Grimesthorpe Part 3

Was there a chirpy on the opposite side of the road I thought the Hodson was opposite the bottom of moss st and the coop store 

On 12/12/2020 at 17:16, gaz 786 said:

Butlers chippy if my memory serves me right but will stand corrected as not 100%sure 🤔Think the pub your on about was the Wellington? 

They were  Butlers on Botham St but the chippy up there was run by a Len Enzer I believe.

Just wanted to wish all you Grimesthorpians a Happy Christmas & hope that 2021 is a better year for all of us!

Keep safe !  John

37 minutes ago, johnpm said:

Just wanted to wish all you Grimesthorpians a Happy Christmas & hope that 2021 is a better year for all of us!

Keep safe !  John

All the best for the festive season John,

From a Shiregreener.

Lived at 2 winco road grimesthorpe near Jimmy child's yard anyone remember 1950/60 there

Would that be the row of houses leading up to the allotments, then on up towards Wincobank Hill ?

On 12/01/2021 at 10:41, geotom said:

Would that be the row of houses leading up to the allotments, then on up towards Wincobank Hill ?

HI George

Barry lived at the first house with the front facing the road 

On 11/01/2021 at 20:22, Bhomer said:

Lived at 2 winco road grimesthorpe near Jimmy child's yard anyone remember 1950/60 there

If I remember correctly it was Jimmy Childs who demolished the Grand Hotel in 1973 along with the famous Buccaneer pub.

I visited the yard to buy timber for our house which I was renovating at the time.

echo.

On 11/01/2021 at 20:22, Bhomer said:

On 11/12/2020 at 09:55, St Petre said:

The Hodson pub was at the corner of Draper Street and Carlisle Road.

stpetre

• 2,305 posts
  • Joined Dec 2014
  •         Well it's almost Grimestorpe.!!!!
  •  

Yes they did, I worked there as a delivery lad 1961-62 at Gowers & Burgons-Lyons Street/Petre Street in Pitsmoor.

I've just found this on the Gower & Burgon site. 

Guess what , I did that there for two years and left in August / 60. Did you still have a van for the Friday deliveries. I used to have about twenty five orders and made more in tips that night than I got for the full week. The divers name was Len I think. 

Edited by beezerboy

17 hours ago, beezerboy said:

stpetre

• 2,305 posts
  • Joined Dec 2014
  •         Well it's almost Grimestorpe.!!!!
  •  

Yes they did, I worked there as a delivery lad 1961-62 at Gowers & Burgons-Lyons Street/Petre Street in Pitsmoor.

I've just found this on the Gower & Burgon site. 

Guess what , I did that there for two years and left in August / 60. Did you still have a van for the Friday deliveries. I used to have about twenty five orders and made more in tips that night than I got for the full week. The divers name was Len I think. 

They had a delivery van on Thursdays and Fridays, one of the drivers was called Ronnie. We used to make deliveries to Grimesthorpe too, Margate Drive. Hunsley Street and Botham Street if I recall.

Edited by St Petre

5 hours ago, St Petre said:

One drop off was to a family called Richards at Margate St & Grimesthorpe Rd,  that was always a interesting event

18 hours ago, beezerboy said:

One drop off was to a family called Richards at Margate St & Grimesthorpe Rd,  that was always a interesting event

Yes, I recall that family (very pretty daughter), once when making a delivery I knocked on the door and after hearing 'Come in' I entered and the mother was in the tin bath tub which made me freeze still for a few seconds, 'The money's on the table' uttered the unperturbed lady.