Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

Hi David - I think I saw the reunion video on You Tube.  Good to hear from you too.  

Big Georgie,His other election chant was   Vote Vote Vote for Joan Mellors.       Do you remember this.          Happy Hour Oh its jolly fine ,Its for children under 99 ,,   All are welcome . Seats are given Free.   Sheffields Happy Hour is the place for me.

Hi Alan - yes I do remember Happy Hour at the Methodist church on Cemetery Road.  I went every Thursday night with finders crossed that it would be a “magic lantern” (they were slides projected on to a screen) usually about a poor little match girl or orphan Annie - either way they used to reduce me to tears but they were the nearest thing to a film we could get at that time.   My God I sound like Methuselah now don’t I!  The remainder of that verse you mentioned was “ all are welcome - seats are given free - and Sheffield’s Happy Hour is the place for me”.  Mr Billington was the preacher at the time. 

I’ve still got a New Testament awarded to me from the Happy Hour for being a good girl in not speaking and paying attention!  Beat that!

13 hours ago, elainetame said:

I’ve still got a New Testament awarded to me from the Happy Hour for being a good girl in not speaking and paying attention!  Beat that!

Bet you didn't get any awards for good behaviour from Miss Roberts!

How right you are David - I was caned by that dreadful woman for talking - only I was not guilty!  The difference between her and the kind and caring Mrs Middleton was vast and we were blessed to have her to have her teach us the following year if only to eradicate the terror of being taught by fear!!!

So while the subject is still hot, some names have come to mind from lansdown rd ,sharrow lane . and the old 139th S johns boy scouts.                     any updates would be appreciated .   John Richardson.  Roger Hunt. Michael Hunt> Harvey Faber. Roy Ratheram. Johnny Mangles. Johnny Briggs. Stewart Mosely. David Donaldson. Peter Deakin. Mike Grayson "139th"  Roger Wade "139th" Roger Stevenson.  They must be all like me now getting on a bit.

18 hours ago, sharrowyank said:

So while the subject is still hot, some names have come to mind from lansdown rd ,sharrow lane . and the old 139th S johns boy scouts.                     any updates would be appreciated .   John Richardson.  Roger Hunt. Michael Hunt> Harvey Faber. Roy Ratheram. Johnny Mangles. Johnny Briggs. Stewart Mosely. David Donaldson. Peter Deakin. Mike Grayson "139th"  Roger Wade "139th" Roger Stevenson.  They must be all like me now getting on a bit.

Their woggles will be well worn, that's for sure.  I wasn't in the Scouts but went to Sunday School at St Johns and just loved it when it was a Parade Sunday. One of the Scout Leaders lived on Fentonville St but I can't remember his name. He kept the pack Handcart in the former stables at the rear of his house  and I recall the Scouts coming along to get it when it was camp time.  Going to hell in a handcart had a different meaning then. 

The camp was probably at Hesley wood.

As for Sunday school , I can’t remember his name but the teacher was a a big member of Sheffield cricket lovers society , and he spoke with a slight lisp . Back to the scouts , I played the bugle in the band .

There was a Brian Drabble on Fentonville St, too. Brian is now 81 and lives on Gosforth Valley (Dronfield) but sadly has poor health. He has been to a couple of reunions though.  Brian is best remembered on the street for the caliper on his leg which never stopped him getting up to all kinds of tricks. His dad engineered a Hercules bike so that the left pedal freewheeled to allow his caliper to rest there whilst his right leg did all the work on a fixed gear with a Sturmey Archer hub.  That bike took Brian on many long trips to the Plant at Donnie and even on one occasion to the big railway hub at Gorton. And "tracking" in Millhouses Woods and the cutting at Twentywell.  I don't recall Brian ever setting foot in St John's though I have a feeling he was in a Boys Brigade pack somewhere. 

I have just noticed this topic is still going strong. I loved your post Elaine, with mention of my family , Odell, and the Rowans who were our next door neighbours. My brother Michael died when his bike went into the Thames. I was about 4 and I remember a policeman bending down to me and telling me to run off home as he didn't want any more accidents. We were still in touch with Carol Rowan till just a few years ago. I have some photos of us kids with David Rowan. Our other neighbours were Frank and Elsie Ward and their son Sidney (who always said he wanted to marry my mum after she was widowed) So many memories, sad and happy.