Grimesthorpe Part 3

On 26/10/2019 at 12:25, S4 8GG said:

Hi does anyone remember the massive fire at Firth browns

one summer we had been to skegg it must have been the works weeks and when we got back Carlisle st was closed off  and firth browns was destroyed 

I remember that happening.Both my parents at the time worked there,it was the first day of the works holiday and we had been taken to Cleethorpes for a couple of weeks,we didnt find out for a while till my dad bought a newspaper.I'm sure a guy who was living on Botham street raised the alarm,think he was a railway worker on his way to work or coming home,might have been 1968 or 69.

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 07:25, S4 8GG said:

Hi does anyone remember the massive fire at Firth browns

one summer we had been to skegg it must have been the works weeks and when we got back Carlisle st was closed off  and firth browns was destroyed 

Perhaps Firth- Brown's wasn't totally destroyed but there was some serious damage to their premises on Carlisle Street East between Newhall Road and Garter Street, the part opposite the Alex I think.

11 hours ago, Jean J said:

Hi all   I lived in Botham Street in the  forties & fifties  the Walshshaws  was 2 girls & 2 boys the other girl was called Barbara. I remember the Butlers  Johnny the father use to organise street games  after the Grimesthorpe Feast Walk

This is not the Butler family I've been referring to.  The Butler family I am related to lived on Crown Hill.  I don't think that was the real name, just called that because of the pub.There was Mum Pat Wilson (nee) Dudley, she was divorced from Eddie Butler, who she had 2 children with, my cousins Stuart and Angela (Angie).  She was by then married to Roland Wilson.  This must have been around the end of the 60's

Hi st Petre

What year do you think it was ,would it have been in the late 60s?

8 hours ago, jane2008 said:

This is not the Butler family I've been referring to.  The Butler family I am related to lived on Crown Hill.  I don't think that was the real name, just called that because of the pub.There was Mum Pat Wilson (nee) Dudley, she was divorced from Eddie Butler, who she had 2 children with, my cousins Stuart and Angela (Angie).  She was by then married to Roland Wilson.  This must have been around the end of the 60's

Jane,as mentioned earlier in this thread,there were loads of Butlers scattered around Grimesthorpe ,but i'm sure they wer'nt all related to each other.Your right ,it was referred to as Crown Hill.I remember Pat getting married to Roland,and after that he decided to park his car in our yard,that put a bit of a dampner on our cricket and football games.Angela and my sister were always doing there skipping thing !! one day they rigged a swing up and within a few minutes my sister fell off and broke her arm.

I was at school with  Pat Dudley she was in the same year as me, as I remember she was a slight blond girl, her dad was a tall chap. I left Botham Street in 1960. 

On 28/10/2019 at 23:51, Bygum said:

Hi bothamlad I know the butlers house was the first on the left hand side of cyclops st Ann the first yard on the right hand side going down botham st there was one window on cyclops st and the first house was a mrs Callum wallshars was the third house 3boys Tony Derrick I don’t know the youngest one and I think one girl called Vicky 

Bothamlad,the family name was Walshaw,there was Barbara,Tony,Derek,Vicky who passed away 3/4 years ago and the youngest Kevin.

12 minutes ago, Jean J said:

I was at school with  Pat Dudley she was in the same year as me, as I remember she was a slight blond girl, her dad was a tall chap. I left Botham Street in 1960. 

Hi Jean hope your well,last time i saw Pat she was in a wheelchair but that was a few years ago now.

On 24/10/2019 at 23:00, jane2008 said:

Sorry. no I don't .  I remember as a child going to my Aunty Pat  and Uncle Rolands.   You won't have any reason to remember me.

My Dad Mick Dudley lived, I think next door to them.  My Nannan and Grandad May and Bill Dudley also lived there.

Remember your dad Jane didn't he work on the buses,not seen your Aunt Pat for a long time.I lived on Hunsley St so knew family.

On 01/07/2019 at 17:01, gaz 786 said:

Take it your off Botham St mate my mate Tony Pinder lived in there remember loads from Hunsley St though cornthwaite Cross Bailey old field nice reminiscing happy memories... 

I lived on Hunsley St,not been on here for ages think i may have to return.Know Tony Pinder  and the rest of those names.My maiden name was Hepplestone and lived a 42.

17 hours ago, S4 8GG said:

Hi st Petre

What year do you think it was ,would it have been in the late 60s?

Definitely not late 60s i stood on the hill that was the brick yard must have been early 60s.

I was born in 62,so i must have been very young but i remember it.its amazing what you remember.

We pinders lived at 34 botham st ,the steps to our yard were at the top of hunsley st,on the right going up.