Grimesthorpe Part 3

Didn't see Jeans post Peter,yes it was Dick Mellon.My dad and Jeans husband were cousins but bet you'd worked that out.Lol

...................................................................................

More or less Sheila, but your above post confirms it now :hihi:

Peter.

Hi Brian and stpetre,

Glad you found the pics. interesting.

I transfered from the Lifeboys to the Boys Brigade on 28 Sept '56 Brian. Still have my certificates :) I left after only about six months. Would you have been there during that time, late '56 to early '57 ??

Also, just letting you know that the thread 'Anyone worked at Firth Browns?', which was closed, is now reinstated.

Peter.

------------------------------

Hi Peter, Yes the pics were great, regards the Boy's Brigade i think

i started at the Reform Chaple 59/60ish.

Did you ever do first aid lessons and on friday night we did PE and

indoor sports, Charlie Wise was our captain. I had just one away holiday

to jersey with the staff and the lads. Very good that was. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry to keep bombarding you with this,

But it is really urgent!!!

Did anyone know a yemeni man went by the name Fred a steel worker who use to live on carlisle rd. He use to be a regular at either Crown pub or the Alexandra Hotel pub.

Please if anyone recalls can you let me know or spread the word around to anyone else who may know him.

Thank you

Sorry to keep bombarding you with this,

But it is really urgent!!!

Did anyone know a yemeni man went by the name Fred a steel worker who use to live on carlisle rd. He use to be a regular at either Crown pub or the Alexandra Hotel pub.

Please if anyone recalls can you let me know or spread the word around to anyone else who may know him.

Thank you

------------------

I thought he went back to yemin. :suspect::roll:

------------------------------

Hi Peter, Yes the pics were great, regards the Boy's Brigade i think

i started at the Reform Chaple 59/60ish.

Did you ever do first aid lessons and on friday night we did PE and

indoor sports, Charlie Wise was our captain. I had just one away holiday

to jersey with the staff and the lads. Very good that was. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi Brian,

We missed each other by a couple of years then eh? :)

I seem to remember first aid and indoor sports, but didn't go to Jersey.

Charlie Wise occasionaly attended the Lifeboy sessions. His wife Amy B Wise (lovely name eh?) was the 'Leader in Charge'. They were both lovely people who we owe a lot to.

Here they both are at the Staithes camp with Lifeboys in either 1955 or 1956. It was unusual to see them not in uniform. I'm in the middle of back row. Pic courtesy of johnpm from another post...

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/johnpm-bucket/media/53rdLifeBoysStaithes19551150x710_zpseae709d3.jpg.html

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Brian,

We missed each other by a couple of years then eh? :)

I seem to remember first aid and indoor sports, but didn't go to Jersey.

Charlie Wise occasionaly attended the Lifeboy sessions. His wife Amy B Wise (lovely name eh?) was the 'Leader in Charge'. They were both lovely people who we owe a lot to.

Here they both are at the Staithes camp with Lifeboys in either 1955 or 1956. It was unusual to see them not in uniform. I'm in the middle of back row. Pic courtesy of johnpm from another post...

http://s230.photobucket.com/user/johnpm-bucket/media/53rdLifeBoysStaithes19551150x710_zpseae709d3.jpg.html

Peter.

---------------------------

Thanks for all them Pics Peter/ Johnpm, really enjoyed them all,

on them pics was a chap on a bicycle but i can't remember his name

he was in the Boys Bridgade while i was at the reform chaple, not sure

if he had anything to do with the younger cadets.

----------

I did notice in a picture two of the butlers in the cadets Roy/ Francis,

they lived in Cyclops st at the time i lived in the same st.

Yours Brian.

---------------------------

Thanks for all them Pics Peter/ Johnpm, really enjoyed them all,

on them pics was a chap on a bicycle but i can't remember his name

he was in the Boys Bridgade while i was at the reform chaple, not sure

if he had anything to do with the younger cadets.

----------

I did notice in a picture two of the butlers in the cadets Roy/ Francis,

they lived in Cyclops st at the time i lived in the same st.

Yours Brian.

Hi Brian, Glad you liked the pics. The chap on the bike was my dad Jim Moore. He moved to Reform Chapel in 1932 from All Saints BB (15th Sheffield) to help Cliff Minnis start the 53rd at Reform Chapel. He met my mum & they married & he stayed at the chapel. He was an officer in BB & was mace bearer of the band for early years but retired from active BB work in 1956 when I moved up from Life Boys as he didn't think it right that he was an officer when I was in.

This is a great BB photo; it shows Charlie & Amy Wise with my dad Jim & mum Marjorie at Sheffield Battalion camp at Skegness about 1937. Middle of summer, full uniform with gloves & walking sticks !!!

skegnesscamp.jpg

Hi Brian, Glad you liked the pics. The chap on the bike was my dad Jim Moore. He moved to Reform Chapel in 1932 from All Saints BB (15th Sheffield) to help Cliff Minnis start the 53rd at Reform Chapel. He met my mum & they married & he stayed at the chapel. He was an officer in BB & was mace bearer of the band for early years but retired from active BB work in 1956 when I moved up from Life Boys as he didn't think it right that he was an officer when I was in.

This is a great BB photo; it shows Charlie & Amy Wise with my dad Jim & mum Marjorie at Sheffield Battalion camp at Skegness about 1937. Middle of summer, full uniform with gloves & walking sticks !!!

skegnesscamp.jpg

Hi Brian and John,

Yes, the pictures are great!

I particularly like the Skegness one John. Have seen it before and thought it must have been in the thirties. Looks like it was possibly taken by one of the professionals who used to take a pic and give you a ticket to pick the photograph up later. In the times before everyone has a camera somewhere on their person :)

Peter.

---------- Post added 15-02-2017 at 12:28 ----------

.......................................................................................................................................................................

Hi PeterR I got your PM I did see your post under Brians. I didn't know how to put the photo on, as you will see cat631 was good enough to do it for me,the numbers I gave you were correct but for some reason it would not open the photo. Here are some of the names on your photo that I know, Wendy Booker, Ann Briklebank, Pat Evans, Fay Sellers, & Olga of course. Mr Ruttle took some pupils on a day trip to Stratford- upon - Avon I can't remember the reason for the trip. I also remember Mr Turner and Mr Unwin

Sorry I don't know how to PM you back. The car your mum said belong to a bookie I think they called him Dick Mellon he was related to my late husband, uncle I think, Sheila rf2690 may be able to clarify. JeanJ

Hi Jean,

Regarding your above post and subsequent posts on the subject. I've remembered the name where Wendy Booker lived between the back of the properties on Upwell Lane and Upwell Street. It was Brook Terrace.

Here it is in 1965 showing Bagley Dyke and looking towards Chambers Lane....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s13926&prevUrl=

and here as it was when I snapped it around 2010....

http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/peterlaurence/media/PetersPhonedownload4thFeb2014012_zps7743886c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=49

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi Peter, that's right it is Brooke Terrace, Pauline Hearnshaw lived on there as well, her dad Fred Hearnshaw had the draper's shop on(top street), then in the early 60's he moved to Firvale. Jean.

Hi Peter, that's right it is Brooke Terrace, Pauline Hearnshaw lived on there as well, her dad Fred Hearnshaw had the draper's shop on(top street), then in the early 60's he moved to Firvale. Jean.

Thanks Jean.

The Hearnshaws dont ring a bell with me, but I may well have been in the shop with my mother.

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

skegnesscamp.jpg

--------------------

Hiya John, Thanks for your interesting mail and i like the picture at

Skegness, pity i can't get the smell of the sea air haha.

---------

Was the other pics of people gathering in Firth park on Whit monday,

i enjoyed the march from Reform Chaple and up Page hall onto

to park when i was in the B.B.

PS, Charlie Wise was a Gentleman. Yours Brian.

I understand that Sheffield Battalion owned the Camp site at Skegness & they went every year certainly in the 1930's. Ladies were not allowed to stay in camp though & mum, Amy Wise & the other ladies stayed in boarding houses.

If anyone is interested in the history of Sheffield Battalion up to 1939 its detailed here in an article written by Albert Drury Smith who was Captain at Petre S t Methodist & for many years chairman of 4th Sheffield District. His son Tony Drury Smith is Captain at 1st Dronfield Coal Aston company. Sadly the history from 1939 which would have interested us was not written as far as I know.

This is the link to its history

https://sheffield.boys-brigade.org.uk/aboutus.html