Grimesthorpe Part 3

St.Petre is pointing out that its Newhall rd not Newman road,referred to in the picture of the Alexander Hotel.Newman road is in Wincobank.Certainly takes you back seeing these old photos.

Thanks for that info gaz786. Had a good look at the photos,i can understand why we call ed it grimey  !! It didnt feel that way when we were kids growing up ,so many places to explore and get up to mischief. happy days they definitely were.🙂

For me it was the 70s,from 73 to 79,went to gigs,festivals,met new mates and other friends.prog rock,and heavy rock were my staple diet.went out 6 nights a week ,had to rest up mondays.😊

Hi I was just reading this forum on grimethorpe and saw my name 

I'm Tony pinder how are all 

you old people. 

I lived on botham street from 1962 

Till I think 72 I loved it and i wish I could go back

Summers were always red hot 

and winters were always 6foot of snow 

Bloody miss it 

Now ive got grand kids and they are always on about global warming they should have lived next to firth Brown's for a few years 

Polution I'll show you bloody polution

It was fantastic.

Miss you all 

Every bloody one of you x

Hi gary course i remember you 

How are you ,

Did you know my mum went to school with youre dad.

Sorry to hear about your dad mate .

My memory is shocking i cant believe how much you remember,i remember a few people ,

Pete farnell he moved to shiregreen and we lived a few doors apart in the 90s.

Kieth ford, he moved to shiregreen and still lives here,

I remember the baileys, the wilsons from the bottom of botham st, and i remember michell seal from school,i liked michell she was a right laugh at school.

When i read some of the names mentioned i remember the names but not the faces,but i left grimme in 72 and i was only 10 .

when you all went to whiteways i never went there.i went to hartley brook then firth park comp.

After we moved to shiregreen i spent all my time at my grand parents on skinnethorpe.

15 hours ago, S4 8GG said:

Sorry to hear about your dad mate .

My memory is shocking i cant believe how much you remember,i remember a few people ,

Pete farnell he moved to shiregreen and we lived a few doors apart in the 90s.

Kieth ford, he moved to shiregreen and still lives here,

I remember the baileys, the wilsons from the bottom of botham st, and i remember michell seal from school,i liked michell she was a right laugh at school.

When i read some of the names mentioned i remember the names but not the faces,but i left grimme in 72 and i was only 10 .

when you all went to whiteways i never went there.i went to hartley brook then firth park comp.

After we moved to shiregreen i spent all my time at my grand parents on skinnethorpe.

Hi ,i thought i would chip in,Michelle Seal was my sisters best friend,who was then called Kay Wild.We lived at no.3 Botham Street,the house that stood on its own.We moved to Shiregreen in january 73.It was strange for me because the week before we moved i went to see the new house with my dad on a saturday morning to take a few measurements,carpets and curtains etc,but there was the worst fog you can imagine,a reyt pea souper !! so couldnt really see the area much,then the following day i broke my femur playing football.Was in the old Royal hospital for 3 months in traction so didnt get to see the house until the middle of April.I do remember you from those grimesthorpe days Tony.Renwicks,Butlers ,Mcdonalds were on Carlisle road but shared the same yard as us.Barry Renwick was my best mate,you might remember his younger brother Kevin.Teales,Wilsons GoodladsHudsons Johnsons Daleys and more Wilds spring to mind.

Edited by bothamlad
missed something out

Hi all , Botham lad you know i know all the names on that list ,hope you are well pal. Saw the name Farnell on the previous posting , i used to live next to them on Cyclops st . I think it was Barbara and Bob , i remember their kids being born a boy and a girl , i think the girl was called Tracy not sure about the lad. Then we all ended up in bloody shiregreen and that ended a good community , never been the same after.

Still think of those cricket matches in your yard , 6 and out or 1 hand catch off the wall HAHA.

jIM.

Edited by jad279

Hi jim,hope your ok matey,glad we had our old dog Mick,to chase round and fetch the ball when it went over into the brickyard !! he did lose the scent a few times and come back with half a house brick !!

Ay up Botham lad , yes i remember your old dog , he saved us some leg work . Do you remember playing football on Graves car park and the enormous drop if you kicked the ball over . I think we used to station some small boys down there to fetch the ball back , with a promise to let them play later. 😁

yep i do remember those footy games ,that goal with the metal frame for netting  and steel sheet roller for a crossbar was marvelous,it made it worthwhile being in the net for a while.Those poor little buggers never got a game though did they,im sure we carried on playing when it got dark because of the street lights !!

Just now, bothamlad said:

yep i do remember those footy games ,that goal with the metal frame for netting  and steel sheet roller for a crossbar was marvelous,it made it worthwhile being in the net for a while.Those poor little buggers never got a game though did they,im sure we carried on playing when it got dark because of the street lights !!

Sent you a p.m. by the way jim.👍

Does anyone know the Baker family that lived on cyclops st on the right and side in the 60sand 70s