Anyone come from Lansdowne Rd area?

Oh that's a real shame re Franklin St.

I and my siblings all went to St Barnabas on Cecil Rd. It was a grim black building.

I have a photo just showing a little of it from the road.

I looked up Franklin St but most of the addresses are courts with just numbers. Give me a # and I will check. Did we all go to SHARROW LANE school ? I also see that the old SHARROW ST JOHNS church has been demolished. I was in the boy scouts there, the 139th. I am starting to feel very nostalgic. The milky bars are on me !

I and my ex hub were caretakers of Sharow St Johns. the condition inside was appalling. it was full of dry rot, the electrics were shot, and the walls were inch-thick polystyrene sheets, after the walls were moved in by a metre after the dry rot was found (and treated with... creosote!). The caretakers previous to us went through the choir vestry floor as the floorboards had rotted, and replaced with chipboard.

it is a real shame. A lovely building like that,let go to wrack and ruin!

Hi Minimo

If you google "Sharrow Residents 1961" (include the quote maks) you should find electoral lists for the area for 1961 - 1962, hosted by http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk site.

Unfortunately, 1961 is too late as all my family from the area had either died or moved away by then.

But I will have a look at the site you mentioned to see what else is there, thank you.

---------- Post added 15-08-2014 at 23:07 ----------

I and my ex hub were caretakers of Sharow St Johns. the condition inside was appalling. it was full of dry rot, the electrics were shot, and the walls were inch-thick polystyrene sheets, after the walls were moved in by a metre after the dry rot was found (and treated with... creosote!). The caretakers previous to us went through the choir vestry floor as the floorboards had rotted, and replaced with chipboard.

it is a real shame. A lovely building like that,let go to wrack and ruin!

This happens far too often and is a real shame. What years were you there PT?

Unfortunately, 1961 is too late as all my family from the area had either died or moved away by then.

But I will have a look at the site you mentioned to see what else is there, thank you.

---------- Post added 15-08-2014 at 23:07 ----------

This happens far too often and is a real shame. What years were you there PT?

1993-4, minimo, as caretaker, and, I was in Girls brigade and what have you there, in the mid 70s as a child. it was a dreadful shame that it fell apart with the neglect, but by the time it closed, in its centenary year there were less than ten congregants, and the minister and the organist, and the main sanctuary which had been opened in 1906 because the 1889 building could no longer hold the huge congregation had been condemned as unsafe (roof falling in, galloping damp and dry rot, really, really sad).

This is how bad the building had become:-

I got a zap from a light switch one Sunday morning as I was opening the church up for the service.

The calor-gas heaters had been on overnight ( the central heating had been ripped out as being too expensive) so, because of the bottled gas, there was a lot of moisture on the walls and switches.

I turned the lights on and it all went "BANG!" with a big blue flash, and I was knocked into the wall.

I screamed so loud, that Janet, the Organist, heard me scream over the playing of the organ, and she leaped out of the organ loft and dashed to me to see what was happening. I was scared but not as badly hurt as I could have been. (thank goodness!)

I have been challenged to start a thread for anyone who lived/lives in that area.

On another thread it seems to be that the 'Anyone from Grimesthorpe' thread has been allowed special privileges. I don't know if that is true, but I am hoping there might be some interest from ex or indeed present Lansdowners.

Anyone?

landsdown is occupied by a large population of Somalia's now

My first day at school was in Sharrow St Johns, should have been the school but it had been bombed and what became the seniors yard had a huge pile of rubble which we clambered over to use the toilets and then returned. This was 1941-42, I left Easter 1952.

Clambering over the rubble??

Can you imagine the uproar if todays kids had to do that!

Re, Climbing over rubble. I remember as a young boy in the late 50s playing on what we called "bomb buildings". One in particular was at the bottom of Lansdowne Rd across London Rd,and across from the Locarno.It had a small wire fence to keep people out (a kids invite if ever there was one). Strewn all over rubble were smooth wooden turned handles, the kind you would see on screwdrivers etc. My pals and I would split off in teams behind the piles of rubble and play :war: lobbing the handles and pretending they were hand grenades. On one occasion instead of a handle I threw A piece of brick. It hit my friend square on the forehead. Blood streaming down we rushed him home and at his door told him if his mom and dad asked what happened tell them nothing happened. Well of course they found out and came down to our house, Instead of hitting the roof and after a mild telling off ,they said to play somewhere else the next time. playtime was a bit different then . Which brings me to the question--- does anyone know what was on or around that site that made those handles.

I've just emailed my brother to ask him about them. Who knows he might even have been involved in your 'wars'

---------- Post added 16-08-2014 at 22:51 ----------

Heard from my brother. He thinks they were reject handles for files. There were also blunt penknives. This was in the area where you toward town from Lansdowne Rd. He doesn't know where they might have come from. I suppose a Kellys or similar for just before/during the war might give an answer.

Hi landsdowne, I lived there till 1959, at number 71 next door to mrs Green, I remember micheal green , also Brian porter who went to Australia he had a sister but cannot remember her name, also knew mrs robinson and her son bill who had the shop , was in touch with bill until maybe two years ago, but since not spoken , memories of sledges and bills bonfire outside the shop, Rose Elliott was a friend of mine, also the turner family number 79 I think not sure though, Pat Elaine and Joyce.

Happy memories ..

I went to Sharrow Lane School and there was a Michael Green in my class, he would be 77 now, I also new of a Rose Elliot but can't remember whether she went to Sharrow lane School as well.