Best taxi company

Excel are a reliable taxi company.

Didn't turn up for me today (after booking) had to go with City.

I frequently use between City and Mercury.

Ash,

You just keep talking round in circles.

If you ring me up and say "Hey cgk, will you give me a lift at 7 in the the morning, and I say yes then you will expect me to be there.

However, despite of my promise I decide to nip over to Chesterfield at 6:45 for some organic satsumas from the market ... and you have the temerity not to buy me a pint when I see you in the pub that night.

Cobblers. There. I've said it again.

City, Mercury etc. take the advance booking over the phone but do not operate a system that can guarantee that the job will be taken by a driver to arrive at the time booked.

In fact, calling the night before gives you no priority. You might just as well call an hour before you need it.

Ash,

If you ring me up and say "Hey cgk, will you give me a lift at 7 in the the morning, and I say yes then you will expect me to be there.

However, despite of my promise I decide to nip over to Chesterfield at 6:45 for some organic satsumas from the market ... and you have the temerity not to buy me a pint when I see you in the pub that night.

City, Mercury etc. take the advance booking over the phone but do not operate a system that can guarantee that the job will be taken by a driver to arrive at the time booked.

In fact, calling the night before gives you no priority. You might just as well call an hour before you need it.

I'm sure you're determined to argue me down, but I won't go away :)

Ash,

If I owe you a pint and have forgotten, and this is the way you want to get, then I'll happily just buy you a pint, and the debt is over :hihi:

And I'll say again, you can say it, but it doesn't mean you are right.

Who has ever said this? Not me.

If someone pushes me on a call about guarantees, I say it straight - I will say that the best I can offer is that we will endeavour to uphold our verbal contractual agreement. For all my skills, I cannot predict the future otherwise I would change profession. And I have to trust that our despatchers will do their job, and that I've advised them as best I can. If someone sounds unsure, I ask them how important their appointment is - if they say it's for a job interview or a single train that they simply cannot miss, I generally squeeze a few more minutes out of them on the booking time, advising them that it's better to be early than pushing it, or at worst - late.

If despatchers fail on a regular basis then they won't have a job for long. (it's also why they are sought after) - me probably being a good example, as I am the best at it in Sheffield. (other companies may argue and I'll challenge anyone, as I'm very confident in my ability).

Cobblers.

Station bookings are prioritised in the auto-pilot, I should know, I set the parameters up in the equipment that I use. Same with hospital appointments, and there is a manual override for telephonists to use for other examples, like exams etc.

Mercury. Never had a problem, and always there within 15 minutes

I always used City with no problems, but after yesterday I'm not sure it isn't time for a change. I rang from Morrisons at Hillsborough at approx 2.15 and it was 5pm when I got home. And not in a City car, I had to get a black cab from the rank there. City repeatedly told me my car was booked but I never seemed to get to the top of the list. I appreciate it was a dreadfully wet afternoon, but Mercury and Excel cars were coming to pick up their passengers.

I think I might give Excel a go.

Mercury or Network both reliable when I have used them.

Do Mercury charge more than City?

I got a taxi today from a pickup point I use frequently. The fare was almost a £ more than City charge for the exact same route.

I found they do. That said, City's fare also fluctuates for the same route.

Excel are always cheaper then City by a couple of pound

Very unreliable when I've used them though.

Well I will see, as they are next on my list to try.