Grimesthorpe Part 3

I think the Hodson was on the corner of Draper Street and Carlisle Road. There was a snug there, a tiny place with only enough room for 3-4 chairs, that was frequented by one or two elderly ladies. It was also where you went for a drink to take out and you would often see someone going for a "jug".

Yes rohsgran, the Hodson was where you thought it was.

Hi cat631, here's a pic showing part of the Hodson, but can't find one of the Crown....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14971&pos=2&action=zoom&id=17764

Peter.

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 13:36 ----------

correct, The Crown was on the left, the shop on the right was Dougies barber shop

Thanks for that TFishcake about Sharp Street my post 1707. :)

Peter.

---------- Post added 19-06-2017 at 17:51 ----------

--------------------

Hi Peter, On me picture No1693 where the ladies are stood the chip shop

was just there and it had about 3 steps to climb, look on your pic No1697

you can see a sign on the wall left of Botham st that was the chippy.

---------

I also like your other picture, times many i've hung around there and

catching bus to town. Brian. :|

Hi Brian,

Yes I see the chip shop sign.

All precious memories eh? :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

correct, The Crown was on the left, the shop on the right was Dougies barber shop

Tried all sorts Terry to find a pic of the crown never managed it.

Thanks everyone for your replies and the Hodson Photo. I've been trying for a while to complete a photographic record of Grimesthorpe's pubs and now just need The Crown.

I believe there was The Dolphin pub, possibly at the bottom of Draper Street. That's been mentioned on here but don't expect to find a photo of it.

You will be very lucky to find a picture of the Crown pub Ralph, as many have been looking for one for ages, without any luck.

Dor's and I had our wedding reception there when Ken and June ran it in the mid 60's, they didn't have a licence to sell spirits, so I got them from the Hope & Anchor Brewery where I worked at the time, and because we were buying the beer from Ken, he was satisfied with what he got from the beer sales, so we got the room for free also, and his brother was our waiter, and all he we had to do was pay for his beer for the night.

Thanks everyone for your replies and the Hodson Photo. I've been trying for a while to complete a photographic record of Grimesthorpe's pubs and now just need The Crown.

I believe there was The Dolphin pub, possibly at the bottom of Draper Street. That's been mentioned on here but don't expect to find a photo of it.

my friend, Keith Hicks used to live in what was the Dolphin, I remember seeing n old door in their outhouse with the name engraved in the glass

Hi stpetre,

Thanks for that. I realise that Sharp street was just below Botham Street.

Was the crown just out of shot on the left of the first pic below? Looks like a shop on the right. The only trace of Sharp Street now in existence, as far as I am aware, is the small round ironwork in the middle of the street near the bottom of pic. It's now surrounded by concrete in a business yard. There's a similar one on Adsetts Street where I lived. Possibly a fire hydrant cover??.....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19320&pos=8&action=zoom&id=21868

Here's another pic. of Sharp Street...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26799&pos=10&action=zoom&id=29218

Peter.

---------------------

Hi Peter and All, If you look up Crown hill to the left and upside of

the fence at that corner, that was where the Crown pub was and

opposite the little st was Duggie's Hairdressers.

You can see on Peters picture page 86 No 1707.

2, The lamp post was where Duggie's hairdresser was and where the black car

is was the Crown pub, that little opening led to Sharp St.

3, Looking down Carlisle rd- Crown Hill, Shame know one has a picture

of the Crow pub. Brian.

Edited by brian1941
pics

Hi Peter

I have just been looking at some of your recent photos and number 29218 (Sharpe Street) is of my younger sister (Valerie) and her two children. Thanks for posting the one of the Hodson as it shows Draper Street as it was when I lived there. There is a lamp post at the bottom where we used to swing from an old clothes line in the late thirties/early forties.

Rohsgran

---------- Post added 20-06-2017 at 17:33 ----------

Hi stpetre,

Thanks for that. I realise that Sharp street was just below Botham Street.

Was the crown just out of shot on the left of the first pic below? Looks like a shop on the right. The only trace of Sharp Street now in existence, as far as I am aware, is the small round ironwork in the middle of the street near the bottom of pic. It's now surrounded by concrete in a business yard. There's a similar one on Adsetts Street where I lived. Possibly a fire hydrant cover??.....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s19320&pos=8&action=zoom&id=21868

Here's another pic. of Sharp Street...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26799&pos=10&action=zoom&id=29218

Peter.

Hi Peter

I have just been having a look at some of your recent photos and was surprised to find that number 29218 (Sharpe Street) is of my younger sister (Valerie) and her two children.

Rohsgran

Re: Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (part3)

Hi Peter

I have just been looking at some of your recent photos and number 29218 (Sharpe Street) is of my younger sister (Valerie) and her two children. Thanks for posting the one of the Hodson as it shows Draper Street as it was when I lived there. There is a lamp post at the bottom where we used to swing from an old clothes line in the late thirties/early forties.

Re: Anyone come from Grimesthorpe? (part3)

Hi Peter

Edited by rohsgran
DUPICATED

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the pics on your post 1714.

The fire hydrant cover on Sharp Street, shown in 1965, on the first pic on my post 1707 (shown above on your post), can be seen on the ground, surrounded by concrete, behind the black car in the middle of the driveway on your pic post 1714. If you compare the two pics this helps to fairly precisely place where the Crown and Dougies barber shop were. The grate is a little small but I can easily see it on my computer zoom facility.

Peter.

---------- Post added 20-06-2017 at 18:12 ----------

Hi rohsgran,

Thanks for you comments on post 1715.

It's nice to see you sister and her children

I remember sledging down Draper Street on ice in around 1949/50 I think.

Must have many times seen the lamp post you mention. :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

I spoke too soon, another pub I'm missing is The Prince of Wales on Addsets Street. Perhaps Peter or Terry could tell us where it was.

Skippy's tale of The Crown throws up another point, apparently pubs without a spirits license were called Beer Houses. I mentioned his post to my brother who held his 21st in The Crown and got their spirits from the Alex down the hill.The Massey family ran The Crown then.

Many years ago there was another beer house on Upwell Street called The Upwell Inn between Chambers Lane and Carlisle Street East.

Here's list of pubs within the parish of Grimesthorpe: (When I worra lad).

1) Wellington on Brightside Lane.

2) Wellington on Carlisle Road.

3) Victoria "

4) Hodson "

5) Crown "

6) Alexandra "

7) Prince of Wales on Addsets Street.

8) Who Can Tell on Botham Street

9) Hallcarr Tavern at t'other end of Grimesthorpe.

10) Sheffield Arms on Upwell Street.

11) Ball "

12) Bowling Green on Upwell Lane.

13) Beehive "

14) Firth Park Hotel on Page Hall Road.

And not forgetting Grimesthorpe WMC.

If you can think of anymore please let us know.

Edited by cat631

I spoke too soon, another pub I'm missing is The Prince of Wales on Addsets Street. Perhaps Peter or Terry could tell us where it was.

Skippy's tale of The Crown throws up another point, apparently pubs without a spirits license were called Beer Houses. I mentioned his post to my brother who held his 21st in The Crown and got their spirits from the Alex down the hill.The Massey family ran The Crown then.

Many years ago there was another beer house on Upwell Street called The Upwell Inn between Chambers Lane and Carlisle Street East.

Here's list of pubs within the parish of Grimesthorpe: (When I worra lad).

1) Wellington on Brightside Lane.

2) Wellington on Carlisle Road.

3) Victoria "

4) Hodson "

5) Crown "

6) Alexandra "

7) Prince of Wales on Addsets Street.

8) Who Can Tell on Botham Street

9) Hallcarr Tavern at t'other end of Grimesthorpe.

10) Sheffield Arms on Upwell Street.

11) Ball "

12) Bowling Green on Upwell Lane.

13) Beehive "

14) Firth Park Hotel on Page Hall Road.

And not forgetting Grimesthorpe WMC.

If you can think of anymore please let us know.

Perhaps not Grimesthorpe but near enough, The Midland (Ward's ales) Alfred Road/ Brightside Lane.

Hi cat631,

The Prince of Wales Feathers was on the corner of Adsetts Street and Clevedon Street.

The Magnet sign can be seen on this pic on a bracket on the left at the bottom of the hill on Clevedon Street in 1965. Suters shop was directly across the junction on the corner of the level bit Clevedon Street at the opposite side of Adsetts Street.....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&prevUrl=

Unfortunately I've not seen any other pics of the pub.

Here's the same type of two sided porcelain enamel Magnet Ales sign, from Britain, which someone apparently in New York has......

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/16128-magnet-ales-sign-british

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Just in case anyone is wondering why there is a smiley face instead of a No.8 at the side of The Who Can Tell. I haven't got a clue. I edited a spelling mistake, the No.8 disappeared and the smiley face refuses to go away.

Thanks for the Prince of Wales Feathers info. Feathers, well thats something else I've learned.