Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

2 hours ago, Minimo said:

I have just noticed this topic is still going strong. I loved your post Elaine, with mention of my family , Odell, and the Rowans who were our next door neighbours. My brother Michael died when his bike went into the Thames. I was about 4 and I remember a policeman bending down to me and telling me to run off home as he didn't want any more accidents. We were still in touch with Carol Rowan till just a few years ago. I have some photos of us kids with David Rowan. Our other neighbours were Frank and Elsie Ward and their son Sidney (who always said he wanted to marry my mum after she was widowed) So many memories, sad and happy.

I recall my mum Kath France worked with a Mrs Odell when she was at Meldrum's in John St. Likely the same one? I posted a photo of Meldrum workers on the Forum a few years back. I also have other pics I could dig out. They were a very sociable lot but my Mum was sacked without notice after over 20 years with the firm when she asked for a lighter job on doctor's advice. I took them to ACAS and got her a large payout. 

10 hours ago, DavidFrance said:

I recall my mum Kath France worked with a Mrs Odell when she was at Meldrum's in John St. Likely the same one? I posted a photo of Meldrum workers on the Forum a few years back. I also have other pics I could dig out. They were a very sociable lot but my Mum was sacked without notice after over 20 years with the firm when she asked for a lighter job on doctor's advice. I took them to ACAS and got her a large payout. 

What was Meldrums David? I know mum worked at 2 wholesale chemists, Gilbert Jackson and Smith and Hill, but Meldrums doesn't ring a bell, could be before I was really aware of much. I used to go to one of those chemists in school holidays and particularly recall the very strong smell of Rennies.  Just googled  Meldrums, I see it is still there on John St. As far as I know Mum didn't work at any tool firms, but dad had  2 brothers whose wives were Vera and Irene, so it may have been one of them. I'd love to see the photo.

Edited by Minimo
added information

Hi Minimo, Meldrums is in John St although I didn't know they were still trading. they made stuff like car ramps, wheel braces and small tools. I'll look out the photos and post them on here. 

I look forward to seeing them.

Here are some photos of Meldrums' people. One is in the factory yard. The others are when they were having summer outings or nights out. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who can name any of the groups.    If there are no photos with this reply, I apologise. The instructions from the Forum on inserting photos don't seem to work for me.  (Dragging into the box or pasting). 

Another try: 

Repeated attempts to put pics in on both Bing and Google Chrome but the alleged paste option advised by the Forum owners just don't work. Suggestions welcome. 

Hi David, I'd be happy to message you my email address if you would care to send them that way?

Does anyone remember Terry Smith who was in his early teens when he lived on Lansdowne Road in the early 60s?

Regarding Meldrum's my father Roy Hellewell and mother Gladys Barker worked there in the forties and fifties.

On 27/08/2021 at 09:05, Minimo said:

I have just noticed this topic is still going strong. I loved your post Elaine, with mention of my family , Odell, and the Rowans who were our next door neighbours. My brother Michael died when his bike went into the Thames. I was about 4 and I remember a policeman bending down to me and telling me to run off home as he didn't want any more accidents. We were still in touch with Carol Rowan till just a few years ago. I have some photos of us kids with David Rowan. Our other neighbours were Frank and Elsie Ward and their son Sidney (who always said he wanted to marry my mum after she was widowed) So many memories, sad and happy.

Hi there Minimo  - we lived opposite you at no. 54 until I was 10 yrs old  and the day your brother drowned is a dreadful memory that has stayed with me all my life.  I remember the police  arriving to tell your Dad the heartbreaking news  and  him coming outside so distraught to inform the neighbours of the tragic loss of his son.  Everyone was in total shock and I as a child could not comprehend that a little boy could go away on holiday and never return and I know my mother had great difficulty in helping me deal with it.  A sad sad day. 

On a lighter note - I remember Sydney Ward very well and as for Carol Rowan  - a lovely sweet and gentle girl who was so close to her Mum who I always knew as Aunty Carrie.  Oh the memories of childhood both happy and sad that stay with you and yet are always so good to share. 

Hi Elaine, I've just had email replies from my brother and sister re your memories. We are blown way to read of our tragedy from a different viewpoint. I'm so sorry you were so upset. I think we must have played together, though none of us can remember many names now. My brother remembers 2 ginger haired brothers who lived opposite us, they had a tv and Malcolm watched the coronation there in 1953. Did you ever play with marbles in the cobbles on the corner with Club Garden Rd.?  I have a street index from the 50s and F Turner is indeed at number 54, your dad I presume.

My sister said to tell you she still sees Carole  sometimes and she is still the same lovely person. Her brother David died a few years ago.