Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

On 06/07/2020 at 12:44, Leipzig said:

Hi Johnofwrong

The picture is Franklin Street, Lansdowne Road is in the background. Half of the front of the bakery can be seen directly behind the two women.

Link to picture: https://ibb.co/album/fYRc1G

One of my Farther in laws (many) favourite stories was one of his relations (maiden name Slingsby?) used to make and sell home made lemonade from her house on Lansdown Rd.

Love the snap shot, but Franklin St is a little different to how i remember it as I only knew the Landsdown area at the end of its life.

We lived on Randall St before that area received the same fate. With going to Sharrow lane I had quite a few friends who lived around there including Landsdown Rd itself. Its the clearances I remember most and was one big play ground for us young uns as people moved out and the houses became derelict before finally being pulled down. We played on (and in) the demolished houses. Not much in the way of health and safety back then and it wasn't unusual to see gangs of youth's playing amongst the half ruined buildings. Bonfires were a big thing and with a plenty full supply of interior doors that with a piece of wood in the door jamb would pull the door off its hinges on shutting.

One of my School friends lived just behind the Railway pub on Cliff St. I have a feeling the houses at the bottom of Cliff St went before Landsdown (?).

Once they started building the new Maisonette's they became our playground again no health and safety back then and some of the antic's we got up to doesn't bare thinking about. but If my Mother found out we used to play on top of the roofs and the open walk ways prior to any railings being fitted to the Maisonette's she now lives in she'd have Kittens. I've mentioned it else where the biggest thing I can remember is the amount of things that were left behind by behind as people moved out of Franklin St, Lansdown, etc. Gas masks and Tommy Helmets were every where as were abandoned cars push bikes furniture etc.etc etc.

Happy Daze.

Another thought.

I'm almost sure our Doctors used to be on Lansdown Rd (house) before it moved into another house on Cemetery Rd (just before Washington Rd) (didn't one of the Doctors shoot himself ?)

Happy daze & many splinters  

13 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

I'm almost sure our Doctors used to be on Lansdown Rd (house) before it moved into another house on Cemetery Rd (just before Washington Rd) (didn't one of the Doctors shoot himself ?)

Happy daze & many splinters  

Yes he did, Dr Blake I think. He was always good to us kids, he'd give you a couple of smarties make you think you were taking some pills

The surgery was indeed on Cemetery Rd just before it met Washington Rd. On either side of the steps were pure white concrete area's, we called it the 'white patch'

22 minutes ago, 13court2 said:

Yes he did, Dr Blake I think. He was always good to us kids, he'd give you a couple of smarties make you think you were taking some pills

The surgery was indeed on Cemetery Rd just before it met Washington Rd. On either side of the steps were pure white concrete area's, we called it the 'white patch'

Thank you 13court2.

That's the guy - Dr Blake and his massive jar of Smarties.

I remember having an injection for something and having felt a darn sight worse than i did before i'd had it and walking back home along the then dark, wet, half pulled down and half  Derelict Franklin St .

something that puzzled me how did the few terrace houses on Mount St and Club St that are still there now miss the clearences?

Were they any better than the houses that went?

18 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Had a pal on club St Dave Hunt passed away years ago but was well known for having terriers and lurcher dogs for hunting 🤔

Hello Gaz couldn't find a Hunt in the Kellys I have but did find a few of my old Junior school friends 3 of them on Club St (Browns & Birtles) and then found others in the surrounding streets. 

Happy Daze.

18 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Had a pal on club St Dave Hunt passed away years ago but was well known for having terriers and lurcher dogs for hunting 🤔

I remember a Dave Hunt, if it's the same one he had a brother called Steve

4 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Sorry can't remember was around 1980 when I last saw him... His wife was a lot younger than him used to go in tramways on London Road good old Saturday nights 👍Dave was a landscape gardener worked up ringinlow and was only around 50 when he passed away. 

Yeah, it's the same Dave Hunt, he died a few years ago, his brother Steve and I played a couple of seasons for The Crown AFC across the road from tramways, they used to go on London Road on Fridays as well as Saturdays 

I remember Johnny Hammond  and the bakery . I lived at #88 . A few doors down was another friend , Johnny Mangles. and farther down on the other side of the street was Johnny Briggs .  We lived directly opposite  Fanny Robinson’s shop .

7 hours ago, sharrowyank said:

I remember Johnny Hammond  and the bakery . I lived at #88 . A few doors down was another friend , Johnny Mangles. and farther down on the other side of the street was Johnny Briggs .  We lived directly opposite  Fanny Robinson’s shop .

there was a shop on the same side as Hammonds bakery further down, called Millachips, you must have been just below that

We lived at 146 Lansdowne road,left in 1966 when a was 6. Went to Sharrow infant school. Beforere   moving to   Gleadless .

Anyone remember Albert and May Potts who had the Sheaf on Frazer Road Woodseats.

12 minutes ago, Yorkyhells said:

Anyone remember Albert and May Potts who had the Sheaf on Frazer Road Woodseats.

I wasn't aware Lansdowne road ran up to Woodseats

Does anyone have any info/memories/pictures of no.s 108 and 110 Lansdowne road? In the early 1900's no. 110 was a beerhouse run by my 2xgreat grandmother Sarah Padget. She died in 1914 and it was taken over by her son in law (my great grandfather) William Bullock. Also next door at 108 lived Sarah's son John Robert Hunt and his wife Aminda ( also known as Belinda or Linda) They where still living there in 1939 while the Bullocks had moved to Club Garden Road. If anyone knows anything we would be very greatful for more information. Thank you