Grimesthorpe Part 3

Hi kinjuro and rohsgran - Thanks for the input, I didn't knock around with Raymond because as the old saying goes we didn't live in the same neck of the woods, but I do remember him being a nice quiet lad relative to all the different types one can get mixed up with. fleetwood

Hi rohsgran,

I was at number 5 Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 to 1958. Therefore if your grandparents were in the odd numbers and a few doors up from Suters they would have probably been in my yard.

You were certainly on Draper Street most of the time I was a few hundred yards from you. :)

Peter.[/

My grandparents were called Coulson and the entrance to their yard was actually on Clevedon Street. I remember going along the passage, crossing the yard and going up some stone steps. It was the last house.in the yard so it may have been the next one to yours. ]

---------- Post added 28-05-2017 at 11:15 ----------

Would that have been the "Turleys" They used to have the shop at the corner of Bland St and Carlisle Rd,then moved there, I used to knockabout with their son Graham

The two shops I am referring to were further along Carlisle Road across from the bottom of Moss Street. They were just 2-3 doors away from one another. Denis Collins' shop was in the same block at the time. I remember the shop you are referring to. I remember going there for egg custards 1p for a little one and 2p for the larger one. My mother sent me there once or twice on a Sunday for "illegal" goods (the odd grocery item) and I was always told to put it up my jumper in case someone saw me.

Hi rohsgran,

I was at number 5 Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 to 1958. Therefore if your grandparents were in the odd numbers and a few doors up from Suters they would have probably been in my yard.

You were certainly on Draper Street most of the time I was a few hundred yards from you. :)

Peter.[/

My grandparents were called Coulson and the entrance to their yard was actually on Clevedon Street. I remember going along the passage, crossing the yard and going up some stone steps. It was the last house.in the yard so it may have been the next one to yours. ]

---------- Post added 28-05-2017 at 11:15 ----------

The two shops I am referring to were further along Carlisle Road across from the bottom of Moss Street. They were just 2-3 doors away from one another. Denis Collins' shop was in the same block at the time. I remember the shop you are referring to. I remember going there for egg custards 1p for a little one and 2p for the larger one. My mother sent me there once or twice on a Sunday for "illegal" goods (the odd grocery item) and I was always told to put it up my jumper in case someone saw me.

Hi rohsgran,

I couldn't remember if Suters was the only one on Adsetts Street in that yard.

The next one to your grandparents, i.e.the first one in my yard, was Briggs. I recall them moving in in my early memories so had thought maybe your grandparents were there before them. Obviously not. :)

My house was at the opposite end to Briggs.

Have sent you a pm.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Quite right he he Joe Bothamley did run the chippy along with his wife who was the daughter of Mrs Smith, I do believe he was a builder, I seemed to remember they bought a house at Woodhouse Mill next door to the working man's club. I'm not sure but I think it was the couple who had "The Prince of Wales " on Adsetts St surname of Shaw applied to be steward there. It was the name of the people who had the chippy after them who's name I can't remember. This was the early 60's . Jean J

Would that have been the "Turleys" They used to have the shop at the corner of Bland St and Carlisle Rd,then moved there, I used to knockabout with their son Graham

Hi rohsgran,

Peter.

--------------------

Hi Peter, Sheila, All.

Here is my Compulsory Purchase order from Hunsley St 1972.

On the day i moved out of my home i was'nt sure if i felt nervous

or scared i knew nothing about Estates. Although i was a little excited

when we went for the house keys for the new address.

We moved to Southey Hill on Parson Cross in march of that year,

My wife and me took the bus up to meet the removal van at the new

address whilst my brother locked our old place up ( Sadly i missed).

First thing we did was put the kettle on, you know like you do,

the house had smokeless fuel coal which later we change to gas.

The kitchen was a pokey place and no room for table and chairs

we ate in the room with trays on our knees, it was a two bedroom

house with fair size rooms, but it was nice to walk into the bathroom

knowing we would'nt be calling at Sutherland Rd public baths anymore.

We had gardens front and back which i enjoyed doing, i built an old

cold frame and grew tomatoes, there was a Rhubarb patch and lots

to eat from also we did well from the Loganberries at the bottom

of the garden. But you know what, it was strange looking at all the gardens

left to right and so much open space compared to the old back yard

see'ing four toilets and four back doors. I thought i'd miss my friend

and Neighbours once we left Grimesthorpe but unbeknowing my next

door Neighboures came to live three doors away from me.

As time passed on i eventually saw more Grimesthorpe people around

the Estates. To finish this story i live on a No5 bus route that took me

to work, i'd get off the No5 bus bottom of Newhall rd then walk

on Saville st onto Firth Browns where i worked.

No5 bus also served a purpose it took me to Grimesthorpe Workingmens

club on Earl Marshell Rd, how very handy that was has i got to see

family and friends from Grimesthorpe and people came from all over

some from as Pitsmoor and far as Jordonthorpe at w/ends.

I still miss the old club but we've all moved on now and years away

we've all got older. I came across my Compulsory papers looking through

a tins in the wardrobe so i thought why not put a little story together.

Loverly Memories of Grimesthorpe. Your's Brian. :thumbsup:

Edited by brian1941

Hi Brian,

I enjoyed your story about moving house. It was a good idea!

Although I was only 14, I had some similar feelings to yourself about the new area and way of life when I moved from Grimesthorpe to Foxglove Road, Shiregreen Flower Estate.

Here's Foxglove Road snapped in 1967, two years after I married and left.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15949&prevUrl=

My Great Aunt Lily, who lived on Foxglove Road since the property was built, had agreed to exchange houses with us so we could gain a third bedroom. Mother and Dad, my two younger brothers and my little sister moved in 1958. There was still a Yorkshire range in, the toilet was outside but attached to the house!! The bath was retro fitted in the kitchen with a board over when not in use and had hot and cold water!!! Gardens were front and back with hedges!!!! Trees on the roadsides. The air seemed so fresh. The roads were tarmac. Seemed a different world up there.

I stayed at Earl Marshall Secondary School as had only 6 more months before leaving. Caught a tram at Firth Park. Then started at Firth Browns Head Offices in Feb.1959. Only a little further to travel.

Here are some late 50s pics at our house on Foxglove Road....

My sister and Great Aunt Lily...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Foxglove%20Road%20Hazel%20with%20Great%20Aunt%20Lily_zpsrxvigfdm.jpg

Mother loved her garden...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Mother%20in%20garden_zpswebj18u3.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Mother%20all%20dressed%20up_zps2aztm1j0.jpg

Stephen and Hazel my siblings...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Stephen%20and%20Hazxel%20on%20path%20in%20garden_zpsggwdzrsn.jpg

Hazel out front with a boyfriend...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Foxglove%20Road%20Hazel%20playing%20in%20road_zpserlxe0e7.jpg

Me.... Look at our lovely big old rose bush. Probably planted by Great Aunt Lily and Great Uncle Harry many years earlier.

I can smell the perfume now :) ...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Peter%20Aug%201959%20on%20street%20by%20a%20car_zpsl4czyozq.jpg

I went from Earl Marshall school on to working and my mates were then at Firth Browns.

I was courting my late first wife at age 17 and spent most of my leisure time at Bramley near Rotherham where her family lived. We married at 22 and lived at Bramley.

Although my siblings remember more of Shiregreen, having had less early years than me at Grimesthorpe as being younger than me, and having friends there, I still regard Grimesthorpe as where my roots are and look back fondly. :)

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

I enjoyed your story about moving house. It was a good idea!

Although I was only 14, I had some similar feelings to yourself about the new area and way of life when I moved from Grimesthorpe to Foxglove Road, Shiregreen Flower Estate.

Here's Foxglove Road snapped in 1967, two years after I married and left.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s15949&prevUrl=

My Great Aunt Lily, who lived on Foxglove Road since the property was built, had agreed to exchange houses with us so we could gain a third bedroom. Mother and Dad, my two younger brothers and my little sister moved in 1958. There was still a Yorkshire range in, the toilet was outside but attached to the house!! The bath was retro fitted in the kitchen with a board over when not in use and had hot and cold water!!! Gardens were front and back with hedges!!!! Trees on the roadsides. The air seemed so fresh. The roads were tarmac. Seemed a different world up there.

I stayed at Earl Marshall Secondary School as had only 6 more months before leaving. Caught a tram at Firth Park. Then started at Firth Browns Head Offices in Feb.1959. Only a little further to travel.

Here are some late 50s pics at our house on Foxglove Road....

My sister and Great Aunt Lily...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Foxglove%20Road%20Hazel%20with%20Great%20Aunt%20Lily_zpsrxvigfdm.jpg

Mother loved her garden...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Mother%20in%20garden_zpswebj18u3.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Mother%20all%20dressed%20up_zps2aztm1j0.jpg

Stephen and Hazel my siblings...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Stephen%20and%20Hazxel%20on%20path%20in%20garden_zpsggwdzrsn.jpg

Hazel out front with a boyfriend...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Foxglove%20Road%20Hazel%20playing%20in%20road_zpserlxe0e7.jpg

Me.... Look at our lovely big old rose bush. Probably planted by Great Aunt Lily and Great Uncle Harry many years earlier.

I can smell the perfume now :) ...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Peter%20Aug%201959%20on%20street%20by%20a%20car_zpsl4czyozq.jpg

I went from Earl Marshall school on to working and my mates were then at Firth Browns.

I was courting my late first wife at age 17 and spent most of my leisure time at Bramley near Rotherham where her family lived. We married at 22 and lived at Bramley.

Although my siblings remember more of Shiregreen, having had less early years than me at Grimesthorpe as being younger than me, and having friends there, I still regard Grimesthorpe as where my roots are and look back fondly. :)

Peter.

--------------------

Thanks Peter for all your pics today and all them you sent on page82

No1631. The person who invented camara's is worth the weight in gold,

i love photo's they all have memorise. Your children will treasure all

your in years to come and all have been loverly to look at.

Your picture of Foxglove Rd you can see it looks like an Estate with the

house, big differents to the one on Addsett St.

Matter of intrest where did you have your bonfires in Grimesthorpe

did you ever get involve in collecting fire wood as a kid.

What other things as a kid did you get up to did you have a bicycle,

what stories have you got. Brian

Sorry TFishcake the name "Turley's" doesn't ring any bells.

Hi rohsgran,

Peter.

My grandparents lived at number 15 Adsetts Street. Also my youngest sister married Paul Howarth who lived at number 3, next door to you, but she can't remember when he moved there. She wonders if you knew Harry Briggs?

Hi rohsgran, I can remember the name Harry Briggs he was at school the same time as me, another name comes to mind who I think lived on or around Adsetts st Dennis Hale

Jean J

---------- Post added 31-05-2017 at 17:18 ----------

rohsgran you spoke about a family called Coulson did they have a girl called Valarie

--------------------

Thanks Peter for all your pics today and all them you sent on page82

No1631. The person who invented camara's is worth the weight in gold,

i love photo's they all have memorise. Your children will treasure all

your in years to come and all have been loverly to look at.

Your picture of Foxglove Rd you can see it looks like an Estate with the

house, big differents to the one on Addsett St.

Matter of intrest where did you have your bonfires in Grimesthorpe

did you ever get involve in collecting fire wood as a kid.

What other things as a kid did you get up to did you have a bicycle,

what stories have you got. Brian

Hi Brian,

Thankyou for your kind comments.

I have 3 children, 9 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren aged from a few months to 50 years. I was keen on photography in the 60s to 90s, mainly to record our way of life, and took 3 or 4 thousand prints and slides plus cinefilm and camcorder during that period, much of it of them, and I now can often show them a few. That period was when photography was a pricey hobby and you had to wait to have film developed to see if you had got anything :) .

My daughter is visiting us over the next couple of days so I'll be pleased to answer your questions afterwards.

Peter.

---------- Post added 31-05-2017 at 17:54 ----------

My grandparents lived at number 15 Adsetts Street. Also my youngest sister married Paul Howarth who lived at number 3, next door to you, but she can't remember when he moved there. She wonders if you knew Harry Briggs?

Hi rohsgran,

Again I'm sorry but don't recognise the name Paul Howarth. I think the people at no 3 were called Bird in my time there. I recall my sister played with their daughter of the same age. She would have been about 4 when we left in 1958.

Harry Briggs was a few years younger than me. My only memory is of pushing him around the yard once in his jeep pedal car :)

Peter.

---------- Post added 31-05-2017 at 18:16 ----------

Hi rohsgran, I can remember the name Harry Briggs he was at school the same time as me, another name comes to mind who I think lived on or around Adsetts st Dennis Hale

Jean J

rohsgran you spoke about a family called Coulson did they have a girl called Valarie

Hi Jean,

I recently bought the book ''Recollections of Grimesthorpe and beyond'' by Alan Billam. We had a short 'phone conversation during the transaction during which Alan asked me if I remembered Dennis Hale. I remembered that he lived in the last house on the left on Adsetts Street attached to the steelworks going towards Carlisle Street East. It was in the yard accessed from Clevedon Street.

I occasionally wandered into the yard, like ya did, and remember seeing him. He was older than me. I remembered his first name but not his surname. Until the afforementioned conversation I imagined it to be something like Tanner over the years but knew as soon as Alan mentioned it. :)

My strongest memory of that yard was when a young lady was being shown how to ride a motorbike by her boyfriend. I was about 6 or 7. She hit a bin which hit me and knocked me unconcious for a few seconds. Mother wasn't pleased and went to sort it and show my bruises. However they were very sorry and things ended amicably :hihi:.

Peter

Edited by PeterR

Jean J

Yes, she is my younger sister

---------- Post added 31-05-2017 at 19:40 ----------

Yes, she is my younger sister

From 1953-1955 I lived in the big yard you mention. The very last house was occupied at that time by a couple with two young boys who I think were called Hale. I seem to remember one had quite fair hair.