Polish tradesmen - is it a myth?

Have you ever employed a polish trademan?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever employed a polish trademan?

• Yes
    • No

my partner was working on a site that had a few polish workers. he said they turned up with brand new tools and could not do the job they had been paid to do , one lad admitted to my partner he had watched his mate do some tiling and he had a go and hey presto he was a tiler !!!!! most of the ones who worked with him were not qualified but they were cheap so thats why they used them . my partner has a trade and he has to have the cards to go on site . its not fair these lads are allowed to do a substandard job mainly for the health and safety side of things. i have nothing against polish before any one says anything if they are fully qualified they are welcome as they are hard workers, but i wish they would stick to the jobs they are best at . :)

if you require any wall or floor tiling, get in touch I dont huff / puff I enjoy my work Ive got referrees & I am very competative in my pricing

I want to renovate my house - I have various jobs from building, hanging doors to decorating and I'm finding local tradesman lack...ummm, what can I say - enthusiasm? They don't return phonecalls or follow up visits with actual quotes. I'm not looking for work done on the cheap (though I do have a strict budget), I just want someone who WANTS the work and doesn't act like they're doing me a massive favour - I swear, the next joiner who looks at my house and sucks air through his front teeth then tuts is being shown the door! I'm beginning to think tradesman these days are like Kate Moss - they won't get out of bed for less than 10 grand. I'm know I'm being unfair to a lot of great craftsmen - perhaps I've just had bad luck....I'm fairly new to the city so I can't work on recommendations.

Perhaps what I need rather than a Polish tradesman is assertiveness training!

It appears people are a bit thin on the ground in Sheffield.

I probably am too far away to make it worth while

http://www.caldergeneralservices.co.uk

my partner was working on a site that had a few polish workers. he said they turned up with brand new tools and could not do the job they had been paid to do , one lad admitted to my partner he had watched his mate do some tiling and he had a go and hey presto he was a tiler !!!!! most of the ones who worked with him were not qualified but they were cheap so thats why they used them . my partner has a trade and he has to have the cards to go on site . its not fair these lads are allowed to do a substandard job mainly for the health and safety side of things. i have nothing against polish before any one says anything if they are fully qualified they are welcome as they are hard workers, but i wish they would stick to the jobs they are best at . :)

My point exactly.

I can kick a ball but I cant play for wednesday. If you want cheap then you get what you deserve when it comes to the building trade. most of the time it ends up costing you twice in the long run to correct everything.

take the huffing and puffing as a sighn that the job is going to cost but because of the scale of work involved to do it right and stop penny pinching

i retrained to be a plumber and couldnt get work of any description (i was told there was 300 polish plumbers in sheffield alone), and this is someone who works hard, willing to learn more and is respectful to people.. maybe the fact that i would phone people back and turn up on time has made me un-employable!

office work limbo awaits.

i retrained to be a plumber and couldnt get work of any description (i was told there was 300 polish plumbers in sheffield alone), and this is someone who works hard, willing to learn more and is respectful to people.. maybe the fact that i would phone people back and turn up on time has made me un-employable!

office work limbo awaits.

You have my full sympathies in your difficulties to find work, MTheo -I know how it feels to have qualified as a Forklift driver last JULY, and I have been barely able to get ONE WEEK'S work in FLT since, or anywhere else for that matter, except for a few pathetic days here and there in assembling office furniture, clerical work, etc...- And for someone like me, who has a BA AND an MA Degree...!

Since last July I have applied for HUNDREDS of jobs, and in spite of several interviews happening, still NOTHING. Went to another one about a FLT job in Attercliffe today, but there seemed to be dozens being interviewed for the same one job!:suspect:

I'm looking for the mythical Polish builder - does such a thing exist in Sheffield?

Hi. I'm one of them. I live in Sheffield. I work with my team (5 people). We do wery good job. If You need enything just get in touch with me