Grimesthorpe Part 3

Bloody hell Steve i remember you well, i can remember playing cricket in your yard , 6 and out off any wall but you had to catch one handed ,i remember Steve Goodall Derek Booth Barry Renwick "buggie Chapman" and quite a few other used to play there. Went to Plum Lemms funeral the other week and saw Mick Wilks , i was hoping Jack would come but couldnt make it ,

Nice to hear from you Steve.

Nice one jim, our yard used to be packed with budding cricketers !! a few windows got smashed i remember,it was always a good hit over the brickyard. our dog always used to go round for the ball and come back with half a house brick! he ended up with next to no teeth.glad to be in touch with ya !!

Yes i remember Walsh's Jean,i'm very well thank you Jean,hope your the same.

---------- Post added 25-01-2017 at 20:50 ----------

Hi Sheila, (rf2690)

I'm presuming you refer to Terry Suter, but I'm afraid that after 50 years since I left Grimesthorpe my memory box doesn't always work right and although I remember his name I can't bring anything else to mind. I rarely went in Suter's shop as my mother used to send me shopping on Carlisle Road, the 'top street' as she called it.

I'm trying to bring you to mind Sheila, perhaps you would pm me your family surname and address at the time?

I found these previous posts 4503 and 4505. Click the blue type on them for photos....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8619987&highlight=terry+suter#post8619987

Best regards, Peter.

---------- Post added 27-01-2017 at 12:08 ----------

Hi Brian, sorry for my late response,

I wasn't aware of the statue. It's a worthy tribute to those women. I'll go to see it next time I'm down in Sheffield.

Would have liked a chat about crane driving with the old lady you mention. As you know I have a Firth Browns licence. Could swap a few stories :).

Here's the info you mentioned....

http://www.livingnorth.com/yorkshire/people-places/history-women-working-sheffields-steelworks

Peter.

No i knew Terry Suter Peter,he died last year.Can recall a Rhodes living opposite the club.My maiden name was Hepplestone,five girls.Mary eldest,me Sheila,Susan,Barbara and Debra but you wouldnt know the last two.We lived at at 42,Hunsley St turn left at top of Moss St ours was the house next to the shop.The shop had been a library Mrs Scott ran that,then a greengrocers,then a hairdressers.We moved in 72.Sheila.

I'm presuming, Sheila, that you refer to Terry Suter ,but I'm afraid that after 50 years since I left Grimesthorpe my memory box doesn't always work right and although I remember his name I can't bring anything else to mind. I rarely went in Suter's shop as my mother used to send me shopping on Carlisle Road, the 'top street' as she called it.

I'm trying to bring you to mind Sheila, perhaps you would pm me your family surname and address at the time?

I found these previous posts 4503 and 4505. Click the blue type on them for photos....

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8619987&highlight=terry+suter#post8619987

Best regards, Peter.

No i knew Terry Suter Peter,he died last year.Can recall a Rhodes living opposite the club.My maiden name was Hepplestone,five girls.Mary eldest,me Sheila,Susan,Barbara and Debra but you wouldnt know the last two.We lived at at 42,Hunsley St turn left at top of Moss St ours was the house next to the shop.The shop had been a library Mrs Scott ran that,then a greengrocers,then a hairdressers.We moved in 72.Sheila.

................................................................................................................

Hi Sheila,

Sorry I don't recall your name, but I must have seen you around Grimesthorpe or at the schools up to 1958 when I left the area aged 14. I'd recognise your face I think, although I believe I'm older than you. Was born in Nov '43. :) My time was spent on Carlisle Road and the streets running down from it to Adsetts Street and down to Upwell lane. I rarely went up the hill on Moss Street and to Hunsley Street..

You mention the Rhodes' living opposite the club. They lived in the next yard to me. I can recall Doreen and last saw her in about 1960 at Firth Browns. I remember Michael but don't recall Terry. I seem to recall from previous posts that these two brothers sadly passed on in 2014 within weeks of each other.

There were the backs of two houses and Harrison's shop on Adsetts Street in the yard next to me as well as the houses shown here on Grimesthorpe Road. Rhodes' was the bottom one on the right attached to the steelworks....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16522&prevUrl=

Here's another pic showing Harrison's shop on the corner of Adsetts and Grimesthorpe Road on the right and the club you mention on the left. Rhodes' house can just be made out...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16515&prevUrl=

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Nice one jim, our yard used to be packed with budding cricketers !! a few windows got smashed i remember,it was always a good hit over the brickyard. our dog always used to go round for the ball and come back with half a house brick! he ended up with next to no teeth.glad to be in touch with ya !!

Hi Steve

Last saw you at our reunion at the Firth Park Hotel some 15 years ago now. Good to know you're well and have made contact with Jim. I must get hold of Margaret Goodall and see if we can arrange another one. Are any of you on Facebook 'cos that way we can put photos on and talk to each other. So sorry I didn't make Plums funeral but flights from Spain got a bit cocked up and I ran out of time.....stupid ...retired and running out of time?

Anyhow mate take care and look after yourself

All the very best

Jack

Hi Jack, fifteen years !! where have they gone. This is the only site i'm on up to now.Retired also so have that bit more time.Found out about Plum when it was too late to make his send off. Top bloke,brought a lot of forgotten memories flooding back :) came across Jim D also.Hope life is treating you well in Spain,good to hear from you.:thumbsup: Steve

I'm presuming, Sheila, that you refer to Terry Suter ,but I'm afraid that after 50 years since I left Grimesthorpe my memory box doesn't always work right and although I remember his name I can't bring anything else to mind. I rarely went in Suter's shop as my mother used to send me shopping on Carlisle Road, the 'top street' as she called it.

Best regards, Peter.

................................................................................................................

Hi Sheila,

Sorry I don't recall your name, but I must have seen you around Grimesthorpe or at the schools up to 1958 when I left the area aged 14. I'd recognise your face I think, although I believe I'm older than you. Was born in Nov '43. :) My time was spent on Carlisle Road and the streets running down from it to Adsetts Street and down to Upwell lane. I rarely went up the hill on Moss Street and to Hunsley Street..

You mention the Rhodes' living opposite the club. They lived in the next yard to me. I can recall Doreen and last saw her in about 1960 at Firth Browns. I remember Michael but don't recall Terry. I seem to recall from previous posts that these two brothers sadly passed on in 2014 within weeks of each other.

There were the backs of two houses and Harrison's shop on Adsetts Street in the yard next to me as well as the houses shown here on Grimesthorpe Road. Rhodes' was the bottom one on the right attached to the steelworks....

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16522&prevUrl=

Here's another pic showing Harrison's shop on the corner of Adsetts and Grimesthorpe Road on the right and the club you mention on the left. Rhodes' house can just be made out...

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16515&prevUrl=

Peter.

-----------------------

Hi Peter R, That top pic with three house behind Harrisons shop did

their back yard lead to yours. In all the years i lived in Grimesthorpe

and passing them house i hardly new they were there.

Best regards, Peter.

Hi Sheila,

Peter.

I was born 47 Peter so that could explain it,i remember those 3 houses so well.

Hi Sheila,

Peter.

-----------------------

Hi Peter R, That top pic with three house behind Harrisons shop did

their back yard lead to yours. In all the years i lived in Grimesthorpe

and passing them house i hardly new they were there.

....................................................................................................

Hi Brian,

There was a wall across the two yards and no gap in it. It stretched from the houses on Adsetts Street to the steelworks high wall. Our house, 5 Adsetts Street, is the middle one on this 1st pic from the Star which I have kept since the late 60s. The toilet block for our yard can just be seen left of pic. about half way up. The entry to the yard through the houses from Adsetts Street between nos 7 and 9 is opposite the end of the toilet block, but it's where there is a crease in the paper.

(The 2nd pic shows this entry from the street side at the side of the man in the cap).

The single toilet and steps belonged to number 3 and the bin shelter attached to the wall served all in the yard. I'm not sure if Harrison's shop was part of no 1 or if it was numbered on Grimesthorpe Road with access through the shop front door. The three houses on Grimesthorpe Road had toilets out of sight left of pic. That yard was lower than ours and the dividing wall stepped up from the bin shelter to between our door and the toilet for no 3.

There were several houses in the distance out of pic and another wall attached to them and the steelworks wall and again with no gap. Over this dividing wall was the back of Suter's shop on the corner of Adsetts Street and Clevedon Street and the backs of a few houses at a right angle on the bottom end of Clevedon Street, the last one being attached end on to the steelworks wall.

The 1st pic must have been taken from the bedroom at the back of one of the three houses on Grimesthorpe Road.

The houses had been derelict for months apparently...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/where%20he%20used%20to%20live%20057_zpsf4qmgoan.jpg

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12889&prevUrl=

Peter.

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 12:33 ----------

Hi Sheila,

Peter.

..........................................................................................................

I was born 47 Peter so that could explain it,i remember those 3 houses so well.

Hi Sheila,

You must have started at Owler Lane / Earl Marshall schools when I was leaving. The 4 years difference in our ages was a lot at that time eh? :)

Here's my class leaving photo in 1958, I was 15 in the Nov. I'm middle, back row...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh629/peterlaurence/Owler%20Lane%20Schools/ClassPhoto1957-58.jpg

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

The photo's of Adsetts Street took me back a bit, Les Rhodes and myself were great friends, I used to go to their house a lot. The back room (kitchen) was an odd shape the room got narrower from the back door towards the stairs and front room door.

I feel sure that Harrisons back door was in the Rhodes's yard and Harry Briggs lived in the house at the top of the steps.

The photo's of Adsetts Street took me back a bit, Les Rhodes and myself were great friends, I used to go to their house a lot. The back room (kitchen) was an odd shape the room got narrower from the back door towards the stairs and front room door.

I feel sure that Harrisons back door was in the Rhodes's yard and Harry Briggs lived in the house at the top of the steps.

Hi geotom,

I would think the odd shape of Rhodes' house you mention was due to it being fitted to the old steelworks wall, which still exists, although the original ground level is under about five feet of rubble, probably from the demolished houses. Bet our cellar still exists :) This massive wall went in a straight line through the yard behind Rhodes' and our yard and the yards either side of the bottom of Clevedon Street and possibly continued through the steelworks all the way to Carlisle Street East. My mother told me in later life that it drove her mad at times. I imagine it would have been overbearing for her, but, for me as a child having lived there from birth in 1943 it was just there and had little effect.

Harrison's back door was in the same yard as Rhodes'. Now you mention that, I can see Mrs.Harrison in my minds eye coming out of the back door near the 'entry' leading to Grimesthorpe Road. Seems that no 1 Adsetts Street had no connection with Harrison's. However the back door would have been in that yard.

Harry Briggs was some years younger than me and lived in the house at the far end of my yard and next to the dividing wall. Over the wall was the yard bounded by Adsetts Street and Clevedon Street and, of course, the steelworks wall. :)

Unless you're thinking of the shorter flight of steps near the end of our toilet block from the yard up to house level near the yard entry, the Briggs' must have moved up the street when you knew him??

Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Hi geotom,

I would think the odd shape of Rhodes' house you mention was due to it being fitted to the old steelworks wall, which still exists, although the original ground level is under about five feet of rubble, probably from the demolished houses. Bet our cellar still exists :) This massive wall went in a straight line through the yard behind Rhodes' and our yard and the yards either side of the bottom of Clevedon Street and possibly continued through the steelworks all the way to Carlisle Street East. My mother told me in later life that it drove her mad at times. I imagine it would have been overbearing for her, but, for me as a child having lived there from birth in 1943 it was just there and had little effect.

Harrison's back door was in the same yard as Rhodes'. Now you mention that, I can see Mrs.Harrison in my minds eye coming out of the back door near the 'entry' leading to Grimesthorpe Road. Seems that no 1 Adsetts Street had no connection with Harrison's. However the back door would have been in that yard.

Harry Briggs was some years younger than me and lived in the house at the far end of my yard and next to the dividing wall. Over the wall was the yard bounded by Adsetts Street and Clevedon Street and, of course, the steelworks wall. :)

Unless you're thinking of the shorter flight of steps near the end of our toilet block from the yard up to house level near the yard entry, the Briggs' must have moved up the street when you knew him??

Peter.

------------------------------

Hi Peter, Enclose picture of the now scaffolding firm, you can see

in the picture the big long wall you mentioned on Addsett St.

-----------

Like your story on the house and the back yards, sure was untidy

in the back-picture was good. Brian.

Edited by brian1941
WORDING