Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi St Petre, I lived at no. 17 Edgar Street from 1955 until it was demolished. My friends and neighbours were The Barkers, Sharps, Leggit, Kaczmarczyk, Cryers, Smiths, Trevor Barlow and The Braeley brothers on Lyons Street, I think you must have lived on Petre Street. We lived directly below The Dagenarts who lived on Petre Street. Cheers

Yes I lived down by the Post Office, the Dagenarts (Colin ?) lived near the bus stop.

Edited by stpetre
add

Yes I lived down by the Post Office, the Dagenarts (Colin ?) lived near the bus stop.

Hi St Petre, A couple of years ago I posted some photos of the area on photobucket. Here is the link if it still works.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/28...c9ffs.jpg.html

---------- Post added 21-08-2017 at 19:59 ----------

Hi St Petre, A couple of years ago I posted some photos of the area on photobucket. Here is the link if it still works.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/28...c9ffs.jpg.html

Does not work anymore

Edited by SaintsAll
not possible

Hi I'm trying to find a photo of a pancake race I think it was held on adsett st outside the prince of wales public house

Hi all - My Dads local was the 'Who Can Tell'. The Ooker took part in a games league which my Dad belonged, playing darts, crib and dominoes, they would go to play in other surrounding pubs and likewise those pubs would send their players back to play, just like home and away. The Hensmans were the Landlord and Landlady, I think his name might have been Henry and hers was Ginny, I believe they might have had relatives at the top of Botham St also. The 'Who Can Tell' had a ladies night on Tuesdays where Black Pudding and new cakes were served in the best room, with Ginny playing hostess, I recall this room having accsess on the small road that backed on to the Brickyard. fleetwood

Edited by fleetwood

Hi all - My Dads local was the 'Who Can Tell'. The Ooker took part in a games league which my Dad belonged, playing darts, crib and dominoes, they would go to play in other surrounding pubs and likewise those pubs would send their players back to play, just like home and away. The Hensmans were the Landlord and Landlady, I think his name might have been Henry and hers was Ginny, I believe they might have had relatives at the top of Botham St also. The 'Who Can Tell' had a ladies night on Tuesdays where Black Pudding and new cakes were served in the best room, with Ginny playing hostess, I recall this room having accsess on the small road that backed on to the Brickyard. fleetwood

That would be Ruthin Street.

Just in case anyone's not seen it, here's a link to the photo of the 'Who Can Tell' on Picture Sheffield....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21772&prevUrl=

Great shot PeterP - Thanks for putting that up, it's just as I remember it. fleetwood

Just in case anyone's not seen it, here's a link to the photo of the 'Who Can Tell' on Picture Sheffield....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21772&prevUrl=

Got that pic in colour Peter,can remember the big gates leading onto the brick yard being a dark green.Had a few halfs in there but i only lived on the next st.And a short cut through the gates down to the Alexandra.

Great shot PeterP - Thanks for putting that up, it's just as I remember it. fleetwood

You're welcome fleetwood and thankyou for your response. :)

---------- Post added 07-11-2017 at 14:29 ----------

Got that pic in colour Peter,can remember the big gates leading onto the brick yard being a dark green.Had a few halfs in there but i only lived on the next st.And a short cut through the gates down to the Alexandra.

Hi Sheila,

I would like to see the pic in colour. I had never been through those gates when I moved from Adsetts Street to Shiregreen Flower Estate in 1958 when I was 14. We had a garden hut there painted dark green. Whenever I see something that colour and shade it's ''garden 'ut green'' to me. :hihi:

Here's my Mother in her garden with the said hut in c1959. Needed to be in colour, but couldn't afford colour photos in those days. :).... Then click on the pic for a bigger one....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QMAc0jvqOJVWouk93

PS have reposted the pic as didn't work originally.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I used to live just above the Hooker and can remember playing by the Brickyard gates . As i remember there used to be a small doorway cut in the gates and can remember going thru it and seeing large blocks , but then i would only be small.

Jim.

Hi St Petre, I lived at no. 17 Edgar Street from 1955 until it was demolished. My friends and neighbours were The Barkers, Sharps, Leggit, Kaczmarczyk, Cryers, Smiths, Trevor Barlow and The Braeley brothers on Lyons Street, I think you must have lived on Petre Street. We lived directly below The Dagenarts who lived on Petre Street. Cheers

Did you live near the Walmsley's ?