Unemployment down again

But the figures don't mention anything about 'full employment', just 'employment' which can mean anything, including 0 hour contracts, part time etc, and those trying to go self-employed but not earning anything.

Same as unemployment figures don't include the constantly rotating unemployed million on sanctions at any one time, or the army of unemployed over 50s who don't necessarily qualify for benefits,

But it does mention the record 31 million who are actually in work. There have been part time jobs and zero hour contracts for years. They have always been part of the figures but it doesn't explain away the record number of people who are in work or the fact that many on zero hours or part time actually want to be that way because it suits them.

Ownership is an investment. The more you spend on it, the more it's worth. If you pay off your mortgage before you retire, you will have less outgoings. You can pass on your home to your children, or the value of it at least. There's no restrictions on what you can do to your house (within reason), pets etc. You can use the value of your house as security for releasing equity.

All perhaps true, but none of it makes it a requirement for raising a family though..

We've been advertising for an apprentice for a couple of weeks now (IIRC). Office duties/audio-typist, with further prospects to train and obtain professional qualifications, either in our 'game' (intellectual property) or in e.g. accounting.

We've been advised to offer more than the going rate to get "quality" applicants (logical/commonsensical enough), which translates as £6.something per hour (IIRC). So, not quite NMW, but not far off. That's for 4 days-on (full-time), 1-day college release, permanent contract.

Last I heard (Monday), there have been 3 applications, when we extended the deadline to fall after the GCSE/A-level results are handed out. They're not exactly battering the door down.

We've had apprentices but end up letting many of them go because they don't turn up on time or often turn up drunk from the night before.

All perhaps true, but none of it makes it a requirement for raising a family though..

What's your point?

*sigh*

Post 34.

"if you're looking to buy a home and raise a family"

I don't see why the two have to be considered as one.

Mind you I don't see why you are making such a meal of answering a simple question either but that's nothing new.

As long as they put more money into the purse than they are taking out, it doesn't matter. And that's exactly what they are doing.

It would seem so. We seem to be the only economy in Europe that is booming.

*sigh*

Post 34.

"if you're looking to buy a home and raise a family"

I don't see why the two have to be considered as one.

Mind you I don't see why you are making such a meal of answering a simple question either but that's nothing new.

Sorry. My mistake. I didn't even realise I'd mentioned raising a family. I was referring to buying a home. Mortgage lenders wouldn't accept a zero hours contract as suitable income an you'd be declined.

I'm not making a meal of anything. No need to go off on one!:roll:

Even the economists can't understand what's going on according to tonight's 'Newsnight.'

I would love to have seen that one …. Someone being honest for a change.

I heard this was more the case. When the story broke the media found it hard to find anyone who was gong to complain about their zero hours contracts as they suited most people who had them. Remember a zero hour contract does not mean you get no hours per week, it just means your hours can go up and down as required. Not many employers are going to keep someone on their books if they never offer them work. That's counter-intuitive.

---------- Post added 15-08-2014 at 14:43 ----------

I personally think that if you have more than £16,000 in the bank, why should they claim benefits? They have the funds to support yourself.

Some firms have far more people on their books than they actually need. Agencies certainly do - I don't know if these agency people count as employed or unemployed.

As for the £16,000 question, when you get to near retirement age hopefully you will have a bit saved up from a lifetime of work to supplement your old age pension. Spend it in your fifties and you will not have enough time to replace it, therfore he will have an impoverished old age.

---------- Post added 15-08-2014 at 18:42 ----------

I've got three families in the properties I rent out. Two of those started theri families off there and are not wanting to move. I never understood why people think they must own a house - I certainly never did and neither did my parents...

Yet now you own three, so owning property obviously hasn't done you any harm.

Ironically, it's sometimes cheaper to pay a mortgage than rent - and rent goes on for ever, and goes up. Owning your own home is also more secure than private renting.

But if you find yourself out of work, your rent gets paid for you. Whereas if you don't have the money to pay your mortgage....

But if you find yourself out of work, your rent gets paid for you. Whereas if you don't have the money to pay your mortgage....

What happens if your landlord doesn't hve the money to pay the mortgage?

Yet now you own three, so owning property obviously hasn't done you any harm.

Which is an irrelevancy really. I actually own considerably more than three.

Ironically, it's sometimes cheaper to pay a mortgage than rent - and rent goes on for ever, and goes up. Owning your own home is also more secure than private renting.

And I still don't see why it's a prerequisite for starting a family... but there you go. Britain has this strange obsession with owning houses to live in - fine if you never intend to move jobs more than 20 miles from where you own the house I guess.