New South Indian/Sri Lankan restaurant on Cumberland Street

I passed through The Moor on the way from work today. There appears to be another South Indian/Sri Lankan place opening in Sheffield. This is the most central of locations, with others on Abbeydale Road and another one in Crookes. From the sign I think it's called "Sai Nivas" and is opening in the next few days.

It's on the premises of the former El Paso site on Cumberland St (El Paso of course shifted next door to where the Moorfoot Tavern used to be).

Will be sure to check this one out. The small selection of South Indian eateries in the city have been decent.

Stonecircle! You are absolutely right. Last year I was there. I visited the Maveli Restaurant. It was a very nice experience. Their south Indian food was delicious. Fish molee and kappa had beautiful flavors. I have to say both the staff and food were awesome.

Stonecircle! You are absolutely right. Last year I was there. I visited the Maveli Restaurant. It was a very nice experience. Their south Indian food was delicious. Fish molee and kappa had beautiful flavors. I have to say both the staff and food were awesome.

Madeline, I fancy myself as a bit of a curry cook, so would like to know more about South Indian food - what are the characteristics? best recipes? :)

Went to Sainivas for lunch last week. Tasty food, friendly service. Looking forward to going back for full evening menu.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

The Darbaar in Hillsborough, which received many favourable notices on here, is no more: due to be "replaced" in a couple of weeks by The Spice Story. Ads in window for new chef and staff; so anything could happen.....

Went to Sainivas for lunch last week. Tasty food, friendly service. Looking forward to going back for full evening menu.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Hi Parapou, do they have a drinks licence?

Tried Urban Choola last night for the first time, we were both very impressed with the quality of the food and how pleasant the waiters were, will give it another try very soon shame it aint licenced though.

Madeline, I fancy myself as a bit of a curry cook, so would like to know more about South Indian food - what are the characteristics? best recipes? :)

Important thing to understand is that "South India" is actually 4 states each with its own language, culture and food ! each state has its own different style of food. Food from Kerala has a lot of coconut in it. Its a long coastal state and coconut is available abundantly - so it figures in almost every dish ! The oil used for cooking is coconut oil - which a lot of people from other places in India dislike. Food from Andhra Pradesh is typically very spicy. Even fellow Indians find it too spicy for their taste :loopy:

What I've found here is that "Indian" restaurants generally serve a mish-mash of South Indian/North Indian/Srilankan food !

Here is how a traditional Kerala "sadya" (feast/meal) looks like !

http://bit.ly/kerala-sadya :love:

not strictly recipes from Kerala, but this is a good site for recipes - http://www.mariasmenu.com

enjoy :)

Edited by vibez_well
corrected url

Hi Parapou, do they have a drinks licence?

They said in the process of obtaining one. Had just a basic selection of fruit juice and cans of Coke etc. I'm not sure if they are allowing bring your own.

Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/sainivassheffield

And just found website too: http://sainivasrestaurant.co.uk/index.html

The prices on the menu look very reasonable! I look forward to trying this place soon. In the meantime, Maveli is still the #1 for me, although I had a very good meal at Arusuvai the other night.

Been twice to Sai nivas already. Nice spicy curries very small portions, tea served from tiny metal cups..they microwave the tea...never again thanks.