Blades Best Manager?

You also had your share of HOOFBALL in recent years but, moving the goal posts once again you lot on here had another name for it.

In your league one seasons there were more Giraffes on your team than at the local zoo :hihi::hihi:

P.S. You had one good season

Mainly under Megson, not under Jones and you had almost 20yrs of it with successive managers.

John Harris probably put the best footballing side together I can remeber, but for me the most fun was under Harry Bassett.

Always enjoyed upsetting the big boys, and we were good at it.

The same two that i would go for, Bassett was by far the most easily approachable manager that I have ever known.

From an Owls perspective I would agree with Bassett, awful football to watch but got average players performing at way above their ability, the promotions and seasons in the top flight bare testimony to this, Warnock was similar but didn't quite have the same level of success.

For us it would have to be Big Ron, his appointment and style of play and signings were a game changer at S6.

Its very hard for me to disagree with you,cos the atkinson era was fantastic.But considering the mess we were in, im gunna have to go for big jack,we were as low as we had ever been [never plummeted to uniteds depths obviously:hihi:]and he came in and rescued us,without big jack i dont think we would have ever seen the atkinson era.

John Harris probably put the best footballing side together I can remeber, but for me the most fun was under Harry Bassett.

Always enjoyed upsetting the big boys, and we were good at it.

nice one firemansam my thoughts exactly:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice one firemansam my thoughts exactly:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I take it you and sam are best of mates?? :hihi:

Guest sibon

I think that Danny Wilson was my favourite.

Managing the Blades, not the Owls.

Obviously:)

Mainly under Megson, not under Jones and you had almost 20yrs of it with successive managers.

I would say the worst culprit was Wilkinson. in those days they used to say about Wednesday v Taylor's Watford the ball would be bruised and battered when it eventually came down to the ground that is.

Going back to United I would say John Harris gave us the best footballing team however Ken Furphy had one great season when he tinkered with that team and Brought in Keith Eddy amongst others where he played a Beckenbaueresque role in that great run of games that came to an end at Highbury on Easter Monday

I would say the worst culprit was Wilkinson. in those days they used to say about Wednesday v Taylor's Watford the ball would be bruised and battered when it eventually came down to the ground that is.

Lol, it got us promotion though. Get the ball into 'the area of maximum opportunity' as quickly as possible. I think that was straight out of the Charles Hughes coaching manual. It worked for Wilkinson for a time because he had two strikers in Varadi and Bannister that could exploit it.

Lol, it got us promotion though. Get the ball into 'the area of maximum opportunity' as quickly as possible. I think that was straight out of the Charles Hughes coaching manual. It worked for Wilkinson for a time because he had two strikers in Varadi and Bannister that could exploit it.

It was indeed the Charles Hughes version of the footballing string theory also worked for Graham Taylor's Watford with Barnes & Blissett in fact I think they also won a league cup

I could not resist replying to this thread, one winner only John Harris he gave United THE best footballing side in my lifetime. As Rossy says Bassett was very approachable, I once saw him at American Adventure when we'd come up from 2nd division, I asked how he thought we'd go on.

He said happy for stability, I told him we'd go straight up & we did, okay the football was not of the purists but certainly exciting, and all you that keep slagging United for it, how many PL titles have Chelsea won with it.

Don't just open gobs, say constructive things, Chelsea are the best exponents of kick and run.

Night night

I take it you and sam are best of mates?? :hihi:

Nope!

Not as far as I know.

We must both simply have good taste :):)

I would imagine that the managers job is far more difficult these days but Jon Nicholson was manager from 1899 to 1932 (he was still manager when he passed away) should still be in with a shout. He was manager for most of the following:-

Quote - Undoubtedly United's heyday was the 30-year period from 1895–1925, when they were champions of England in 1897–98 and runners up in 1896–97 and 1899–1900, and FA Cup winners in 1899, 1902, 1915 and 1925, finishing runners up in 1901.