Grimesthorpe Part 3

I too lived on the prefabs but higher up the hill.  I remember a sweet shop nearer the garages opposite weslyan reform chapel and a paper shop at the other end. Sadly in the 1950s it was illegal to buy birthday cards on Sundays and you had to buy a newspaper and hide the card inside! Happy days.

Does Anyone know anything about Norma Allen’s brother 

Come to think of it , does anybody know about Norma , i knew her and her sister well , cant remember much about her brother but think he had a scooter, i lived in the same yard .

Jim.

On 20/01/2020 at 13:12, Wensley1 said:

I too lived on the prefabs but higher up the hill.  I remember a sweet shop nearer the garages opposite weslyan reform chapel and a paper shop at the other end. Sadly in the 1950s it was illegal to buy birthday cards on Sundays and you had to buy a newspaper and hide the card inside! Happy days.

So did you live on Margate Drive?

On 19/01/2020 at 15:29, Cornish cream said:

Hello everybody.  I am one of the people mentioned above. (VH). I lived on the prefabs.  I used the steps at the bottom of Margate Drive to go to Owler Lane Intos School every day. I belonged to the youth club at Grimesthorpe Methodist Church, was on the committee, and was a Sunday School teacher, and Sunday School Queen. Brian Duty was the person who died, he was about 19, I think. He lived just a few doors from me, and died an awful death. John Downward lived on Grimesthorpe Road, not far from the bottom of Margate Drive. -. he married Valerie Duffield, who lived on the prefabs. I used to be on here as Cornish Rose, but I forgot my password..!

I went to school (All Saints) with the younger Duffield sister, Janice, their mother was the cashier at the Coliseum pictures on Spital Hill.

Jim what makes you think he had a scooter 

He had a push bike in the early sixties for work 

Hi Bowls . as a lad i can remember a Red and White Lambretta scooter being parked at the top of the yard outside Mrs Allens  . dont think it belonged to one of the girls , maybe a boyfriend.

Jim.

Hi Bowls , i never knew about Normas brother , must have been older than me , do you know the Allens well.I lived on Cyclops St from about 1963 till houses knocked down.

Jim.

Hi Jimmy I know them from number 32 but I still don’t know who had a scooter I don’t think lynne and Norma had one could it have been the lad that lived next door to them they had two girls as well I think didn’t lynne marry roger Spick 

Well looks like the scooter is a mystery, i lived in number 27 and the Allens lived in number 33 . I remember Lynne had a regular boyfrend but dont remember his name . Are you from Cyclops St. Small world.

Jim.

Jimmy do you remember mrs Austin and Austin her grandson