Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi cat631 and johnpm - The chapel on Grimesthorpe Rd was run by the Fidler family who lived over near Burngreave as I recall, (not letting me open that johnpm). The shot showing the race cat631, on that part of Botham St, we called the 'flags', that's the houses showing the step-up frontage on the rightside. fleetwood

Francis Butler used to run a Youth Club there which I used to go to, about 1964/65.

Hemmingway's lived in the same yard as me, mother & father was Charlie & Pat, the kids names was John, Rodney, & Patricia. In the book that Alan Billam wrote is a photo of Patricia with my dog taken on Peter st. After school I sometimes helped in the shop.

I couldn't open John's photo but then found it on Picture Sheffield. I've stopped using Photo Bucket, instead use Imgur and find it much better. I will try doing what Voldy suggests for posting pics on the forum but does this only work with Picture Sheffield. Like John, I have tried to copy and paste without success.

Thanks for your comments on the Botham Street Photos and chapel.

I too attended the youth club that George mentions but a bit earlier, about 1961/62 and remember Francis very well, I still see his brother Roy occasionally. Roy tells a good tale about his Dad and his pigeons. When the Asians began moving into Grimesthorpe they would walk up to Cookies farm at the top of Wincobank Lane to buy chickens then stuff them head first into shopping bags with just their feet stuck out of the top, take them home and chase them around the back yard and do the deed themselves.

Johnny Butler saw an opportunity and sold them a few pigeons for the pot but the crafty little buggers were having none of it and given half a chance the old homing pigeons were up and away back to Butlers' loft.

Back to the chapel, I remember the Fiddler family mentioned by Fleetwood but not the Temperance Hall mentioned by Kinjuro. I think the youth club met in a hall to the rear of the chapel but like we keep saying to our grandkids. 'It was a long time ago'.

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 22:23 ----------

Just had a think about Kinjuros Temperance Hall. Was it further down the hill and through an archway? Seem to remember a dancing school there.

Edited by cat631

Copy (left click) on the Sheffieldpicture URL comes up blue) then (Ctrl+C) and paste (Ctrl+V) into your post like this; http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc01201&pos=3&action=zoom&id=102444; works for me John.

Thanks Voldy. Its worked :

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;arc01201&pos=4&action=zoom&id=102444

Secret is to copy the url not the photo !

Ay up Steve , good to see back on the forum.Soon be time for another pint or two.

Anyway bact to the Botham St picture , I can always remember running up Botham St in one of the Jonny Butler sports day races.

Good days .

Jim.

---------- Post added 21-11-2017 at 19:12 ----------

As for the chapel ? on Grimesthorpe hill , i can remember Francis Butler running the Boys Guild from there , it was a bit like the Boys Brigade . Does anyone else remember it ?

Hi cat do you have any more photos from Grimesthorpe you can post ? Have seen all picture Sheffield pics love them my uncle AWoollen used to post them but has not been on for a while (hint) the pics bring back great memories :help:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cat631/albums

All the Grimesthorpe photos I have are here. I don't lay claim to most of them, they've all been on the forum or the internet and collected them into one place.

Great pictures, brings back many happy memories from long ago, but not forgotten.

Yes great pictures , just wish i could put names to faces , but then its been a long time since i was in Grimey .:hihi:

If any one has a photo or photos relating to Grimesthorpe they would like adding to the collection, please email them.

Thanks, Ralph.

ruperthehun@aol.com

---------- Post added 22-11-2017 at 17:55 ----------

Yes great pictures , just wish i could put names to faces , but then its been a long time since i was in Grimey .:hihi:

Tell us which albums they are in, I'm sure someone will put a name to them.

Hi , i would like some names from the reunion pics , i must know some of them, as i was born in Grimesthorpe in 1955 and lived there till our house was demolished in about 1973 , and having gone to Grimesthorpe and Owler Lane / Earl Marshall schools.

Jim.

I couldn't open John's photo but then found it on Picture Sheffield. I've stopped using Photo Bucket, instead use Imgur and find it much better. I will try doing what Voldy suggests for posting pics on the forum but does this only work with Picture Sheffield. Like John, I have tried to copy and paste without success.

Thanks for your comments on the Botham Street Photos and chapel.

I too attended the youth club that George mentions but a bit earlier, about 1961/62 and remember Francis very well, I still see his brother Roy occasionally. Roy tells a good tale about his Dad and his pigeons. When the Asians began moving into Grimesthorpe they would walk up to Cookies farm at the top of Wincobank Lane to buy chickens then stuff them head first into shopping bags with just their feet stuck out of the top, take them home and chase them around the back yard and do the deed themselves.

Johnny Butler saw an opportunity and sold them a few pigeons for the pot but the crafty little buggers were having none of it and given half a chance the old homing pigeons were up and away back to Butlers' loft.

Back to the chapel, I remember the Fiddler family mentioned by Fleetwood but not the Temperance Hall mentioned by Kinjuro. I think the youth club met in a hall to the rear of the chapel but like we keep saying to our grandkids. 'It was a long time ago'.

---------- Post added 20-11-2017 at 22:23 ----------

Just had a think about Kinjuros Temperance Hall. Was it further down the hill and through an archway? Seem to remember a dancing school there.

Your right there Ralph i went to ballet lessons there,and i was christened at the methodist chapel also went to Sunday school too.Hope your well.

Your right there Ralph i went to ballet lessons there,and i was christened at the methodist chapel also went to Sunday school too.Hope your well.

The Temperance Hall was through a large archway immediately after and lower down than the chapel. It was situated to the back of the yard and as I recall you went up some stairs to enter, it might have had space underneath which was used for storage like ladders etc, I'm thinking even room for a car. fleetwood