Grimesthorpe Part 3

I never saw that many toys Peter at our "posh" end of Grimesthorpe,the part

that is still standing.

Hi David Ra2,

When my two brothers came along there were times when I'd only got a motorbike tyre to run around the yard with. Times when I'd sit on the bin shelter with a rusty old car steering wheel rim, minus banjo wires, and put a couple of old tyres in underneath. I'd then got a brewery wagon like I used to see offloading into the cellar of the Victoria Hotel opposite our house :hihi: Bit different today eh? :)

Which street were you on?

Peter.

Hi David Ra2,

When my two brothers came along there were times when I'd only got a motorbike tyre to run around the yard with. Times when I'd sit on the bin shelter with a rusty old car steering wheel rim, minus banjo wires, and put a couple of old tyres in underneath. I'd then got a brewery wagon like I used to see offloading into the cellar of the Victoria Hotel opposite our house :hihi: Bit different today eh? :)

Which street were you on?

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Birdwell Road off Upwell Street.

David

Hi PeterR - If you lived on Adsetts St with Harrisons on the corner, did you know a Raymond Butcher who lived on the righthand side looking down (behind the Vic and the Wellington), I went to a couple of schools with him. fleetwood

Hi PeterR - If you lived on Adsetts St with Harrisons on the corner, did you know a Raymond Butcher who lived on the righthand side looking down (behind the Vic and the Wellington), I went to a couple of schools with him. fleetwood

Hi fleetwood,

I assume the house would have been on the part of Adsetts Street beyond Clevedon Street, towards Carlisle Street East, as the Wellington was on the top corner of Clevedon Street at the junction with Carlisle Road. If you click zoom I think it's the Magnet sign on The Prince of Wales Feathers pub that can be seen on the left hand side at the bottom corner of Clevedon Street and Adsetts Street on the pic below. Suters shop is across on the other side of Adsetts Street.

Sorry but I don't recall the name Raymond Butcher. Maybe he wasn't my age. I was born in Nov.'43 and left Grimesthorpe in '58.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14446&pos=2&action=zoom&id=17264

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi PeterR - Your right we're older, we did National Service, at least I did and that ended a short time later. fleetwood

Hello jean j my wife says her uncle joe bothamley had the chippy after mrs smith into the 60s hope it helps

Hi PeterR - Your right we're older, we did National Service, at least I did and that ended a short time later. fleetwood

I just missed National Service; remember a big sign on Herries rd railway bridge saying "Cut the Call Up". I did a month at Outward Bound Sea School at Aberdovey though when I was 18 so that gave me a short version! Really enjoyed it after I got used to the amount of exercise we did starting at 6am every day with cold shower !!! Our watch won the Watch competition which was a great achievement. See below ( me seated on extreme right)

outbnd_zpsii8lxqqd.jpg

Quite right he he Joe Bothamley did run the chippy along with his wife who was the daughter of Mrs Smith, I do believe he was a builder, I seemed to remember they bought a house at Woodhouse Mill next door to the working man's club. I'm not sure but I think it was the couple who had "The Prince of Wales " on Adsetts St surname of Shaw applied to be steward there. It was the name of the people who had the chippy after them who's name I can't remember. This was the early 60's . Jean J

i knew raymond butcher very well , when i was a young lad raymond gave me a piece of pineapple and it was the best thing i had ever tasted , this was just after ww2 and the only pineapple we had ever seen was a pot one in mrs wilkinsons shop window on carlisle road, it was great until i told mum what i'd had, she ran to raymonds house and he confessed he had given me a piece from the middle of a cabbage stalk but i still thought it was great, imagination is far better than reality.

his mom was called laura and she would help anyone and he had a lovely dog called bob it had the look of an old english sheepdog until one hot summer raymond clipped all his hair off as he thought bob looked too hot.

regards

I vaguely remember Raymond Butcher, his mother Laura and his older sister Joyce, in fact I think that they were distant relatives of mine. My grandparents lived on Adsetts Street just a few doors above Suter's grocery shop, and I lived on Draper Street from being born in 1932 to 1954. Does anyone remember the two sweet shops on Carlisle Road? One was called Gregory's where the lady who served had a hand missing. When she was serving the sweets she used to hold the bag against her while she filled up the bag. I think the other one was called Lycetts but I may be confusing this with another shop.

Rohsgran

I vaguely remember Raymond Butcher, his mother Laura and his older sister Joyce, in fact I think that they were distant relatives of mine. My grandparents lived on Adsetts Street just a few doors above Suter's grocery shop, and I lived on Draper Street from being born in 1932 to 1954. Does anyone remember the two sweet shops on Carlisle Road? One was called Gregory's where the lady who served had a hand missing. When she was serving the sweets she used to hold the bag against her while she filled up the bag. I think the other one was called Lycetts but I may be confusing this with another shop.

Rohsgran

Hi rohsgran,

I was at number 5 Adsetts Street from birth in 1943 to 1958. Therefore if your grandparents were in the odd numbers and a few doors up from Suters they would have probably been in my yard.

You were certainly on Draper Street most of the time I was a few hundred yards from you. :)

Peter.

Would that have been the "Turleys" They used to have the shop at the corner of Bland St and Carlisle Rd,then moved there, I used to knockabout with their son Graham