Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

We were thrilled to find this thread.

At No. 17 lived my sister and brother in law, "Hardman Jn. W."

One Guy Fawkes Night, Jack decided to burn an old settee for our bonfire; so we broke it up; so much money appeared from its interior that we bought toffee all round.

A few cracks appeared in the brick wall at the back from the heat of this great blaze!

My sister, Eileen, was very good with babies, and several unsettled littlies were taken to Mrs. Hardman to be held and comforted.

I stand corrected by my wife; the "settee money" bought fish and chips all round; Jack & Eileen had 4 children then, and several neighbours joined us.

Edited by jfish1936
Memory error

We were thrilled to find this thread.

At No. 17 lived my sister and brother in law, "Hardman Jn. W."

One Guy Fawkes Night, Jack decided to burn an old settee for our bonfire; so we broke it up; so much money appeared from its interior that we bought toffee all round.

A few cracks appeared in the brick wall at the back from the heat of this great blaze!

My sister, Eileen, was very good with babies, and several unsettled littlies were taken to Mrs. Hardman to be held and comforted.

What years were you there? I had a succession of kin living at 23, names of Jenkin or Odell.

I remember the Earl Grey opposite the Devonshire Arms they were towards the town end from The Star.

What years were you there? I had a succession of kin living at 23, names of Jenkin or Odell.

Jack was a painter and decorator; unfortunately, the bad winter of 1947 cost him his big outdoor painting contract and bankrupted him; they couldn't keep up the mortgage on their house, and moved to Lansdowne Road in 1948.

Around 1960 - 61, they were rehoused in Gray Street council housing.

Their children were David, Kathleen, Martin and Michael. Twins Lilian and Lorraine were born after they left Lansdowne Rd.

I am willing to bet we played together, even though the names don't ring a bell.

1947 had a lot to answer for. My dad almost got arrested when he was caught picking up a few bits of coal from the railway embankment. Luckily the sergeant used a bit of common sense and let him off with a warning. 'Don't let me catch you again' In other words, keep your eyes peeled and if you see me coming, hide.

I remember Roy Benson he lived in the terrace houses which were where the Waitrose entrance above the church is now. His friend was Roy Parton who lived in Pearl Street. We and many more friends had wonderful times at the Abbeydale Ballroom in the mid 1940's.

I am willing to bet we played together, even though the names don't ring a bell.

1947 had a lot to answer for. My dad almost got arrested when he was caught picking up a few bits of coal from the railway embankment. Luckily the sergeant used a bit of common sense and let him off with a warning. 'Don't let me catch you again' In other words, keep your eyes peeled and if you see me coming, hide.

my dad was a plasterer till that year ,the year I was born, he had to go to work down the mines. They were allowed so much free coal each year and many people used to come for a bag of coal when times were bad, he never turned hem away

Did anyone go to the Star childrens matinees on Saturday mornings? I can still almost taste the ice lollies we used to get. I remember they had a competition one week for the most words any child could make from 'Constantinople' I came second.

There was always a serial which kept us coming back to see 'what happened next'. Always a cowboy film of course, Hopalong Cassidy or the Lone Ranger, but I can't remember what else was shown.

Did anyone go to the Star childrens matinees on Saturday mornings? I can still almost taste the ice lollies we used to get. I remember they had a competition one week for the most words any child could make from 'Constantinople' I came second.

There was always a serial which kept us coming back to see 'what happened next'. Always a cowboy film of course, Hopalong Cassidy or the Lone Ranger, but I can't remember what else was shown.

I remember standing outside waiting to go in, it was either 3d,6d for the circle or free in exchange for a jam jar. My mum was an usherette there for a while which was hard on me and my brother as we had to behave when she was on duty:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

I didn't remember about the jamjars, what a great idea.

I didn't remember about the jamjars, what a great idea.

It's surprising what a jam jar could get you 60yrs ago:thumbsup::thumbsup:

How sad that this thread seems to have stopped. I thought that i would try to bring it back to life again. I lived off the bottom of Clarence Street on the other side of the Co-op but I knew all the places mentioned. The Vine pub btw was situated on Hodgson Street near St. Silas school not near Lansdowne Road at all.

Grannypat