Grimesthorpe Part 3

On 30/03/2015 at 09:01, johnpm said:

It was Grimesthorpe Rd Primitive Methodist Church opened in 1930's closed about 1967. I went there once or twice for sunday school anniversaries I think while I was at Reform Chapel.

Grimesthorpe Road Methodist Church closed about 1971. I went to the final service there. I was married there in 1967, and my son was christened there in late 1968.  The final service was in1971, I think,  which I went to......my son was about 3 then. I had been a Sunday School teacher there, and Sunday School Queen.

Hi everyone hope you’re all doing well keep safe and sound stay home god bless the N H S 

On 26/03/2020 at 21:35, Bygum said:

Hi everyone hope you’re all doing well keep safe and sound stay home god bless the N H S 

Well said,Bygum,same too you.

Hi People 

I used to live on Carlisle Rd opp the Old Nile Café near post office does anybody remember this?

I went too Grimesthorpe School and remember a teacher that used to reward classes with sweets 

My family also went into Grimesthorpe  Club opp what we call the Doctor Who box ?

They were the good old days long gone now so sad.

On 23/05/2020 at 14:29, bobbymalton said:

Hi People 

I used to live on Carlisle Rd opp the Old Nile Café near post office does anybody remember this?

I went too Grimesthorpe School and remember a teacher that used to reward classes with sweets 

My family also went into Grimesthorpe  Club opp what we call the Doctor Who box ?

They were the good old days long gone now so sad.

Hi Bobby,I remember all that,I live on cyclops st.

On 17/06/2020 at 15:17, gaz 786 said:

Never knew what happened to the police box near school one day it was there then its gone? Don't think it's doctor who either 🤔

On 17/06/2020 at 15:17, gaz 786 said:

Never knew what happened to the police box near school one day it was there then its gone? Don't think it's doctor who either 🤔

Not been on here for ages, where has everyone gone

Its now 44 years since I left Sheffield . Covid has  meant I have not visited since last September but am still in touch with a number of Grimesthorpians. So sad to see all the problems at Fir Vale & feel so sorry for the friends I have who live in that area & have to put up with such behaviour.  I will have to come soon as we are nearly out of Hendersons Relish. I have to keep both us & our 2 children & adult grandaughter supplied with it so bring back 12 bottles each visit !!

I really hope my old church  Reform Chapel  opens up again  after Covid as so many of us had such great times there in BB , Sunday School etc & it did such great work in the community. There are only  a  small number of attenders though now many of whom travel quite a distance to get there.

Best wishes to all my Grimesthorpian friends !

1 hour ago, gaz 786 said:

Everyone went to reform Chapel or Grimesthorpe boys club at some time in the 70's sadly boys clubs gone now I am not sure if it changed to Grimesthorpe youth club and allowed girls in later in life? 

Wasn't the Boys Club at the Methodist church, and run by Francis?  ...if so, they were both going on at the same period of time....the youth club, and the boys club.

Edited by Cornish cream
Adding more

On 09/07/2020 at 12:34, gaz 786 said:

Francis Butler did run a club on Grimesthorpe Road;Butlers did a lot for charity including organising the Grimesthorpe feast! 

Yes, Francis belonged to the Methodist Church for a good many years. I wasn't sure if the first post about the boys club, meant the one at the Methodist Church, or not. His Dad Johnny had pigeons across the road.  The youth club did have girls as well. I was on the committee, as was Francis.

Edited by Cornish cream

Those pigeons tasted OK ,

Until a Brillo pad fell into the pot, smelled funny also !

Ayup we were posh !, Brillo pads were pink, so there's the proof ! 😝

We could even afford Frozen orange juice in small milk bottles, they were difficult to suck, required a long tongue, the expanded frozen bit that pushed the top off was easy, the  frozen Jubbly orange drinks from Oldfields were a lot easier to suck.

Lots of tin garages along with the Pigeon Coit's, you could shimmy up between them and stand on the top !