Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (part3)

Hi cat631 and johnpm - The chapel on Grimesthorpe Rd was run by the Fidler family who lived over near Burngreave as I recall, (not letting me open that johnpm). The shot showing the race cat631, on that part of Botham St, we called the 'flags', that's the houses showing the step-up frontage on the rightside. fleetwood

can anyone remember the temperance hall near to the chapel, you went through a gateway and the hall was up a wooden stairway at the rear of the courtyard, sometimes held dances for teens and kids but they had more adults watching for couples dancing too close than dancers,also my sister taught at the chapel sunday school

Can I put a photo on here without having to put it on Photobucket? If so how can I do it please? Copying it doesn't seem to work - tried it with photo of Grimesthorpe Rd chapel.

it;s come up on mine

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 11:03 ----------

Can I put a photo on here without having to put it on Photobucket? If so how can I do it please? Copying it doesn't seem to work - tried it with photo of Grimesthorpe Rd chapel.

it;s come up on mine

Hi cat631 and johnpm - The chapel on Grimesthorpe Rd was run by the Fidler family who lived over near Burngreave as I recall, (not letting me open that johnpm). The shot showing the race cat631, on that part of Botham St, we called the 'flags', that's the houses showing the step-up frontage on the rightside. fleetwood

Francis Butler used to run a Youth Club there which I used to go to, about 1964/65.

Francis Butler used to run a Youth Club there which I used to go to, about 1964/65.

Smashing bloke was Francis he lived at Chapletown sadly councilor Butler passed away a few years ago he kept racing pigeons all his life and did a lot for charity

Hemmingway's lived in the same yard as me, mother & father was Charlie & Pat, the kids names was John, Rodney, & Patricia. In the book that Alan Billam wrote is a photo of Patricia with my dog taken on Peter st. After school I sometimes helped in the shop.

I couldn't open John's photo but then found it on Picture Sheffield. I've stopped using Photo Bucket, instead use Imgur and find it much better. I will try doing what Voldy suggests for posting pics on the forum but does this only work with Picture Sheffield. Like John, I have tried to copy and paste without success.

Thanks for your comments on the Botham Street Photos and chapel.

I too attended the youth club that George mentions but a bit earlier, about 1961/62 and remember Francis very well, I still see his brother Roy occasionally. Roy tells a good tale about his Dad and his pigeons. When the Asians began moving into Grimesthorpe they would walk up to Cookies farm at the top of Wincobank Lane to buy chickens then stuff them head first into shopping bags with just their feet stuck out of the top, take them home and chase them around the back yard and do the deed themselves.

Johnny Butler saw an opportunity and sold them a few pigeons for the pot but the crafty little buggers were having none of it and given half a chance the old homing pigeons were up and away back to Butlers' loft.

Back to the chapel, I remember the Fiddler family mentioned by Fleetwood but not the Temperance Hall mentioned by Kinjuro. I think the youth club met in a hall to the rear of the chapel but like we keep saying to our grandkids. 'It was a long time ago'.

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 22:23 ----------

Just had a think about Kinjuros Temperance Hall. Was it further down the hill and through an archway? Seem to remember a dancing school there.

Edited by cat631

Copy (left click) on the Sheffieldpicture URL comes up blue) then (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) into your post like this; http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc01201&pos=3&action=zoom&id=102444; works for me John.

Thanks Voldy. Its worked :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc01201&pos=4&action=zoom&id=102444

Secret is to copy the url not the photo !

Botham Street Photo.

Yes it is the legendary Grimesthorpe character, Albert Parr. JeanJ who often posts on here thinks the lady on the left of the photo could be Lottie Shaw who at one time ran The Prince of Wales with her husband.

Jean lived in the last bay windowed house on the left of the picture. Can anyone put a name to the other lady next to Johnny Butler?

Just around the corner from the mosque on Petre Street is a Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witnesses. Grimesthorpe has become quite religious although I do wonder where the congregations come from as there are no houses in the area. When I took the photo there was no activity at the mosque and think it is not yet open or completed.

Looking down Grimesthorpe Road, about twenty five yards down the hill and on the right used to stand a chapel, does anyone have a photo of it please?

Hi cat do you have any more photos from Grimesthorpe you can post ? Have seen all picture Sheffield pics love them my uncle AWoollen used to post them but has not been on for a while (hint) the pics bring back great memories :help:

Ay up Steve , good to see back on the forum.Soon be time for another pint or two.

Anyway bact to the Botham St picture , I can always remember running up Botham St in one of the Jonny Butler sports day races.

Good days .

Jim.

---------- Post added 21-11-2017 at 19:12 ----------

As for the chapel ? on Grimesthorpe hill , i can remember Francis Butler running the Boys Guild from there , it was a bit like the Boys Brigade . Does anyone else remember it ?