I phone 5s screen repair

Hi sorry if this is in the wrong place, my day is going from bad to worse, I have only just got this phone and don't ask me how but I have cracked the screen straight across!

Should I stop using it as it could make it worse and does anyone know anywhere that repair screens !

Thanks Fi

is it new? can ylou take it to apple and try and get it under warranty rpaor? If you use the search engine you will get lots of suggested repair shops. But id do it under warranty first if its new.

The glass piece on it's own is about a tenner, plus whatever they charge you to do the job.

If it's the digitiser bit then that part is about 30 quid, plus labour.

Just been to timpson they want £129 ! I was told by O2 that even though it's 2 weeks old if I have not paid insurance then I'm not covered! Boo

£129?! Would cost less to get a new unit from the Apple shop when out of warranty!

The glass piece on it's own is about a tenner, plus whatever they charge you to do the job.

If it's the digitiser bit then that part is about 30 quid, plus labour.

On the 5s the digitiser is built into the LCD. The glass is then bonded to the LCD. While it might be possible to separate the glass (not an easy job at all) from the LCD, the labour costs for the time involved would probably be more than the cost of replacing the complete LCD / glass unit.

Just been to timpson they want £129 ! I was told by O2 that even though it's 2 weeks old if I have not paid insurance then I'm not covered! Boo

Bring it to the Apple shop not your provider, providers will always go through the insurance route rather than warranty (there's money to be made there). They may replace it. Smashed glass from dropping it is not covered under warranty, but have heard of plenty of cases of people getting them replaced for free. Tell them it just cracked in your pocket, if it's a single clean crack this may be plausible and covered under warranty as could be a manufacturing fault. Argue the point with them that it just cracked and it wasn't something you've done.

Edited by steroc

Try and do it yourself, there are hundreds of guides online. It's perfectly fine to carry on using you won't make it worse unless you drop it again.

Try and do it yourself, there are hundreds of guides online. It's perfectly fine to carry on using you won't make it worse unless you drop it again.

The only problem with this is that it will void your warranty and as it's a new phone may not be worth the risk. Even having it repaired by a 3rd party repair centre could void your warranty if it's not an Apple approved repair centre and/or not repaired using genuine Apple parts (and that can include going through an insurance company). If the Apple store won't replace it under warranty you always get it insured then wait a few weeks then claim off the insurance saying it's just happened (oops, did I just say that out loud). Be warned though most insurance companies charge a hefty excess on newer model iPhones which may not be far of the cost of getting it replaced by Apple with no risk of warranty voiding issues.

£129 is a joke!!

The entire setup for separating LCD screens is £150 to buy, in the kit you get the clamps, heatplate, cleaning chemicals, bonding adhesive and cutting wire to do the job.

The labour involved is about an hour tops. Yes this will void the warranty, but apple don't cover broken screens/digitizers in their warranty and will charge double what you've already been quoted.

We do the iPhone 5s screens, bring it down and let us take a look a full screen replacement is £80 on that phone. Our details are on http://www.compact-support.co.uk and we are in chesterfield just at the other side of the Dronfield bypass.