Anyone here cycle to Manchester (from Sheffield)

Just wondering if anyone has cycles to Manchester from Sheffield...

What route did you take and was it a mixture of road and off road? What sort of bike did you ride on?

Just wondering if anyone has cycles to Manchester from Sheffield...

What route did you take and was it a mixture of road and off road? What sort of bike did you ride on?

Done it quite a few times whilst working near Manchester airport.

Through Hathersage, Castleton, Chapel, Whaley Bridge, Pott Shrigley and drop down into Manchester. On a road bike, about 2 and quarter, 2 and half hours to get there. It's a hilly ride, and it's a long day with a day's work in the middle of it.

If you want to do the Snake (just the once) do it from Manc to Sheff.

It's 20% ascent and 80% decent going east.

For commuting over that distance in what could be nasty weather I would go for a hybrid with full mudguards and some continental gator skin tyres, possibly 28mm.

---------- Post added 19-08-2014 at 16:28 ----------

For a commute like this I would go for some hybrid with full mudguards and continental gator skin 28mm tyres.

Going through Castleton to get to Chapel means Winnats or Mam Tor, Both steep. You could get to Chapel via Peak Forest but it's a longer way round.

Check out the Tissington trails around there, you might find a better route for some of the journey.

Orangechoc! Are you going from the cycle? It’s a most thrilling but some tired able way. We don’t have any idea of the weather. So don’t forget to keep warm clothes, water, and some food.

There's a really nice cafe in Chapel on the main drag called 'in a pickle'.

I would also put lights on the bike.

Done it quite a few times whilst working near Manchester airport.

Through Hathersage, Castleton, Chapel, Whaley Bridge, Pott Shrigley and drop down into Manchester. On a road bike, about 2 and quarter, 2 and half hours to get there. It's a hilly ride, and it's a long day with a day's work in the middle of it.

I noticed you missed the bit "Winnats pass" off :gag:

---------- Post added 20-08-2014 at 18:46 ----------

Go direct on the A57 to Glossop, Motram and down the old road from there its the easiest hills not to demanding forget Chaple En Le Frith if your not a strong rider you will be walking up Winnats

Edited by Cycleracer

I noticed you missed the bit "Winnats pass" off :gag:

---------- Post added 20-08-2014 at 18:46 ----------

Go direct on the A57 to Glossop, Motram and down the old road from there its the easiest hills not to demanding forget Chaple En Le Frith if your not a strong rider you will be walking up Winnats

That's because I didnt go up Winnats, I went up the old Mam Tor road, much easier.

No way would I go via A57, Snake Pass is a horrible road on a bike, too many speeding cars and trucks. The roads via Chapel are much quieter.

Anyway, I guess it all depends which part of Manchester you are aiming for.