also the turner family number 79 I think not sure though, Pat Elaine and Joyce.

Happy memories ..

Hi there - I’m sure you must be Pauline Clark  - this is Elaine Turner that was. I do hope you are keeping well and would love to hear from you. 

Hi Elaine

it was nice of you to get in touch on the forum after all these years, how the years roll by. Cannot believe we have come this far from Lansdowne rd years. Do hope you are keeping well. Who could forget your mum and dad I was often in your house when they lived at 54 and then 79. It would be nice if we could exchange email addresses but I am not sure how ?. Pauline.

I have posted some photos of workers at Thos Meldrums in the photos section of the Sheffield History Forum, having been unsuccessful at posting on this website. They are mostly folk from Sharrow/London Road area.

Hello again - sorry for the delay in getting back to you - yes Brian Porters sister was called Mavis. 

On 15/10/2021 at 14:00, Pmack38 said:

Hi Elaine

it was nice of you to get in touch on the forum after all these years, how the years roll by. Cannot believe we have come this far from Lansdowne rd years. Do hope you are keeping well. Who could forget your mum and dad I was often in your house when they lived at 54 and then 79. It would be nice if we could exchange email addresses but I am not sure how ?. Pauline.

Hi Pauline - shocked yet delighted to hear from you!  Please get in touch - [email protected]. 

On 05/12/2021 at 15:21, DavidFrance said:

I have posted some photos of workers at Thos Meldrums in the photos section of the Sheffield History Forum, having been unsuccessful at posting on this website. They are mostly folk from Sharrow/London Road area.

Hi David, I've been looking for the photos but is there an easy way to find them? There are so many with no information or date attached

2 hours ago, Minimo said:

Hi David, I've been looking for the photos but is there an easy way to find them? There are so many with no information or date attached

Look for the search box at the top of the page revealed when you use the Photos drop down in Sheffield History Forum (NOT Sheffield Forum) . Type Meldrum in and click and up it comes. Good luck!