Grimesthorpe Part 3

17 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

Yes Francis Butler was a political character and usually got his own way definitely the same family 

Thanks for that I really had no idea.  Angie got married today

8 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

Yes Francis Butler was a political character and usually got his own way definitely the same family 

All those years living in the same yard as the butler family,Francis Butler's name was never mentioned.I went to the boys club,in the small chapel on grimesthorpe road for a couple of years they had a football team,remember we played in all white kit, which Francis Butler ran,i have to say i didnt like him much.

Edited by bothamlad
change

The club run by Francis Butler in that old chapel on Grimesthorpe hill was called the BOYS GUILD   and we had blue shirts with some embroidery on the pocket , cant remember if i had a shirt and dont think it ran for long.

Jim

Hi I was just reading this forum on grimethorpe and saw my name 

I'm Tony pinder how are all 

you old people. 

I lived on botham street from 1962 

Till I think 72 I loved it and i wish I could go back

Summers were always red hot 

and winters were always 6foot of snow 

Bloody miss it 

Now ive got grand kids and they are always on about global warming they should have lived next to firth Brown's for a few years 

Polution I'll show you bloody polution

It was fantastic.

Miss you all 

Every bloody one of you x

Hi does anyone remember the massive fire at Firth browns

one summer we had been to skegg it must have been the works weeks and when we got back Carlisle st was closed off  and firth browns was destroyed 

2 hours ago, jad279 said:

The club run by Francis Butler in that old chapel on Grimesthorpe hill was called the BOYS GUILD   and we had blue shirts with some embroidery on the pocket , cant remember if i had a shirt and dont think it ran for long.

Jim

yeah.i remember the blue shirts.i certainly remember the british bull dog in the main hall,some physical stuff went on in that game,loved it !! didnt like playing footie in the all white kit though,too much like leeds.think it might have only ran for a couple of years if that.

Bothamlad did you live in the same yard as the Welshshaws I didn’t think Francis butler played football I played with Jonny and Roy on the fields were Whiteways school is now we had some great times playing on their 

13 hours ago, Bygum said:

Bothamlad did you live in the same yard as the Welshshaws I didn’t think Francis butler played football I played with Jonny and Roy on the fields were Whiteways school is now we had some great times playing on their 

Hi there B.G. sorry ive never heard of the Welshaws.Francis Butler just ran the Boys Guild,it was a junior football team.

Hi bothamlad I know the butlers house was the first on the left hand side of cyclops st Ann the first yard on the right hand side going down botham st there was one window on cyclops st and the first house was a mrs Callum wallshars was the third house 3boys Tony Derrick I don’t know the youngest one and I think one girl called Vicky 

10 hours ago, Bygum said:

Hi bothamlad I know the butlers house was the first on the left hand side of cyclops st Ann the first yard on the right hand side going down botham st there was one window on cyclops st and the first house was a mrs Callum wallshars was the third house 3boys Tony Derrick I don’t know the youngest one and I think one girl called Vicky 

I lived at the bottom of Botham street,first house.Different Butler family shared our yard.

Hi all   I lived in Botham Street in the  forties & fifties  the Walshshaws  was 2 girls & 2 boys the other girl was called Barbara. I remember the Butlers  Johnny the father use to organise street games  after the Grimesthorpe Feast Walk

Hi I don't know about two girls but I've just remembered the third 

lads name was Kevin Tony was a bricklayer